xr600r DS questions

5 replies to this topic
  • the_tree

Posted September 12, 2005 - 10:39 AM

I had a bad leg injury in Jan. '04 and ended up selling my 520 then. Since then I've had a couple of more surgeries on the leg, but think it's behind me now and I'm getting the itch to be on 2 wheels with a motor again, but am going to limit it to dual sport. Plus think it will be cheaper than a psychiatrist, which I close to needing if I don't ride again soon.

I don't know much about the XRs, but have a found a couple of used 600s that I am thinking about and would like some input from xr riders as to maintanence, when and what to rebuild at what intervals and how they work onroad. What is parts availability like since Honda doesn't make it anymore - does it share anything with the 650 R or 650L?

Thanks, Ron

• roadcam

Posted September 12, 2005 - 11:32 AM

quite a few of the XR650L parts interchange with the 600, although not all ... I doubt if much of anything on the 650R would swap, its WAY different ...

• roadcam

Posted September 12, 2005 - 11:35 AM

I forgot to mention ... aftermarket parts, as well as factory parts, can be found behind every tree ... one of the most dependable engines ever made, too ... start it, run the hell out of it, and give it to your grandchildren ... it wont let you down :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • the_tree

Posted September 13, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Thanks RC! Think my financial manager (wife) will let me get one too - sounds like what I need.

• Thumpmeister

Posted September 13, 2005 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, I've only had one other bike besides a Honda XR, and that was a WR 400 I had for a month. Fork seals blew out 3 times in which I had it, so it was gone. The Honda XR is one, if not THE most reliable bike ever made. Honda's attention to quality is all over the bike, and even more so when you tear the bike apart. After market parts as easy to find, and so are OEM parts. The best place I've found to get OEM parts is servicehonda.com. They're not really fast in delivery, but the money saved it well worth it. Plus, they have microfiche online so you can find your parts no prob.

• targetdrone

Posted September 13, 2005 - 06:28 PM

I love my plated XR600. If you come across a 650R for a good price, grab it. Otherwise get yourself a 600 and enjoy. I saw a shirt or sticker once that said, "Notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office?"

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.