New to forum, just bought a '94 XR650L !!!!!

17 replies to this topic
  • 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 14, 2005 - 09:00 PM

Just bought a 1994 XR650L with 1,810 miles for $1900. It's in excellent condition, I'm soooo excited. This is my first bike! I need to get a helmet, insurance, a permit, and this thing registered! Any and all advice on where to start or anything is greatly appreciated!

I'm definitely looking forward to not only riding this beast but also getting my hands dirty and learning everything there is to know about it.

• pwrpapa

Posted September 14, 2005 - 09:06 PM

I'm new here too.
This is a great place to learn about your bike.
Congrats............

• sgifford

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:21 AM

If this is your first bike, and you plan on riding on the road much I would recommend taking a Motorcycle Safey Foundation course (http://www.msf-usa.org/).

Also, getting a bunch of seat time in the dirt before you venture on the road will help you avoid becoming a speed-bump for an SUV.

I have liability-only insurance on my 'L' with Progressive for only $60 a year.

Have fun.

• ghoti

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:29 AM

Just bought a 1994 XR650L with 1,810 miles for $1900. It's in excellent condition, I'm soooo excited. This is my first bike! I need to get a helmet, insurance, a permit, and this thing registered! Any and all advice on where to start or anything is greatly appreciated!

I'm definitely looking forward to not only riding this beast but also getting my hands dirty and learning everything there is to know about it.

Sounds like you got a good deal. The 2005 is still the same bike, just different colors. Has anything been done to it? Welcome and have fun.

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 15, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Motorcycle Safety Course sounds like a brilliant idea.

The bike is completely stock except for a different handle bar with an added brace and a new rear tire.

I'm thinking the first thing I should do is get a new air filter.

What do you guys think about me removing all the smog stuff and doing the home-brew carb jetting after it's inspected? I could replace the smog stuff when I go to sell it, right? Would having the carb modified in this fashion hurt the resale value? I'm all about maintaining a good resale value. I was originally going to dye all the white plastic plack and paint the tank black, but I figured this would hurt the value of the bike too much. So, I considered another set of plastic, but can't find anything of reasonable price...

What I really want to do is get a set of 17" wheels with some 100% street tires so I can go back and fourth between 90% dirt and 100% street. Does anybody know the most economical way to do this? I figured buy a used set of the stock wheels, reuse the break and hub, then buy some used 17"s with tires already mounted (and spokes of course). Does anybody know of the top of their head what other 17" wheels fit this bike with or without spacers?

Thanks guys :banghead:

• TahomaTom

Posted September 15, 2005 - 10:12 AM

If its an L it is already registered for the street. They don't inspect them here in cali.
If you have a plate your good to go. :banghead:

It shouldn't hurt re sale value. If someone has a problem go have them drive one with all the stuff on. They should pay you more for doing it.

• justicedone

Posted September 15, 2005 - 02:02 PM

Before you go street crazy join me and our group of San Diego dual sport'erz in the hills and you wont want to limit yourself to the pavement. Way to fun playing in the dirt dude !!!

We ride local each Sunday morning around San Diego and sometimes in the mountains of Corral Canyon. Once your legal pm me for a Sunday ride, we will show you around :banghead: :applause:

• 94XR650LaJolla

Posted September 15, 2005 - 06:56 PM

I got insurance through Progressive today, $290 for the year, this is after a discount because I also have car insurance through them. This was their most basic plan at $240 plus $50 for theft coverage. They said I can cancel at any time and receive $0.73 a day for the days I didn't use.

STILL DON"T HAVE A PERMIT!

I went to the DMV today, waited in lines for 1 1/2 hours. Turns out because I have a CT license I need to first get a CA license which requires a birth certificate. So, now I have to take the drivers exam and the permit exam before I can ride. What a PITA. Oh, well, it'll be worth the wait. I also bought a helmet. Apparently, the bike is registered 'till Novermber 17th. I plan on getting it registered ASAP anyways so that I can go ahead and do the smog removal and the carb mod and not run into any hurdles.

Still wishing I had some black plastics, updated lights, and a second set of wheels with slicks....

• justicedone

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:21 PM

You could get a black tanke from IMS and then use krylon fusion paint to do your panels. Then get a UFO or Acerbis etc front and back black fender..

Fuct uses a crf450F BLACK FRONT FENDER ON HIS aLL bLACK XR650L and his bike looks HELLA TIGHT...its HARD man you gotta see it !!!

:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted September 15, 2005 - 08:04 PM

la jolla eh?
I'm in PB and work in la jolla. you'll have to roll by one day for some bench racing.
Later on..
oh and definatly take Justicedone up on his offer for dual sport rides, he has a great group and does good rides.

• justicedone

Posted September 15, 2005 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Mikey...if you ever trade in for an L we will make you vise president of our gang and you get all the free Starbucks you can drink !!!

:applause:

:banghead:

• oats

Posted September 15, 2005 - 08:37 PM

I have been looking for a local dual sport ride group here in San Diego without any luck. I am interested in meeting up for a ride and sundays are usually my best day. Please contact me next time you are riding.

• Hondapimp

Posted November 01, 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hey I just bought a 2000 650r, and boy do I love it. Specially cuz it only cost me 7 hunge. You have a pic of yours? I want to see it.

• Onederer

Posted November 01, 2010 - 02:55 PM

Since you are new to this, just leave the modifications to bolt on parts and enjoy the bike. There is no need to start messing with the carb, more than likely it will cut into your quality ride time more than you think.

I think you can satisfy your tinkering need with some playing with the suspension clickers and fork air pressure, for a while anyways.

The biggest bang for your riding enjoyment buck is a larger fuel tank, but even then you will loose the locking fuel cap unless you get a brand that offers one.

Have fun

• brianhare

Posted November 01, 2010 - 03:27 PM

GOOD LORD,a 2005 thread reincarnated.........i bet he doesn`t reply with pics:moon:

B

• Onederer

Posted November 01, 2010 - 04:50 PM

:excuseme:

I didn't even look.

• pantaz

Posted November 04, 2010 - 10:12 PM

I also recommend the MSF class. Besides learning some very important stuff, you can get a discount on insurance.

My latest insurance renewal (Geico, 12 month policy) doesn't say precisely how much the discount is, but full coverage ($250 deductible) is $98 for my XR400 and $301 for my FJ1200.

• ThumpNRed

Posted November 05, 2010 - 05:29 AM

:smirk:

I didn't even look.

That's sum funny chit...
Good to see I am not the only one who is a bit "delayed" in replying to posts :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.