reliability

5 replies to this topic
  • Reflex

Posted September 11, 2005 - 12:32 PM

What year yzf/wr 400/426 are the most reliable? I've been looking at some 99 400's. This would be my first 4-stroke. I am a bit nervous about reliability, for valvetrains etc. I curently own a yz125 and found it to be surprisingly reliable, and simple to work on. Will I spend more time wrencing on a (good cond) 99 yzf 400 than on my 2 smoke?
I've heard and read that the Yamaha's are the way to go for reliability, and I think a 400 will be better than a 250f because it won't need to rev'ed as much :banghead:
Thanks
Reflex

• phat_450f

Posted September 11, 2005 - 12:41 PM

Its all on how you take care of the thing. I know a guy with a 99 yz400f and he has never put a wrench to it except normal maintenance....just take care of the thing and you wont go wrong.

• Reflex

Posted September 11, 2005 - 01:24 PM

yea like oil changes and valve adjustments..? is that difficult, I know how the 4-strokes work, but have never worked on one, and how often do you have to adjust them, presuming I will not be bumping the rev limiter all the time?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 11, 2005 - 01:29 PM

i would have to disagree with the 400 vs. 250 thing, a newer 250 would keep up with a 400 no problem.

• roostmonster

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:01 PM

I own a 99 YZF 400 and love the bike. You have regular maintenance just as you will with any other bike. I highly sugest buying a clymer shop manuel. They give detailed instructions and great pictures. It takes 10 minutes to check the valves. I like to run it hard so I will be checking them every 6 months. Excessive maybe but it gives me an excuse to go into the garage. :banghead: If it has not had a timing chain replaced it is due. Make sure you do that. I bought mine for $35.00. It took me about an hour to do. I bought my bike and love it. The thing is unstoppable. As long as reqular pm has been done on the bike you should have no worries.

• Reflex

Posted September 11, 2005 - 11:17 PM

dang...
now I REALLY want one!! :banghead:
Thanks for the reply's guys

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.