hey

13 replies to this topic
  • shotgundan450

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Just got a left-over 2003 WR450f a few days ago and I am new to the dirtbike thing. Started my "custom body work" already: bent handlebars, brake and clutch levers, bent plastic, bent and leaking radiator. Hit a tree and wiped out numerous times. I decided it was time to get into offroad riding since all my friends have quads but I feel alot more comfortable on 2 wheels than 4 so I started looking around and I found the bike I have now.

• banffboy

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:28 PM

Excellent! I have "customized" a few bikes........over and over and over :applause: If the bike is new, you might want to have the woodruf key checked. The 03's were notorious for having the key shear off. Do search on this forum, you'll find lots of info on the issue. Welcome to the "blue" side, try and keep the rubber side down :banghead:

• shotgundan450

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:35 PM

They fixed the woodruff key before I picked it up. It also has the throttle stop removed, air box snorkel taken out and I took the spark arrestor out as well. By the way, I live in NEPA, Benton to be precise.

• Yamaha WR400F

Posted September 13, 2005 - 09:17 AM

Wheres Benton?
Anywhere close to Wilkes-Barre, Scranton area?
Let me know we get out every Sunday. :banghead:
I have a 2000 WR400.

• RichBaker

Posted September 13, 2005 - 09:43 AM

They fixed the woodruff key before I picked it up. It also has the throttle stop removed, air box snorkel taken out and I took the spark arrestor out as well. By the way, I live in NEPA, Benton to be precise.

If they didn't put a YZ throttle stop in, get one and install it before you break the slide....could cause stuck throttle or worse.
Why'd you pull the SA screen? Put it back in before you start a fire...and get a Quiet Products insert, it flows great and sounds good.

• shotgundan450

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:53 AM

Well Benton is about 45 minutes south-west of the Wilkes-Barre Scranton area. As for the YZ throttle stop it has one, and I took the SA out for the hell of it, I will put in something when I have the $$$. Right now I am needing handlebars and quite possibly a radiator so they are higher priority than the SA replacement.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted September 16, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Handlebars and radiator are higher priority than potentially starting a fire and closing down your riding area :banghead:

I think your priorities need to be re-evaluated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaha WR400F

Posted September 16, 2005 - 11:45 AM

Why would you want to put a throttle stop in :banghead:
Thats one of the things I had the shop remove when I bought the bike, why would you only want to be able to use half throttle. :applause:
Don't put it in, unless it's to fast for you. :lol:

• byggd

Posted September 16, 2005 - 12:51 PM

Why would you want to put a throttle stop in :applause:
Thats one of the things I had the shop remove when I bought the bike, why would you only want to be able to use half throttle. :lol:
Don't put it in, unless it's to fast for you. :lol:

I think he meant to put a YZ throttle stop in or a shortened WR. If it has no throttle stop the throttle can hang at WOT (or so I've read) :banghead:

• Jim_bo

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:10 PM

Also, I think he means he took out the baffles, not the spark arrestor...

Jimbo

• shotgundan450

Posted September 16, 2005 - 06:33 PM

I guess if you want to be technical is has a throttle stop, just not one that limits it to 1/2 throttle. And I took out the black insert from the exhaust whatever that is, there is still the screen inside, just no black insert. I guess catching the place on fire would be somewhat of a concern at this time of the year. Another question since I have heard several thoughts on the matter; How soon should I change the oil and/or filters on the new bike? Right now I am at 65 miles and not more than 6 hours and since I am fixing the radiator should I change the other fluids now or wait a while longer?

• RichBaker

Posted September 21, 2005 - 12:43 PM

The black insert is the noise reducing baffle, the screen is the spark arrestor...and there are 2 different throttle stops, the YZstop which allows full throttle and the WR stop which limits it to 1/2 throttle. You need to know the difference in these things so we don't beat you up..... ;8^P

• dman450f

Posted September 21, 2005 - 05:29 PM

I guess if you want to be technical is has a throttle stop, just not one that limits it to 1/2 throttle. And I took out the black insert from the exhaust whatever that is, there is still the screen inside, just no black insert. I guess catching the place on fire would be somewhat of a concern at this time of the year. Another question since I have heard several thoughts on the matter; How soon should I change the oil and/or filters on the new bike? Right now I am at 65 miles and not more than 6 hours and since I am fixing the radiator should I change the other fluids now or wait a while longer?

change your oil a bunch if its new , if not do it every 3 or 4 rides...it will live lots longer... :banghead:

• dman450f

Posted September 21, 2005 - 05:30 PM

PS. the first couple of oil changes are CRUCIAL!!!.... :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.