YZing a WR

18 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted September 11, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Thought I'd post on here to keep the information public. With the new rekluse, I think now I can safely remove my Estart and battery; I'd like to do a YZ rear fender also, but keep the front light.

So my question is; how is this done on the WR? I understand the YZ fender... But how do you take the estart off (what covers the gap)? If you take the battery off, does the light still work (I'm assuming that the charging portion of the electrical still powers it)? What is done with the airbox when the battery is removed?

I'd love to get some feedback from any of you that have done this; I'd love to lose a few pounds off this!

• dman450f

Posted September 11, 2005 - 04:55 PM

Thought I'd post on here to keep the information public. With the new rekluse, I think now I can safely remove my Estart and battery; I'd like to do a YZ rear fender also, but keep the front light.

So my question is; how is this done on the WR? I understand the YZ fender... But how do you take the estart off (what covers the gap)? If you take the battery off, does the light still work (I'm assuming that the charging portion of the electrical still powers it)? What is done with the airbox when the battery is removed?

I'd love to get some feedback from any of you that have done this; I'd love to lose a few pounds off this!

Why did you buy a wr if you want a yz bro ? :banghead:

• kincade

Posted September 11, 2005 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply 'bro'. I didn't realize I had to justify it to you, but here are the reasons; 5 speed, front headlight, charging system, softer valving, and I got one for a killer price. :banghead:

In any case, that is what I'd like to do... Any helpful replies are greatly appreciated!

• dman450f

Posted September 11, 2005 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply 'bro'. I didn't realize I had to justify it to you, but here are the reasons; 5 speed, front headlight, charging system, softer valving, and I got one for a killer price. :banghead:

In any case, that is what I'd like to do... Any helpful replies are greatly appreciated!

I wasnt asking you to justify , just curious...have a great day.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 11, 2005 - 05:39 PM

PM "NCMountainman" he did this to his to his 04 WR450 and shaved about 17 lbs of stuff of his WR! I got all of his starter and electrical parts including the battery. :banghead:

• kincade

Posted September 11, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Dman; wasn't trying to be rude; I just didn't see what the point of the question was... Have a good one!

Indy; Just PM'ed him and let him know about this thread; thought it might be helpful to have the info in the public domain!

• lipskid

Posted September 11, 2005 - 07:09 PM

Kincade- I did this to my '03 last year. Yes the light will still work. I filled the starter hole with a rubber expandable "core hole plug" from Napa Auto parts. Worked great and only cost a couple bucks. I think the size was 1 1/8 inch, but don't remember for sure. You can then cut the battery tray out of the air box cover, you need to keep the rim of the cover to mount the air box. You will need to re-jet. wieght savings for starter, starter cables, idler gears, battery, kick stand, and tail light was 16 or 17 lbs.

Took a trip over the bars during a hare scrambles. I was at the top of a hill, but couldn't bump start down the hill 'cause I have a Rekluse. Kicked my guts out while 5 guys I worked my butt off to pass cruzed by. I was so spanked by the time I got her lit, I spent the next half lap puttin along with my butt on the seat resting. I put the starter back on the next week. For me the meager weight saving was hardly worth the price. Even as sexy as the new YZ is, (and she IS SEXY), I don't know if I could buy one without a button. But then I'm spoiled......and old.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 13, 2005 - 07:12 AM

thats hardly a meager weight savings! all totaled i took over 20 lbs off my 04,and its very noticeable. when you take out the battery run the ground strap to the bolt that holds the regulator to the frame. and lose everything else. there was almost a pound of wiring that came off(indy can back me up on that) the ign switch can go(just hard wire it in the on position) along with the estart button. one nice thing is you can now buy the yz airbox ($50) that saves more than a lb and has much better airflow. you can either run the stock wr filter and cage or buy the yz setup($45) for even higher airflow(its about 10% larger) as lipskid said you can use an expandable freeze plug but,i took the case off and tig welded it shut (and yes it is aluminum) and for more zip remove the starter drive gears and clutch assmly behind the flywheel (its like losing 8oz of fww) it will still be more fww than the yz (about +6) :banghead:

• kincade

Posted September 13, 2005 - 11:54 AM

Thanks NC! That's about exactly what I was looking for. Did you keep your front light?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gmoss357

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Kincade- I did this to my '03 last year. Yes the light will still work. I filled the starter hole with a rubber expandable "core hole plug" from Napa Auto parts. Worked great and only cost a couple bucks. I think the size was 1 1/8 inch, but don't remember for sure. You can then cut the battery tray out of the air box cover, you need to keep the rim of the cover to mount the air box. You will need to re-jet. wieght savings for starter, starter cables, idler gears, battery, kick stand, and tail light was 16 or 17 lbs.

