HELP my BRP is stumbling above 1/2 throttle

6 replies to this topic
  • Red4x4neck

Posted September 11, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Well I got a new FMF Q pipe and 55pilot /160 main jets for the stock carb installed them and now the BRP stumbles all over the place above 1/2 throttle. Idles like a champ :banghead: and revs pretty cleanly up to 1/2 throttle but that is where the response flat lines and starts "burbling" :applause:
No popping or back firing just burbling exhuast note and flat line throttle response.
I, for the purpose of testing, had my left side plate off since I haven't cut the top of the air box off yet and I run an K&N air filter.

I performed the "dave mod" iaw http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/ and everything went smoothly with the exception of installing the top diaphram seen Here. It seemed like mine had grown an extra 1/4 in in circumfrence and didn't want to fit back in the groove. I did my level best to seat it by half installing the lid and carefully pushing it into place with a small screw driver but I cant be totally certain that it is properly seated.

The only other thing that is different is the oil level, I changed it and in the process over filled it....dunno if that would affect throttle though...

Please help

Rob

• Red4x4neck

Posted September 11, 2005 - 09:01 PM

Well there are times I wish I didn't run to the forums so quick :banghead:

I have to eat a big bite of humble pie.

Immediately upon typing the above request for help I called a friend of mine who is a bit of a mechanic and fellow honda rider. He listened to what I had done with the carb and asked a couple of questions the last of which was "did you modifiy the slide spring? Stretch it or anything?" ............

I thought for a second ....Slide spring....DUH....:lol:

I ran back into the shop and guess what was laying right there on the bench (ie I had forgot to replace it when I re-assembled the carb).
Long story short I quickly (but carefuly) removed the carb just enough to reinstall the spring and now the Bike has a new lease on life. :lol:

Oh well alls well that ends well....

Now the bike is a whole new machine ...Thanks Dave :applause:

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 11, 2005 - 10:03 PM

don't feel bad, once i put the floats in upside down and my bike wouldn't start, so i almost cried. :applause: And another time i forgot to put the plug cap back on when i changed the spark plug and boy did i feel smart when i fixed that problem :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Red4x4neck

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for the thoughts

That same friend I called also informed me that if I had failed to make the seal on the top end I would have had a massive vaccum leak. Vaccum leaks equal erradic or no idle and or no start. Mine was starting and idling like a champ, in fact it would pull moderatly well up to about 45 mph but it sounded like it was trying to gargle its gas instead of combust it. :lol:

So there is a couple of notes for everyone: Slide diaphram, if not seated well, will result in poor start/idle. and on a Khein CV carb it will run with out the slide spring but will not accelerate. :banghead:

The funny thing was when I saw the spring on the bench, the very first thing that went through my mind was a replay of Napolean Dynamite "IIIDIOT...." :applause:

Happy riding
Rob

• Supplicate

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:30 AM

don't feel bad, once i put the floats in upside down and my bike wouldn't start, so i almost cried. :lol: And another time i forgot to put the plug cap back on when i changed the spark plug and boy did i feel smart when i fixed that problem :applause:

i've done that.

worst one I've ever done though... was not put a spark plug back in :lol: and then wonder if something in the exhaust was leaking when it was making all those funny noises when I kicked it over :banghead:

• gggjr

Posted September 27, 2005 - 01:14 PM

Question,,Sorry,, But what does BRP mean ??

• don87xr600

Posted September 27, 2005 - 04:31 PM

Billet Racing Products, but seriously Big Red Pig. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.