Valves and timing chain?

6 replies to this topic
  • JCORMI

Posted September 13, 2005 - 11:58 AM

Hey guys, a buddy of mine has a 2005 650l with 5k miles on it. He has been noticing some ticking sounds from the motor. Can someone tell me what kind of cam chain tensioner these bikes have, and also how are the valves adjusted? Is it a shim under bucket design like on my drz or something else? Any and all advice would be appreciated. He is a cheap bastard and won't buy a manual.

• Red4x4neck

Posted September 13, 2005 - 12:24 PM

not trying to be condescending, but has he checked the oil level?
Mine makes noise like that if it is low.

Rob

• babbs

Posted September 13, 2005 - 12:32 PM

If he has 5k miles and doesn't know how to adjust his valves.........harbinger of doom.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JCORMI

Posted September 13, 2005 - 12:45 PM

If he has 5k miles and doesn't know how to adjust his valves.........harbinger of doom.

&%$#@! are you talking about? The first recommended valve check is at what 15000k miles? So when should he learn how to check the valves? :banghead:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:59 PM

Cam chain tensioner is automatic, valves are screw-adjust.
Procedure is a little tricky, the manual is a must-have.

There is also an automatic decompressor on the cam that can cause a clicking.

Valves tap, decompressor clicks, chain makes a shike-shika-shika noise.

D

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 13, 2005 - 05:32 PM

yeah.....i think its about time i checked my valves......hell, i think i may tear the whole thing down.

• JCORMI

Posted September 14, 2005 - 03:19 AM

Cam chain tensioner is automatic, valves are screw-adjust.
Procedure is a little tricky, the manual is a must-have.

There is also an automatic decompressor on the cam that can cause a clicking.

Valves tap, decompressor clicks, chain makes a shike-shika-shika noise.

D

Thanks for the help,I'll tell him to break down and buy the manual. I think they pay for themselves pretty quickly. Thanks again.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.