Harley -> XR650R advice please

9 replies to this topic
  • bcdirt

Posted September 13, 2005 - 10:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

I currently own an 04 HD sportster 1200 custom and I am thinking about selling it, paying off some credit cards and buying a 650R. I rode dirt bikes constantly while growing up and I really miss being able to go off road and rip it up. My last bike was a CR500 and I loved that crazy eye popping feeling of acceleration. The harley moves pretty good, but it's just not the same. I am also tired of having to dodge soccer moms and other drivers that just don't pay attention.

So, What should I expect to pay for a nice 650R? I'm not seeing many for sale around my area ( Northern CA). I'll probably be looking for something used (01-05). From what I've read, the 650 should satisfy my need for scary power and acceleration. I'll eventually put a dual sport kit on just so I have the option of riding it to the trails.

Any pointers for buying used? What should I check, look for etc..

Any advice apreciated.

-bcdirt

• roadcam

Posted September 14, 2005 - 04:13 AM

you need to research 'dual-sporting' it in California first .... since last October, CA has made it very difficult, almost impossible to make the 'R' street-legal ... it happens sometimes, but is getting harder and harder ...

• babbs

Posted September 14, 2005 - 04:34 AM

Buy one that someone has already Dual-sported. You can get a nice oone with low miles and a few aftermarket bling-bling items for less than 4k. You could get a stock one with low miles for 3k. But to dual sport costs at least $500, so it might be better to buy one that has been done.

• Roll_it_on

Posted September 14, 2005 - 05:55 AM

Go for the 650R and you will love it. You will need to get one that is already street legal in order to be able to dual sport it. Here are a couple of adds off of Craigslist for just what you are looking for. Where are you in NCal?

http://www.craigslis...y/96753963.html

http://www.craigslis...y/96160575.html

http://www.craigslis...y/97287169.html

• bcdirt

Posted September 14, 2005 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't know that it is a problem to get the R street legal in CA. That sucks.. Yeah, I'll probably look for one that is already done.

I wonder why CA has such a problem with it? By design the HD v-twin does not exactly run clean when it comes to emissions (well, maybe before the uncorking). The 650R has got to run cleaner for emissions, if that's what they are worried about. I can't go for a five minute ride on the HD without getting that characteristic exhaust smell all over me. I live around the Chico area.

Thanks

BCdirt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted September 14, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Smog checks for bikes are coming to CA in April of 2007. If CA is going to require older bikes to be smog checked, then things will really get ugly depending on how its implimented, but I know it will be tail pipe only and no dyno testing. I'm hoping CA will only impliment this for newer bikes going forward because there's too many issues and variables with older bikes unless the standards are going to be fairly lienent. ECM's and fuel injection for our bikes aren't too far off.

• bcdirt

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:02 AM

So it sounds like you would have to try pretty hard to trash one of these bikes. I should be able to find a used one in great mechanical condition.

As far as power is concerned, do most of you think the average rider would be more than happy after just uncorking? The reason I'm looking at the XR's is that I want gobs of power and unprecedented reliablity. I've owned lots of two strokes and I got tired of the constant engine work (not regular, but top end jobs, plugs, mixing gas, etc..). I think it's time for a big thumper.

thanks

Bcdirt

• irondude

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:05 AM

i have two of them for sale in southern California
both have license plates.
both maintained by guys who really care about their bikes.
neither has more than 100 total street miles...
some minor mods but nothing crazy.

2001 and a 2002
$3800 and $4000

both guys are getting smaller bikes with electric start....

• justicedone

Posted September 14, 2005 - 01:54 PM

I hear Honda of L.A. has a never sold, brand new 03 XR650R that has dual sport goods and plates for $5500...might check it out

• bcdirt

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Irondude. I may be interested. I've got to sell my street bike first, though. How quickly are they looking to sell those bikes? Where about are they located in Socal? That would be a pretty long drive from where I'm located (Chico, Ca north of Sacramento) but for the right machine I would probably be willing. Seems like there are not many 650's for sale around my area. People must be really happy with them. :banghead:

Bcdirt

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.