Took a trip over the bars during a hare scrambles. I was at the top of a hill, but couldn't bump start down the hill 'cause I have a Rekluse. Kicked my guts out while 5 guys I worked my butt off to pass cruzed by. I was so spanked by the time I got her lit, I spent the next half lap puttin along with my butt on the seat resting. I put the starter back on the next week. For me the meager weight saving was hardly worth the price. Even as sexy as the new YZ is, (and she IS SEXY), I don't know if I could buy one without a button. But then I'm spoiled......and old.

So you can still stall it with the Rekluse? :banghead:

• RichBaker

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:24 PM

Indy; Just PM'ed him and let him know about this thread; thought it might be helpful to have the info in the public domain!

It already is....NC documented it quite well! Do a search, you'll find it...this is just wasting server space. :banghead:

• gmoss357

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:28 PM

thats hardly a meager weight savings! all totaled i took over 20 lbs off my 04,and its very noticeable. when you take out the battery run the ground strap to the bolt that holds the regulator to the frame. and lose everything else. there was almost a pound of wiring that came off(indy can back me up on that) the ign switch can go(just hard wire it in the on position) along with the estart button. one nice thing is you can now buy the yz airbox ($50) that saves more than a lb and has much better airflow. you can either run the stock wr filter and cage or buy the yz setup($45) for even higher airflow(its about 10% larger) as lipskid said you can use an expandable freeze plug but,i took the case off and tig welded it shut (and yes it is aluminum) and for more zip remove the starter drive gears and clutch assmly behind the flywheel (its like losing 8oz of fww) it will still be more fww than the yz (about +6) :lol:

If I can ever afford a Rekluse, I would pay ya to do that to mine.? :banghead: :applause: except for maybe the tig welding part, want the ability to go back.

• kincade

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:35 PM

It already is....NC documented it quite well! Do a search, you'll find it...this is just wasting server space. :banghead:

I DID search; do you have a link to the thread where he discussed it? Because I couldn't find it anywhere in the 'yamaha' pages. If I could have found it, I would not have posted. :applause:

• Jim_bo

Posted September 13, 2005 - 03:25 PM

If you decide to do this, can I have your starter??

Jimbo

• kincade

Posted September 13, 2005 - 03:27 PM

)Well, 'have' is a loaded word. But I'll probably be selling the stuff, yes. ;-)

• silverlakerider

Posted September 13, 2005 - 03:35 PM

I have a 2000 YZ426 that has about 1,500 miles on it. I really wanted a WR but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on this bike. I've put on Acerbis Handguards,Dr.D header pipe and exhaust,Stroker seat foam & cover, Rear disc guard, kickstand, 12oz.Steahly flywheel, Devol Rad.Guards. I just put on a new Kenda Millville rear tire and new 8,500 tensile strength primary drive chain. I just had the valve clearance checked and they were perfect. The bike runs fantastic. I love it but I want to dual sport/street legal it and it would be a lot easier to street legal a WR. Especially when it comes to the wide ratio tranny and stock gearing. I would be interested in trading you bikes (I can't find where you state what year your bike is?) I live in Nevada and see that you live in Utah. It could be doable. Drop me a line via e-mail at plassee@cccomm.net or my cell 775-427-5265
thanks

• kincade

Posted September 14, 2005 - 10:32 AM

Silverlake; I'm in SLC, UT; but I'm not interested in a trade for now. I found a 2005 WR450, so I'm selling the 2004... Thanks for the offer!

• ncmountainman

Posted September 14, 2005 - 03:12 PM

its pretty dang hard to stall with the proper settings and it jetted correctly,several times i've wrecked with me and the bike tumbling and just picked it up ready to go :lol: and yes kincade i kept the headlight but you can take it off (almost 2 lbs) i figured it might help buffer any electrical spikes in the system,and i never had any electrical problems yet so........ :excuseme:all of this would apply to the 05 as well :lol: gmoss, i can do it for ya if we can get the parts together so as to gitterdone in a wknd,or.... :applause: you could just buy mine :banghead:

• ceg

Posted February 26, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for asking, I wanted the same info!
What some people don't realize is some guy's, like me, would like to have a motocross type bike to race the vet class at the local track but also have the ability to switch back to the wr set up for those weakend trips to the mountains.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.