What is the best comunication

30 replies to this topic
  • Derik Tate

Posted September 13, 2005 - 05:10 PM

what is the best communication device when trail riding?

• simon@vic

Posted September 13, 2005 - 05:55 PM

a horn is the best. mainly just to get peoples attention that they went the wrong way. your mouth works well too. also knowing and trusting the people you ride with doesn't hurt.

on a rare occasion i carry an FRS radio when we are exploring in open terrain. keep it off and in my pack 99% of the time. when scouting, get up a ridge {2km line of sight thing} where you can see the group but cant yell.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted September 13, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Hand signals seem to work best when meeting oncoming riders and to communicate with my own party. I ride with the same guys mostly, so we kind of know what we are all up too.

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 13, 2005 - 07:50 PM

We run Motocomm headsets and 2 watt VHF radios. The audio is ok at low speeds but as things pickup the backround noise becomes somewhat of a problem. Still even at speed when the audio is not real clear you can still make out when someone is in need of help or the group needs to wait up - just not good for casual conversation. I also have VHF radios in the trailer and in my truck. I have used this setup to talk back to camp over 10 miles from the bike to get help when one in the group broke his wrist. Not ideal but it works.

www.motocomm.com

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted September 13, 2005 - 08:40 PM

I use a Chatterbox GMRS unit with VOX. Built into my helmet, ie mike and headphones.

• clark4131

Posted September 13, 2005 - 09:11 PM

How well do those things do with all the noise of a non-visored moto helmet? The only effective thing I've found thus far has been my middle finger and a Glock 27 in my Camelbak...SC

• Derik Tate

Posted September 14, 2005 - 07:53 PM

i dont need smart a$$ coments, just info on something that actually works so that i can talk to my son. :banghead:

• Just034

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:39 PM

That was a pretty funny smart A comment. It is all in fun here, you are among friends.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted September 14, 2005 - 09:38 PM

i dont need smart a$$ coments, just info on something that actually works so that i can talk to my son.

Classy. :banghead:

• clark4131

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:49 AM

i dont need smart a$$ coments...

Whoa! Slow down there Sparky, I didn't mean to offend. I too am curious about how well helmet mics work in the offroad environment. I was just trying to use a little humor to illustrate a point. My bad I guess :banghead: ...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRFThumper

Posted September 15, 2005 - 05:05 AM

We have the chatterbox stuff also,it does a good job for us.Yes there is some wind issues and sometimes it will activate when you hit high rpm but all in all it's a good thing!With a family of four riding it's easy to get separated
and with the radios we can stay in touch!!

• Slider67g

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:32 AM

CRFThumper--Weird name with a Yamaha avatar :banghead:

• 5valve

Posted September 15, 2005 - 08:06 AM

Could someone post a link to such product, just to imagine it?

• byggd

Posted September 15, 2005 - 08:30 AM

Could someone post a link to such product, just to imagine it?

Try this link
http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com/

• clark4131

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:02 AM

Motocomm

Chatterbox

Starcom

HelmetComm

• Canuck

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:06 AM

forget chatterbox, collete makes the best unit (platinum 900) hands down. voice activated, low to none wind noise interference, and able to use your celly and mp3 player while riding! check it out: http://www.collett.mb.ca/

cheers

• Slider67g

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:43 AM

forget chatterbox, collete makes the best unit (platinum 900) hands down. voice activated, low to none wind noise interference, and able to use your celly and mp3 player while riding! check it out: http://www.collett.mb.ca/

cheers

I don't know about anybody else but if I have to stick anything to the side of my helment, it won't last long on the big headers :banghead:

• SmallMonkey

Posted September 15, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I use a Chatterbox GMRS unit with VOX. Built into my helmet, ie mike and headphones.

Which Mic do you have?
Also - How do these work off road??

I have a GMRS-X1 on my street helmet, but curious if it's worth putting on the Dirt Helmet.

• Slider67g

Posted September 15, 2005 - 11:30 AM

Hey Derik I heard you were going to Chadwick MO. this weekend. YOU SUCK I CANT GO :banghead: :applause: :lol: Have fun :lol:

• CRFThumper

Posted September 15, 2005 - 02:11 PM

CRFThumper--Weird name with a Yamaha avatar :banghead:

I have always rode blue but in 02 had to try the new crf's kept it 8 months and the valves went south!Tried to change my name back to thumperyz but they would not let me sooo its crfthumper from now on. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.