JamesNow and jetting

12 replies to this topic
  • YZViper

Posted September 11, 2005 - 10:11 AM

Just did the JamesNow. Put it in fired it up, 2 minutes tops two large backfires and stall. Will not start again.

155 mj
stock everything else
2nd clip pos.
1.5 turns out on fuel screw
900ft.

Took the mod out, still won't fire. Its getting fuel, small slice in the plug wire rubber, appears ok. It still pops like it wants to fire so im sure its getting spark. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Have been running the above jetting for about 2 years and it runs good except for the bog. I know its on the lean side, im not that aggressive of a rider.

• 642MX

Posted September 11, 2005 - 11:07 AM

It may just need a new spark plug.

• YZViper

Posted September 11, 2005 - 01:40 PM

its a 2002 426

new plug

• 642MX

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:02 PM

I guess it could've jumped time. Have you checked the timing?

• YZViper

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:30 PM

No, It just seems like its starving for fuel.

Its getting fuel, the plug is wet, not flooded.

• 642MX

Posted September 11, 2005 - 03:16 PM

Any engine needs the following to run......spark, compression, air/fuel mixture. Your sure its getting fuel because the plug is wet....right? Are you sure its getting consistant spark? Does it have compression?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZViper

Posted September 11, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Plug is wet, not flooded
Plenty of compression
I can only assume on the spark. When I kick it, it pops like its gonna fire but it acts like its not getting fuel. And it only does that with full choke.

I had it started and running earlier today and then pop, nothing. Could I have a jet blocked or something. I took the fuel screw out and it is clear.

• ripntear

Posted September 11, 2005 - 05:46 PM

I had it started and running earlier today and then pop, nothing. Could I have a jet blocked or something. I took the fuel screw out and it is clear.

I would pull the carb, clean every jet and blow out all orifices. My 426 acted similar one time and the pilot was clogged.

• YZViper

Posted September 11, 2005 - 06:07 PM

I would pull the carb.

Thats my next step.

• 426Climber

Posted September 14, 2005 - 10:39 AM

had the same problem. Cleaned carb and it went away. I also did the james now and have had no problems. It does seem to start easier and without the choke though.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 14, 2005 - 03:29 PM

the power now seems to richen the pilot circuit on my yz 450,maybe try leaning out the pilot jet :banghead: that would explain easier starting without the choke.

• YZViper

Posted September 15, 2005 - 12:44 AM

thanks for all the replies.

Tore down the carb and blew it out. Put it back together and viola!!

Everything running great. Unreal what a difference a simple mod as that made.

• ripntear

Posted September 15, 2005 - 01:22 AM

What are you waiting for?

Go ride!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.