Newbie alert!

9 replies to this topic
  • klmmicro

Posted September 13, 2005 - 12:43 PM

Just bought a 2006 XR650L to replace my old Nighthawk. This is not the first dual-sport I have owned, but it is the biggest. I have only 300 miles on it and it has great so far.

I have been reading a lot of this board and trying to figure out what I want to do to it. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi/thanks!

Matt

• miguelitro

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:06 PM

If you're near San Diego you should hook up with Justice Done and his DS crew. they do llots of really nice riding at slow speeds, cough, ehehhh, excusem me cough.
No really i mean that and am joking about the slow part kinda...
Welcome to TT.

• justicedone

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:24 PM

Were not slow....just ask the Slog we blew by.....

• xr500_89

Posted September 13, 2005 - 06:29 PM

i think the first thing you should do is get a supertrapp exhaust system, yank the smog crap and rejet the carb.

• klmmicro

Posted September 13, 2005 - 06:56 PM

i think the first thing you should do is get a supertrapp exhaust system, yank the smog crap and rejet the carb.

I am thinking that direction, but I am in no big hurry yet. I just want to ride it for a while and get it broke in. I will get around to building it soon enough, for now I want to get the plan lined out. First thing I will do will be dump the small tank for a 4.7 Clarke. 100 miles just does not do anything for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted September 13, 2005 - 07:04 PM

First thing I will do will be dump the small tank for a 4.7 Clarke. 100 miles just does not do anything for me.[/QUOTE]

that s the spirit :lol: :banghead: :applause:

• klmmicro

Posted September 21, 2005 - 01:51 PM

Spirit excercised! I have a 4.7 gallon on its way. Should be here Friday or Monday.

• crfdude86

Posted September 21, 2005 - 04:04 PM

you will love your 650 great bike

• klmmicro

Posted September 21, 2005 - 06:20 PM

Thanks crfdude! I have my first 600 miles on it and I am loving it. Checked all the bolts, nuts and fasteners. Tensioned the chain and changed the oil. Everything looks good to go.

I do have one question regarding the 600 mile scheduled maintainence. Is it required to mantain the warantee? The shop wants almost $200 for what sounds like a light inspection and oil change. Seems a little steep seeing that I already did just that.

• ghoti

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Thanks crfdude! I have my first 600 miles on it and I am loving it. Checked all the bolts, nuts and fasteners. Tensioned the chain and changed the oil. Everything looks good to go.

I do have one question regarding the 600 mile scheduled maintainence. Is it required to mantain the warantee? The shop wants almost $200 for what sounds like a light inspection and oil change. Seems a little steep seeing that I already did just that.

I don't think it will void the warranty. Make sure you check the valves and change the oil. If you haven't got a manual yet, do so. It's the first thing you should purchase. I would never let the shop work on my bike, but that's just me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.