06 WR 450 tips?????????

18 replies to this topic
  • mattman

Posted September 14, 2005 - 04:44 AM

Hey folks,

Picking up a new 06 WR 450 this afternoon, what are the latest and greatest tuning tricks and tips for these beasts? Previously a 500cc two stroke owner, new to the thumper world, and looking for all the freebie tips to help this thing scoot. Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• gmoss357

Posted September 14, 2005 - 04:53 AM

thumperfaq.com. Most of the mods should apply to the 06. The mods are there for a 250 but they also apply to a 450. Free mods are a must! Beyond that, it your call.

• JTWR450

Posted September 14, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Have the dealer do the mods: throttle stop, fuel screw, grey wire, open the baffle on the exhast pipe. They should prep the bike for you as part of buying a rig from them. Remove snorkel from air box, get a Twinair or UNI air filter. Take off stock Dunlops as they suck.

• mattman

Posted September 14, 2005 - 06:17 PM

If I have the dealer do it, I'll be minus one arm and one leg...but I figured it would be better to let a shop do it rather than fubar my new bike. So, your not a Dunlop fan huh? I've never tried anything else honestly, except a Chen-shing paddle... Thanks for the advice.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 14, 2005 - 06:33 PM

1. ThumperTalk AIS Kit
http://shop.thumpert...talk_aissrk.htm

2. JD Jetting Kit
http://shop.thumpert...ting_jetkit.htm

3. Pro Moto Billet Silent Insert
http://promotobillet...m.asp?itemid=80 (TT's price is $56.95)

4. YZ Throttle Stop (use the search feature)

5. Grey Wire (use the search feature)

6. Remove airbox snorkle

This will make the bike run day and night better. The rest of the mods/parts are based upon your wallet and the type of riding you do.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 14, 2005 - 06:34 PM

Have the dealer do the mods: throttle stop, fuel screw, grey wire, open the baffle on the exhast pipe. They should prep the bike for you as part of buying a rig from them. Remove snorkel from air box, get a Twinair or UNI air filter. Take off stock Dunlops as they suck.

TT'ers are do it your selfers!
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=225930 :banghead:

• Kamik

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:19 PM

unless the dealer is willing to do the mods for free just do them yourself, they're very easy to do and make the bike MUCH, MUCH better than stock. i didn't spend a dime for the free mods, did them all myself, had to buy the jet kit and fuel screw though, but those are pretty much essential IMO.

• Matty05

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:33 PM

Forget the insert and get a decent pipe.
Inserts dont make a crap pipe good.

• sandman76513

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:58 AM

Do the free mods yourself, they shouldn't take you more than an hour. Then order the GYTR AIS removal kit from your dealer, it will come with the YZ throttle stop screw, new needle and pilot jets as well as all the plugs/caps required once you remove the AIS. Once completed your 06 will run like it should have. I wasn't ready for the way the bike was right out of the box, but once the mods were done...whole different bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:59 AM

Ditto on the DIY mods. When I bought my '05, I didn't have clue one about the mechanics of the thing. Now I have no problem getting into the the bike to do jetting, valves, forks, whatever. The bike is ultra reliable and the included manual is like nothing I've ever seen before with a vehicle. In other words, unless you morph into a baboon on crack when you put a wrench in your hand, you've really got nothing to worry about as far as taking care of the free mods yourself. Besides, TT is such a fantastic source of help and information, that we can guide you through any little hiccup you may experience. Of course, since you're a newbie, we may have to give you a little bit of :banghead: just to indoctrinate you, but rest assured we won't lead you astray because we all want to hear about the grin your WR permanently attaches to your face. Now grab that ratchet and get to wrenchin' you wussy! :lol: :applause: ...SC

