tire questions

42 replies to this topic
  • so_cal_sean

Posted September 12, 2005 - 03:51 PM

I have a 02 wr 426 and was wondering what is the best tire to run. I ride mostly at gorman and similar places i now have a dunlop739 but it only lasted two rides and is gone, what tire lasts longer and also what is the widest tire i can run on this bike? any help would be appreciated.
thanks

• sandman76513

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Mine came with a D756, but it is going quickly as well. What tire will handle the punishment of the 450 on an intermediate to hard (rocky) terrain?

• dman450f

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:19 PM

Mine came with a D756, but it is going quickly as well. What tire will handle the punishment of the 450 on an intermediate to hard (rocky) terrain?

I might get 500 or 600 miles on my dunlop...I am the roost king though... :banghead:

• sandman76513

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:30 PM

I might get 500 or 600 miles on my dunlop...I am the roost king though... :applause:

I think I will try the D952 next, in a 120/90x18. We'll see how well that one holds up. :banghead:

• dman450f

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:54 PM

I think I will try the D952 next, in a 120/90x18. We'll see how well that one holds up. :applause:

a little heavier tire, but it will look cool . let me know if it eats horse power.. :banghead:

• 99wr400

Posted September 12, 2005 - 07:43 PM

TeraFlex 150/80. I currently run a 140/80, and have heard that they changed when they became the 150/80, but any type of TeraFlex is better than any other tire.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted September 12, 2005 - 07:44 PM

Dunlops suck IMHO :applause: They just dont wear, especially for the price. IRC is making some great tires right now. I have had the M5B and now have the VE series front and rear, love em. :banghead: A 120 wont eat up power on a mod'ed 450. I ran a 140 that wieghed 19.5lbs, it ate some, but not tons. I ran a 130/80 M5B and it ate no noticeable power.

• Matty05

Posted September 12, 2005 - 07:55 PM

That's funny, I swear by Dunlop.

Kenda on the other hand make really crappy tyres.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:09 PM

TeraFlex 150/80. I currently run a 140/80, and have heard that they changed when they became the 150/80, but any type of TeraFlex is better than any other tire.

I would have to respectfully and fully disagree. I ran the US made 140/80, and while it was decent for hillclimbing and good on big flat rock, its strengths ended there. It was the single worst trail tire I have tried. Way to big for tight single track and it didnt wear very well either. My buddy has the newer made in China one, what a piece of shizit. One good ride, and he doesnt ride very hard, and it was thrashed. I mean thrashed, chunked out beyond belief. Just my experiences riding here in Montana. No disrespect intended, just thought I would share my thoughts. :banghead:

• wr429j

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:42 PM

So far I like the Pirelli M16, it is wearing good on rock, hardpack with no chunking. It hooks up well in loose stuff too. I like it better than the Dunlops.

I think I'll try a Bridgestone S12 next.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DMMEYER

Posted September 12, 2005 - 09:57 PM

The Gritty-ED 120/90/18 660a by bridgestone (rear) ran good for me at El mirage and at Stoddard Wells at 8 psi. and still have half the tread left, very little chunking off. It is a little bumpy on the road do to the tread spacing, I'd buy it again for $65.00. I also like the Maxxis IT 110/100/18 (rear) It handles real good on the road, little smoother than the bridgestone, but lacks the hook up I like when going up the challenging hills.

If your near Temecula the guy at Temecula cycles has used tire for $5.00 that have been only ridden by racers once or twice, still 50%-75% tread left.
Pretty good deal if your just what to test out some tires

Just my 2Cents

• WGP

Posted September 13, 2005 - 08:45 AM

It all depends what your conditions are??

I'm running Maxxis IT Desert front and rear, they last longer than the dunlops and usually you can get them cheap, 100$ for both. They are as hard as a rock and hold up well in sandy to sharp rock territory.

