2005 fork compression valve change?

4 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:24 PM

I Just finished four XR650R suspensions and one of the bikes (Dana the Wildkat Fire Guy) has a new 2005 bike. The valves on his new bike are different from 2000~2004 bikes! Has there been a change on something on the BRP???!!!!! On all bikes that I have done 2004 and older have had compression port holes of 2.64 +/- .01mm but his had holes much smaller at 1.96mm +/- .02mm. That is a big difference. I did not check the rebound ports on the rebound valve because I don't port those to be bigger. (I drill the Compression valves out on most XR650R's to 3.64mm) The shim stacks where the same as other years but, the valve holes were smaller to slow the forks down. The fluid was different also. Nore green. His forks are new so there wasn't any whale snot and no rust. The other forks I have done were just like most XR650R forks, full of whale and rusted rebound rods.
Well anyways the smaller holes in the valve would make the forks hydrolic sooner on a big sharp hit and wouldn't be much fun for someone who realy pushes the bike. Sure wouldn't be nice to hit something sharp. I don't know if this was a fluke but, both compression valves had the small holes.

• Supplicate

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:29 PM

do most people that do suspension drill those holes out to larger size?

I'm just wondering because I'm trying to figure out the best route to go with the suspension revalve that needs to occur sometime in the next three months.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:45 PM

No, I am sure not all shops do this but, a lot do. It's a lot cheaper then Gold Valve that RaceTech sells. Lindemann Engineering drill there valves out and so do I. The larger port holes allow the fluid to bend the shims better. You have to run a stiffer shim stack to make up for it. Gives a much plusher ride. Softer small fast hit that stops bottoming on the big hits. I run a lighter fluid also.

• Mark_Bear

Posted September 13, 2005 - 02:23 AM

It's funny that you should say that because I have a new 2005 bike. Now I'm no expert, in fact, I only ever put auto trans fluid in my forks years ago and it seemed to work. I don't think forks really worked then anyway other than they went up and down.

I have recently got back into to dirt bikes and I have found my forks to be very harsh over small sharp stuff. Not having ridden dirt for years, and now quite a bit older I just accepted it, especially since you guys all seem to think the forks are quite good.

I have changed the fluid like you said, but found nothing like whale snot in mine. The oil stunk like whale snot, but seemed rather fluid?? I also backed off the compression clickers to max soft and still find it jars my wrists, after reading your post however I think I'm not on a level playing field with you guys if Mr Honda has been messing with my valves and not telling.

I might add that it goes through smooth whoops and over jumps rather better than I remember, but my last serious dirt bike was a CR480R.

• BWB63

Posted September 13, 2005 - 04:08 PM

For what the bike is pushed as by Honda (Baja winning bike) they (Honda) sure do a cheap job on the suspension. The springs are for a 160~170 pound trail rider. I think that putting smaller holes in the compression valve is for the bigger riders outside of Japan and is a cheap way to fix the soft forks for the big bellied, over forty, American riders. It's not even a good band-aid. Maybe this is a fluke? Next 2005 I get I'll check it close. Anyway you dice it, the suspension needs to be done for any serious riding.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.