New WR450 owner has questions

10 replies to this topic
  • hankdog

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Just secured a new '05 WR450...been dual sporting a KLR for a couple of years, and wanted a real dirtbike! I know there are some simple mods that are typically made to the WR450...my dealer tells me he removed the throttle stop already - how would I know?

Also, I've heard something about a grey wire? What's with that?

I've put about 100 easy miles on it...the engine seems to be breaking in and revving more freely and has plenty of power for my limited dirt riding skills! I've installed the ProBend hand guards, Flatland skid guard, and TrailTech computer, and plan to install the Flatland radiator guards (yes, I expect to fall down occasionally). What's next guys? Offer your wisdom to a newbie WR450 owner!

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:38 PM

I am also new to the dirt biking scene and am loving my WR.

If your throttle only rotates about and 1/8th of a turn then the throttle stop is still there if it is more like 1/2 a twist then it is removed.

The grey wire changes the timing from WR to YZ timing which allows it to rev more freely by not retarding the timing as much (correct me if im wrong here people)

What I did in order was, Throttle stop, grey wire, remove AIS, and jetting these mods made a huge difference in the bike, next step will be a slip on muffler and then the guards and stuff for me.

Hope that helps.

• dman450f

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:39 PM

Just secured a new '05 WR450...been dual sporting a KLR for a couple of years, and wanted a real dirtbike! I know there are some simple mods that are typically made to the WR450...my dealer tells me he removed the throttle stop already - how would I know?

Also, I've heard something about a grey wire? What's with that?

I've put about 100 easy miles on it...the engine seems to be breaking in and revving more freely and has plenty of power for my limited dirt riding skills! I've installed the ProBend hand guards, Flatland skid guard, and TrailTech computer, and plan to install the Flatland radiator guards (yes, I expect to fall down occasionally). What's next guys? Offer your wisdom to a newbie WR450 owner!

well now , you are going to uleash the beast...first get thre smog removal kit here at the tt store " removes the smog pump and plugs all the holes, the grey wire is running your bike on wr timing,cut it and it runs on yz timing.remove the snorkle on the top of your air box ,also install after market filter , remove the whole baffle on the end of your pipe. reinstall the spark arrestor.rejet with the jd kit here on the tt store...
that will do for starters... :applause: hang on though... :banghead:

[

• dman450f

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:43 PM

oh yeah , the zip ty fuel screw is a must have , also here on the tt store , dude , the list goes on from there but your bike will freak you out when you are done . :banghead: welcome and congrats on the bike, you will love it !! :applause:

• hotthrottle613

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:49 PM

Mousemeat did a thread on this topic that is quite good. Do a search under 2005 Wr450 Mods List.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hankdog

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the recommendations! If cutting the grey wire advances ignition, any problems with detonation? It seems to run OK on 91 octane now...will I need to find higher octane fuel?

• hotthrottle613

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:56 PM

No, it just maps the ignition as though it were a YZ450.

• hotthrottle613

Posted September 12, 2005 - 02:00 PM

well now , you are going to uleash the beast...first get thre smog removal kit here at the tt store " removes the smog pump and plugs all the holes, the grey wire is running your bike on wr timing,cut it and it runs on yz timing.remove the snorkle on the top of your air box ,also install after market filter , remove the whole baffle on the end of your pipe. reinstall the spark arrestor.rejet with the jd kit here on the tt store...
that will do for starters... :lol: hang on though... :banghead:

[

dman isn't kidding about holdin' on!! :lol: Your bike will really be fun! :applause:

• CheYuen

Posted September 12, 2005 - 03:39 PM

I also own a 2005 450 and liked the bike. After the grey wire and throttle stop swap, I love it! Went from a dust bunny to a devil in blue dress :banghead:

• sandman76513

Posted September 12, 2005 - 03:57 PM

hankdog,

The bike is like night and day once you have made those mods. I was disappointed after my first ride on my 06, especially after seeing what my riding partner's 04 could do. I thought I had a lemon...but alas. I did the free mods, then bought and installed Yamaha's AIS removal kit (which includes a new needle and pilot jet in addition to the plugs/caps/YZ throttle screw). The bike screams now, it is like I was riding a TTR250 before. :banghead:

• dman450f

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:05 PM

hankdog,

The bike is like night and day once you have made those mods. I was disappointed after my first ride on my 06, especially after seeing what my riding partner's 04 could do. I thought I had a lemon...but alas. I did the free mods, then bought and installed Yamaha's AIS removal kit (which includes a new needle and pilot jet in addition to the plugs/caps/YZ throttle screw). The bike screams now, it is like I was riding a TTR250 before. :banghead:

before I bought my bike I researched the heck out of it right here on tt , so I knew what to expect and you know what I did when I took my first ride ?? :applause: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :busted: :busted: :busted: belive me , they are lame out of the crate man... :lol: ..see ya ...DC...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.