Side Stand Bolts too tight XR650R

2 replies to this topic
  • Mark_Bear

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:36 AM

Hi all

Have any of you had problems getting the side stand bolts out, I'm trying to get to the swingarm bearings to get them greased. I've broken two two hex keys and just bought a set of socket ones to use. I stripped the inside of the bolts head trying to undo it with them. I only use quality tools and I definitely used the right size. I'm not surprised though as I was damn near standing on the wrench to get it undone. It never moved.....I was wishing it'd be as loose as the kickstart bolt.

I'll probably drill it out or something when I have some spare time, but I was wondering if this is a common thing?

It seems to be a stupid bolt to use if it has to be that tight! :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:58 AM

I suspect if they were that tight that they were loc tighted in position or that electrolisis occured. Either way lots of heat may have been the answer. Now that you have stipped the the allen head, drilling and a large easy out with lots of heat may break it loose.

• roadcam

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:27 AM

yes, Id agree with the electrolosys or corrosion idea ... heat it up good, let it cool completely, repeat a few times, and go for it ... put new bolt in with anti-seize on threads ... Ive gotten to where i use that stuff almost everywhere

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.