Clutch Bushing Guide

2 replies to this topic
  • swells454

Posted September 11, 2005 - 04:11 PM

I ahve a 2001 xr650r. I was riding last weekend and the clutch started seizing up. I nursed it back home and it worked ok. I did a little research and have found that Honda has an updated part for this that allows more oil to flow to help alleviate this problem. I ordered the part and took the bike apart.
Here's the question.....I ahd to slightly smack the old clutch guide (bushing) to get it out of the back side of the clutch basket holder. The only galling I saw was on the clutch basket holder (the last 1/8" or so). I rubbed it out w/ emory cloth and it looks alright....but when the new guide goes all the way in, it will not move. It moves freely until the last 1/8" and then it is a real tight fit. Does anyone know if this is normal? The manual does not say if the guide should be loose or not when fully inserted. I'd hate to put it all together only to find out I need to replace the clutch housing as well.

Any input from others down this road would be appreciated. Thanks. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • knuklehead

Posted September 11, 2005 - 05:04 PM

I belive it should spin, maybe little more honing with emmery :banghead:

• swells454

Posted September 12, 2005 - 07:02 AM

OK - Just an update on what I found in case anyone ever has the same question.....
Yes the clutch guide (many here call it a bushing) should extend smoothly and freely all the way into the back of the ckutch pack housing. I used a dremel with a small grinder on low speed to lightly take off the affected area that was holding me up. It was little you could barely notice it yet it was enough to bind things up. I finished up w/ some 240 grit emory cloth and now I am back in business! Everything seems to slide smooth and free. I'll put her back together tonight and be ready for a big UP ride
Wed-Sun.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.