• so_cal_sean

Posted September 13, 2005 - 09:25 AM

cool i will have to check in to that i am, in mission viejo but temecula is only 1-1.5 hours away depending oon traffic on the ortega

• 99wr400

Posted September 13, 2005 - 04:34 PM

I would have to respectfully and fully disagree. I ran the US made 140/80, and while it was decent for hillclimbing and good on big flat rock, its strengths ended there. It was the single worst trail tire I have tried. Way to big for tight single track and it didnt wear very well either. My buddy has the newer made in China one, what a piece of shizit. One good ride, and he doesnt ride very hard, and it was thrashed. I mean thrashed, chunked out beyond belief. Just my experiences riding here in Montana. No disrespect intended, just thought I would share my thoughts. :banghead:

I can't get any other tire to hook up on my WR besides the TeraFlex. I tried an M5B 140/80, and it was garbage, I wore that out (front of knobs rounded to tire carcass) in 2 rides. How is the tire too big for single track? I rode some of the nastiest single track I have ever seen (magazines included) with my Teraflex, and it performed wonderfully, any other tire would not have had the traction to pull me out of those ditches and over the hills. It has lasted about 6 rides so far, and still works better than a brand new M5B. To each his own. If you don't like the TeraFlex, you should try a trials tire, they are supposed to hook up almost as good, and weight about 15 pounds less.

• tp3dxf

Posted September 13, 2005 - 04:43 PM

For the money it's hard to beat a Maxxis IT rear tire. They really last even in very rocky stuff and hook up good. I've tried all kinds of tires. The Dunlop 739 desert A/T is a good tire as well. Much better lasting then a regular D739. But they aren't cheap. I am sold on the Maxxis IT rear tire.

Up front I run a Dunlop 756. Great tire. It will wear quicker then other tires I have tried but even when worn it still works better then most.

Go with a Maxxis IT on the back and Dunlop 756 up front and you won't be sorry. Don't get caught up in getting a super wide tire. Just get a good tire.

I ride mostly in the forest above Gorman and race dez with this set up.

• pkcof

Posted September 13, 2005 - 06:10 PM

I put the 952 on my 05 WR450F and i'm pretty sure it'll take a lot of convincing for me to try anything else. It has good grip, good strenght and predictable slides when pushed ..... my favourite tyre (until something even better comes along)

• sandman76513

Posted September 13, 2005 - 06:23 PM

Called one of my distributors today and the D952 is on back order, ETA is end of Sep. Gives me more time to thrash this D756, it should hold up til the replacement arrives.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted September 13, 2005 - 07:25 PM

I can't get any other tire to hook up on my WR besides the TeraFlex. I tried an M5B 140/80, and it was garbage, I wore that out (front of knobs rounded to tire carcass) in 2 rides. How is the tire too big for single track? I rode some of the nastiest single track I have ever seen (magazines included) with my Teraflex, and it performed wonderfully, any other tire would not have had the traction to pull me out of those ditches and over the hills. It has lasted about 6 rides so far, and still works better than a brand new M5B. To each his own. If you don't like the TeraFlex, you should try a trials tire, they are supposed to hook up almost as good, and weight about 15 pounds less.

For me(not the best rider) and some of the guys I have riden with(very very good riders), the TerraFlex is just too wide for tight tight switchbacks. I nice thin tire cuts its own rut and gives the right amount of 'slip' to make it around the switch. Not to mention how much lower the bike sits and how much lower the center of gravity is with the small tires. I too cannot get any tire, Terra Flex included, to hook up all the time. I also realized that I dont wont constant traction in the mountains. Plus on some terrain I noticed that the wide tire 'floated' instead of 'digging in'. I have ridden with guys who have used a trials tire in the mountains, most say it is pretty good, but they miss the nobbies at times. I really like these IRC's I have now, but thanks so much for the suggestion. You said it best, "To each his own". There are many guys who swear by the Terra Flex, that is why I tried one, so I know they work great for some/most, just not me. Anyways, thanks for the info, its fun to see what works for different guys. Take it easy, BnB. :banghead:

• skidxr

Posted September 13, 2005 - 09:52 PM

I used to like the trackmaster II but I think the 450 just has to much power for it... I'm wearing it out fast... However,, I am riding a lot of street as well. I have considered going to a straight up dual sport but I really like the knobies for hook up.. And after my $130.00 ticket I am only going to run DOT tires now.. Still don't know what I will try next. :banghead:

• skidxr

Posted September 13, 2005 - 10:09 PM

Has anyone run a 50/50 tire? Like the Kenda K270..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.