• dman450f

Posted September 15, 2005 - 05:46 PM

Ditton on the DIY mods. When I bought my '05, I didn't have clue one about the mechanics of the thing. Now I have no problem getting into the the bike to do jetting, valves, forks, whatever. The bike is ultra reliable and the included manual is like nothing I've ever seen before with a vehicle. In other words, unless you morph into a baboon on crack when you put a wrench in your hand, you've really got nothing to worry about as far as taking care of the free mods yourself. Besides, TT is such a fantastic source of help and information, that we can guide you through any little hiccup you may experience. Of course, since you're a newbie, we may have to give you a little bit of :banghead: just to indoctrinate you, but rest assured we won't lead you astray because we all want to hear about the grin your WR permanently attaches to your face. Now grab that ratchet and get to wrenchin' you wussy! :busted: :lol: ...SC

:applause: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah ...do it...what clark said, you NEED to know your bike dude...and it will be fun... :lol: :lol:

• mattman

Posted September 16, 2005 - 04:36 AM

Hey, no wusses here...I'm a wrenchin fool, I just have little time to do it. I have an old truck project that has been put off for years and a 60 hour work week. I know boo hoo... Anyhow, the mods dont sound too terribly difficult and I must have that power.

Is anyone doing the mods prior to break in, or are they waiting till after?

Please forgive the dumb questions, I'm a former two stroker...is two stroke a bad word on this forum...

• clark4131

Posted September 16, 2005 - 05:53 AM

2-stroke? 2-stroke? Blasphemy!!!! Sinner!!! Crucify him!!! :banghead: :lol: :applause:

I broke mine in with all the mods done. I hadn't even ridden the bike yet before it was all done. The only problem is now I have no clue how much better the bike is over stock...SC

• mattman

Posted September 17, 2005 - 07:22 AM

Mods done...did them myself, I didn't want clark4131 busting my balls again!

Bike is already better, but what about this AIS removal stuff...Is it really necessary to purchase this "kit" or is it something a handy guy such as myself could fabricate? I haven't seen any photos of this "kit" or any descriptions of what it actually consists of...

Any ideas???

• xcracer123

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:36 AM

Buy the one from the TT store. You can't go wrong there.

• clark4131

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:39 AM

The kit consists of three plugs that close up the hose ports for the smog pump. One goes in the front of the engine by the header, one on the right side of the engine where the main portion of the AIS is and the last one goes in the airbox. The kit plugs provide for a nice and clean installation, but if you've got the tools and the talent, machine them up for yourself. Don't forget to use high-temp RTV when you install the plugs in the engine...SC

AIS Pics

• mattman

Posted September 17, 2005 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the pics. Those are nice plugs.

Like you said, the permanent smile has grafted itself to my mug... :applause: After the one hour of quick fixes on the airbox, throttle screw, gray wire and AIS, I went for a quick spin... :lol: My neighbors thought Evil Kenevil moved in. I dont think the front tire was on the ground too much. What a difference, I feel sorry for anyone that buys this bike and doesn't know about the mods.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. :banghead:

• Leeisfishing

Posted September 17, 2005 - 09:34 PM

I have had my 06 Wr450F for 2 weeks now. I had the dealer install the AIS kit. After reading about the Throttle Stop Mod and Grey Wire Mod I decided to check it out. Found both of them allready done by the dealer.
I ordered these parts from here.. WB_31948 "SKID PLT, WB_511450 "DISC GRD, PU_M60022 ALUM HANDGRDS, WB_511955 "FRAME GRD, PU_NU3251ST UNI FIL, WB_15818 ZIP T FUEL MIX SCRW and a new pipe insert http://promotobillet...m.asp?itemid=80

It looks like the dealer took the snorkel out too.....

I guess there is not much left to do but RIDE....

What an awesome bike.... I have a RM250 and this is my 1st 4 stroke..

• mattman

Posted September 21, 2005 - 04:40 AM

Yeah, I was riding a KX 500, built to the max...So I was a little nervous about a thumper satisfying my need for speed. I rode my bro's WR 426 for a couple of months and was pretty impressed, but my new 450 blows that thing out of the water.

Thank goodness I don't have to mix gas anymore! :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.