tire questions

42 replies to this topic
  • DMMEYER

Posted September 13, 2005 - 11:31 PM

cool i will have to check in to that i am, in mission viejo but temecula is only 1-1.5 hours away depending oon traffic on the ortega

I ride from lake elsinore to camp pendleton 1-2 times a week and the Maxxis IT is good on the Ortega, JUST BECAREFULL OF OTHER RIDERS/DRIVES I'm sure you've heard of the crash ration per week. :banghead:

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 14, 2005 - 04:27 AM

I recommend the Pirelli MT16. It hooks up as well as the Michelin S12, but wears almost as well as the Maxxis IT. I will never buy the Michelin or Maxxis again. :banghead:

• xc2

Posted September 14, 2005 - 07:59 AM

Has anyone run a 50/50 tire? Like the Kenda K270..

I've got one on the KLR 650. It's the best dual sport tire that I've found so far, at least on the dirt. It's holding up well too. I've got about 1500 miles on it still have 1/2 the tread left. The guys on the KLR list swear by them.

Just ordered one for the WR, mostly because I just moved to another state and will need to have it inspected by the cops to get the registration transfered. Not sure if they will look for DOT tires or not, so since I need a new tire anyway..... That and I'm broke after moving. I got a K270 for under 50.00 bucks with shipping.

• so_cal_sean

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:45 PM

for a dot tire the dunlop 606 is pretty great that is what i run on my xr650

• Matty05

Posted September 14, 2005 - 08:53 PM

for a dot tire the dunlop 606 is pretty great that is what i run on my xr650

They last for ages! Im at 1600kms on my 606 and it is still going strong.
I recommend 606 if you ride on the road a fair bit and still blast the trails.

Going to 952's front and back in about 2 weeks. Stock front is crap.

• fman

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:48 AM

Tyre preferences are lke bottom holes... most people have one. Mine is from Mr binbendium??? (the Michelin doughnut man). The only ones I bother to mount are an ms3 front and an s12 rear.. I might check out that new Bridgestone S12 mentioned earlier if the patent lawyers dont beat me to it.

• no names left

Posted September 17, 2005 - 09:24 AM

I have gone through 3 tires since March I am on my 4th now. Each was a different brand. I am have 60 miles on my new Pereli mt 18. (I think thats it) it has already worn but maybe less than others. Dunlap, Cheng Shin and a Metzler.
The thing is on big bores, especially in the Rockies, nothing will last long. I am hoping to average 600 Miles per tire which is not so good @ $80.00 or so per tire.
If any one finds the goods post big and loud!!! till then, twist the throttle and save for new rubber.
Gods of Moto help us as all!!!!

• wr429j

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:27 PM

I have 700 miles and have used 3 tires up. I dump them after they are well rounded.
I am on #4 (pirelli m16) and it is wearing better thatn the others (dunlops).

Should I expect one tire to go 600 mi. and not have the inner tube hanging out??

• SPDFRK450

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:01 AM

The Dunlop 739 has an even harder tread compound than the 756, and the 952. Using the advice from the goodfellas here on TT, I am currently running the Maxxis IT, and it is working out well. The 756 is a great tread pattern. I have never heard anybody say that it didnt work for them, but the compound is to soft for anything other than moto. If you will look at exibit A http://www.dunlopmot..._tirecharts.asp you will see the 756, and 952 tread pattern are the same, but the compound on the 952 is harder which means more ridin.

• scottyp

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:33 AM

I still have the stock 739's on my 03 with ~2000 miles on them. I ride about 80% of the time on very rocky, hard Utah desert. The rear only has about 30% of its center tread left, so I'll be replacing it soon, but the front is still in excellent shape. Neither one has chunked or cracked tread, but the rear tread is a bit rounded. If it didn't handle so poorly I would leave it on, but I'll probably replace it when I do the rear in the next week or two. I'm going with a Maxxis desert IT on the rear and a Pirelli M12 on the front. Hopefully they last as long as the stockers everyone says are such poor tires.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • so_cal_sean

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:28 PM

thanks everybody for all the help from your advice and some of the guys I know who ride i am giving the irc m5b a chance 130/80.18 it fits great and allthough it is a soft compound i here it lasts a while gets a little rounded but still hooks up well
thanks again for all the help

• jyz426f

Posted October 09, 2005 - 04:27 PM

I run a 110 90 19 Kenda Carlsbad on my 426 and it outlasts my buddys Pirelli Mt 21 His 2 to 1 of mine. I do 70% rocky trails 10% blacktop 10% Track / hard terrain and another 10% Colum dump hill climes The things wear like Iron for cheap and hook up like a mothafka Im not even lookin for another tire .for $40 cant beat it.

• minion

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:31 PM

I recommend the Pirelli MT16. It hooks up as well as the Michelin S12, but wears almost as well as the Maxxis IT. I will never buy the Michelin or Maxxis again. :banghead:

I've heard a lot of good things about Maxxis. What problems did you have with it?

• rescue23

Posted October 11, 2005 - 11:55 AM

Buddy of mine just bought the new dunlop 952 front. Wore exceptionally well after 500 miles of colorado single track. and he said the front end stayed planted well.

• ARin

Posted October 11, 2005 - 03:53 PM

I run a 110 90 19 Kenda Carlsbad on my 426 and it outlasts my buddys Pirelli Mt 21 His 2 to 1 of mine. I do 70% rocky trails 10% blacktop 10% Track / hard terrain and another 10% Colum dump hill climes The things wear like Iron for cheap and hook up like a mothafka Im not even lookin for another tire .for $40 cant beat it.

A friend and I run 110 100 18 Kenda carlsbad's on my 250 and 450 and on his 400. They outlast other friend's tires by a BIG margin. very stiff carcass (MUCH more stiff than the IRC Vulcanduro), almost run flat. Inexpensive. Hook up decent on hard terrain. win-win

• OldManInTheDesert

Posted October 11, 2005 - 04:10 PM

Does Bridgestone make an s12? I have the Michelin S-12 and it works better than I do in the desert, it does chunk in the rocks abit but heck they all do don't they?

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 14, 2005 - 02:19 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about Maxxis. What problems did you have with it?

No problems with rear except weight and hard to mount due to 6 ply. It was a 120 size so it gripped well. Front was another story. Poor traction, in all conditions (track, trail, dry, mud, loam, whatever). Very disappointed in front. I think that is why Cycle Gear sells the front + rear set for $90, to get rid of the fronts.

Michelins were better but S12 rear chunked. Pirellis beat out the Maxxis and Michelins on both traction and wear in all conditions. :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted October 16, 2005 - 03:18 AM

I can recommend the dunlop 952's.

Exellent hook up in all terrain! They are holding up good too.

• minion

Posted October 16, 2005 - 09:37 AM

I can recommend the dunlop 952's.

Exellent hook up in all terrain! They are holding up good too.

I don't know if I can buy another Dunlop tire. The stock tires were so poor (especially the front) on my wr450 that the experience kinda left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sure, I'd be willing to try those tires on someone else's bike, but there's no way I'd be willing to spend the money on them without having tested them first. That front tire can go :banghead: kill it's :banghead: self.

• GCannon

Posted October 17, 2005 - 01:34 PM

:banghead: Maxis tires rule! and they are cheap the IT intermediate terrain lasts twice as long as a 739 and it is also a good tire they also have a new desert tire for the rear desert IT it comes in120/100 the regular IT comes in 110/100 worth a try since they are $20 less than a Dunlop :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.