I stripped one of the allen bolts!!

25 replies to this topic
  • cholwerk

Posted September 14, 2005 - 09:18 PM

Remember that when heating aluminum you need a lot of heat to increase the temp (high heat capacity). If you are using a propane torch I would think 5 minutes is the minimum time to get it good and warm. Also, you may need to drain the radiator to get it hot enough.

• bsukalski

Posted September 14, 2005 - 09:22 PM

5 minutes???!!!! I think I did it for....maybe 30 seconds? I noticed the aluminum fins where not all that hot after i did it!! But i didn't want to risk heating it up to much.
Well, something to try tomorrow!

• Mark_Bear

Posted September 14, 2005 - 09:39 PM

Just a caution on heating aluminum. Although it is unlikely that you would melt it, it is possible.

My concern is that, when it gets hot enough it sorta melts from behind and then just drips off, it can be difficult to tell when this about to happen. Depending on the torch you are using this could happen inside 5 minutes.

Like I said unlikely, if you are careful but I'd strongly suggest that if you have never done this before that you practice on some old alloy first so that you can observe it and learn.

My 2 cents..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crmc33

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:16 AM

Also, you may need to drain the radiator to get it hot enough.

what radiator? :banghead:

• Xr650LMartin

Posted September 15, 2005 - 06:06 AM

i dont know

That must be the most useful post I've seen in a while :applause: :lol:

Could you please keep your 2 words post for yourself WR, you're kinda getting annoying :banghead:
This is not MSN

• Naru

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Here's another suggestion I remember reading on some obscure web page a while back. Get yourself one of those "Dries like steel" putty compounds (don't remember what they recommended, but I'd guess JB Weld or similar would work). Smear some into the stripped hole, then insert the hex key. After it dries, the key should be in tight. The only downside to this is that you loose the hex key (though you could cut it at the top of the bolt and just loose a bit of length). Good luck.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.