valves

6 replies to this topic
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted September 11, 2005 - 06:10 PM

this is probably going to sound kinda dumb but how exactly do u check the valves on an xr650l? i have never done it......how do u know when to do it?

• roadcam

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:32 AM

you should buy the Honda shop manual, not cheap, but it will pay for itself quick ... adjustment should probably be checked every 2000-3000 miles, I guess ... mine never seems to need adjutment, some engines Ive owned constantly needed it ... exhaust valves tend to tighten up first, and if they get TOO tight, the valve face will be burned, and ruined ... set to TDC, check for it thru the left-side 'peephole', feeler-gauge the gap, simple enough routine, but crucial ..

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 12, 2005 - 02:25 PM

i got a clymer manual....that good enough?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted September 12, 2005 - 05:02 PM

the Clymer manual ought to be good enough for valve adjustments ... but as you get deeper into the bike, you will gradually see deficiencies and errors over time, at least thats been my experience with them ... on the other hand, while the Honda manual is more accurate, it doesn't give you much in the way of step-by-step instruction ... Clymer will show you how, the Honda manual will show you "how much", if you get my drift ...

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 12, 2005 - 05:50 PM

ne suggestions on where to get this honda manual and how much is it?

• Scott V

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:09 PM

How about the Honda shop? $40.00 since I bought a bike
or here for $48.00

http://www.helminc.c...4C9GST4FGSQ8BN4

• justicedone

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:17 PM

or E-Bay, much cheaper.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.