Do it yourself smog removal..is this right?

6 replies to this topic
  • rokklym

Posted September 14, 2005 - 06:54 PM

I did part of the do it yourself smog block from the 4 strokes website and was wondering if this sounds correct to those of you who know whats up.

This is on a 2002

OK, now I have the hose coming out of the crankcase into the T, and then the bottom part of the T goes into the bottom of the airbox and the right part of the T is going into the top of the airbox.

then the carb hoses. I took off all the hoses that were connected to the little T.
I took the longest part of hose and ran that from the nipple on the front carb around the back of the carb to the nipple on the brake side of the carb.

Does this sound right?
I'm having a machinist I work with make the actual plate tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

• ghoti

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:41 AM

Sounds like you got it.

• rokklym

Posted September 15, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Thanks dude.

The machinist did a great job and I bolted it on and it runs perfect.
I only rode it up the block and back but no popping!! gotta love that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted September 15, 2005 - 06:02 PM

no poping huh? did it do that b4 the mod? do the smog filters cause the poping.... i have a slight pop.....very quite almost unnoticable but the yoshimura brings it out.

• rokklym

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:08 PM

I'll have to give a full report tomorrow. I only rode it a few hundred feet tonight but it didn't pop at all. Yeah, the 650L's are pretty well known for popping under deceleration and the smog removal is suposed to help, we'll see.

It sure looks alot better, thats for sure.

• bsukalski

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:46 PM

no poping huh? did it do that b4 the mod? do the smog filters cause the poping.... i have a slight pop.....very quite almost unnoticable but the yoshimura brings it out.

What's a smog filter? :banghead:

Anyways, it's written all over this site that removal of the smog junk will reduce the popping.

• rokklym

Posted September 16, 2005 - 06:06 PM

Well, I did a 230 mile ride today and not a bit of popping! You just have to love that!

I got about a mile from home and smelled fuel, looked down and gas was pouring out the petcock and all over the motor. thank god it didn't start a fire or anything. Turns out the o ring in the petcock is shot. Luckily that didn't happen a hundred miles from home.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.