Top End Power...

7 replies to this topic
  • dman450f

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hey guys , I am having a blast modding my bike and bolting on new parts every week . :lol: clark has given me all his jetting info that he worked so hard to dial out . :banghead: the last ride my buddies and I took yesterday was totally on the edge... :applause: But , I think my bike is a little flat on the top end...It pulls like a b@stard untill then... :lol: maybe I need to lean her out a little , what do you think? starts great , idles perfect , just love the friggin thing :lol: ... :lol: ...DC.

• goodluckmonkey

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:42 PM

Change up sooner. :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:44 PM

You may want to invest in a set of hotcams, or a high comp piston, or both.
This is the only real way to get your top end, unless you spend lots on a pipe to
move the power from bottom to top. I wouldn't go leaning it out, you won't really gain anything.

• dman450f

Posted September 11, 2005 - 03:43 PM

You may want to invest in a set of hotcams, or a high comp piston, or both.
This is the only real way to get your top end, unless you spend lots on a pipe to
move the power from bottom to top. I wouldn't go leaning it out, you won't really gain anything.

yeah , maybe I just need to start covering the bike with decals...or something... :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Anthony CRF450

Posted September 11, 2005 - 04:26 PM

sounds like a jetting problem. i have a similar problem i moved my needle clip up one and it helped lean the mix out. tonight i will try another clip up and see what happens. by doing this my top end flat spot is 'moving' to a higher rev range. i am in no way an expert, it seems like a 'fine tuning' exercise.
i hope this helps. what do you guys think? :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Doing plug chops is the only way to really tell if your jetting is right,
unless you have a lamda meter handy to get that perfect 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio.

• clark4131

Posted September 12, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Call me crazy, but if you're flattening out on your top end, it sounds like a main jet issue to me, provided you're 3/4 to WOT. If you're 1/4 to 3/4, then I'd say needle. Since they're quite easy to change without removing anything but the plug on the bottom of the carb, why not try some experimentation? What've you go to lose? Take a small variety, say a 165, 168, 170, 172, and an 8mm socket & wrench on your next ride and change them out every now and again for a little seat of the pants performance comparison. I think you're a little lower than me on the feet above sea level thing, so I'd probably try the 170 if you're not already there...SC

• dman450f

Posted September 13, 2005 - 05:15 PM

Call me crazy, but if you're flattening out on your top end, it sounds like a main jet issue to me, provided you're 3/4 to WOT. If you're 1/4 to 3/4, then I'd say needle. Since they're quite easy to change without removing anything but the plug on the bottom of the carb, why not try some experimentation? What've you go to lose? Take a small variety, say a 165, 168, 170, 172, and an 8mm socket & wrench on your next ride and change them out every now and again for a little seat of the pants performance comparison. I think you're a little lower than me on the feet above sea level thing, so I'd probably try the 170 if you're not already there...SC

I am running the 168 , and you got the pipe , I think im close , but now its cooling down big time. time to go to the blue needle . hope it runs as good as it did when it was warm... :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.