Just put on my pumper today, more than I expected!

12 replies to this topic
  • snaggletooth

Posted September 10, 2005 - 10:53 PM

Every thing installed easy, no problems there. It was very lean from the factory and took many clicks (around-6) to keep it from popping when I back off of the throttle at high RPM. It was an easy adjustment since I left the needle adjuster on when I installed the carb. I was able to adjust the needle with out even taking the gas tank of or even loosening it. It was a very tight squeeze but sped things up.

I payed the big bucks for this mod because I'm only 5'07'' (yea, after hanging by my feet for an hour). It has all ways been a major pain to balance the BRP and go through starting ritual "MANY TIMES" after a crash on an uneven trail, or even a flat surface when the pig is extra flooded. I just wanted the beast to start easier!

Any way, I heard that I shouldn't expect much in performance, only a better starting bike. What a difference the carb made in preformace! My bottom and mid is waaay stronger. I have to be carefull when grabbing second on the street or the front end starts skyward.

Just like everyone has claimed, no more hesitation off idle and it does start a lot easier. I tested it by laying it on it's side. It kept running and didn't spill a drop of fuel. It kind scared me, I'm not used to seeing the pig run for any length of time while on it's side, it was like having a wounded animal in my driveway, hahaha. I couldn't take seeing the beast like that for too long so I killed the engine. I was prepaired to have to kick it a hundred times or resort to my bag of BRP starting tricks. It started after the second kick! Very impressive.

I have heard that the stock carb can be very effective if dialed in right and that the only major draw back is it's starting issues. If that's the case my stock carb must have been way out of whack because the Edelbrock made a BIG difference. BTW, my bike has all of the basic mods to include the Al Bakers gold series pipe. It was re-jetted and tuned by Al's crew. They left it a little lean, it started to pop a little after several rides. Sorry Al but I'm a Barnum fan now.

I am getting some bogging toward the end of the RPM range. I haven't noticed this problem before. It just might be the rev-limiter kicking in. It's still pretty strong up untill this point. I think that with the old carb I normally backed off just before the rev-limiter hit due to a flat spot at very high RPM. I'll have to play with it some more to figure it out. If it's not the rev limiter it should be easy adjustment with this carb.

Like many others have said, "I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THIS CARB A LOOOOOOOONG TIME AGO!

• Fordskin

Posted September 11, 2005 - 12:35 AM

I will be buying an xr650r next month. Is it a given thing that the stock carb will always have a flat spot off idle after i uncork it? How much was this carb? I live in aus.

• Cruise283

Posted September 11, 2005 - 02:13 AM

I've just purchased an Edelbrock Pumper carb off ebay - total inc shipping $570 AUD. I'm waiting for it to come, so i'll let everyone know how it goes.

• qadsan

Posted September 11, 2005 - 09:21 AM

...BTW, my bike has all of the basic mods to include the Al Bakers gold series pipe. It was re-jetted and tuned by Al's crew. They left it a little lean, it started to pop a little after several rides. Sorry Al but I'm a Barnum fan now...

Barnum worked closely with Al Baker of XR's Only and was their #1 mechanic for a number of years until Al passed away in Feb '92 from injuries sustained in '89 (his airplane crashed).

• Ramcc4x4

Posted September 11, 2005 - 10:53 AM

So out of curiosity, did you also have to adjust the accelerator pump? What are your final settings?

• qadsan

Posted September 11, 2005 - 12:12 PM

If you haven't yet adjusted your accelerator pump, it's always worth playing with in 1/8 turn increments. I adjust them with the engine running, but you got to be careful that you don't burn your hand or fingers on the header. I've metled a glove or two on headers adjusting these AP's for people :applause:, but once you get it spot on, it works just that much better :banghead:

If you adjust it, make sure you know where you current adjustment is so you can put it back if necessary. You'll find a sweet spot where there's ~1/2 turn where the pump works better and once you hone in on that sweet spot, the front end will become even lighter with a quick touch of the throttle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted September 11, 2005 - 03:01 PM

Sorry Al but I'm a Barnum fan now.

I've always been a very big supporter of Barnumspro.com

He was D37 #1 desert racer, he Soloed the Baja 1000 and got 13th!
He was the Al Bakers right hand man--before Al died and things got off track overthere...

Rob Barnum knows more about mods for the XR650R than anyone.

Plus he doesnt suffer from 'dirt bike snob syndrome' .... he's cool and approachable and doesnt run around with a hidden agenda.

Its a shame one or two guys on here trashed him in the past--he's a great resource.

• snaggletooth

Posted September 11, 2005 - 08:48 PM

Fordskin, get the edlebrock! It can take a very long time to get one so consider odering one now. It's a mod that you will never regret! Like I said I bought it just to make the beast start better but was surprised with a huge performance gain. I have a hard time feeling minor performance improvements, this one slapped me in the face! I have had my BRP for several years, it's no garage queen. I'll never go back to the stock carb again. If anyone one wants my old carb (or any other stock parts) I'll sell/trade it cheap. Yes, every one say's the stock carb will stumble if snapped open quick off idle (mine did). As far as the top end flat spot (stock carb) it might not have been there if it were tuned right. Barnum has them for the best price, watch out, they sell very fast. Besides, an out of the box edlebrock can easily be re-tuned to match future mods.

Ramcc4x4,
I haven't messed with the pump yet and didn't plan to because I have zero hesitation off idle. After hearing from qadson I can't wait to play with the pump settings too!

quadson, you say I can get even more loft on the front end if I play with the accelerator pump! Cool, I wish I read this earlier today.

When I was a teen (1983), living in the SF bay area, every one bragged about sending their bikes to Al Bakers XR'S Only. several years ago I bought my BRP and found out that the legendary shop was only about 35-40 miles from me. I spent a lot of money there but was a little discouraged that they didn't live up to my teen age visions of the mecca of XR tuners. I was also bummed out when they said that they had no idea that edlebrock made a pumper carb for the BRP. They also had no clue about the Evens coolant. I told them that they should go to ThumperTalk once in a while.

I still made sure that I went away with the famed "XR's Only seat cover." Back in the old day's it was proof that some guy's bike made the trip and was modified by the hands of legends. I still have dreams of sending my bike to a legendary tunner to have it modified and tunned by some one who loves and really knows the XR. I hope Barnum will not disappoint, I have faith he won't.

• bork

Posted September 12, 2005 - 10:29 AM

If you haven't yet adjusted your accelerator pump, it's always worth playing with in 1/8 turn increments. I adjust them with the engine running, but you got to be careful that you don't burn your hand or fingers on the header. I've metled a glove or two on headers adjusting these AP's for people :applause:, but once you get it spot on, it works just that much better :banghead:

If you adjust it, make sure you know where you current adjustment is so you can put it back if necessary. You'll find a sweet spot where there's ~1/2 turn where the pump works better and once you hone in on that sweet spot, the front end will become even lighter with a quick touch of the throttle.

Mine might not be working . Do they ever collapse ? Harder starting cold now. Must not be squirting at all ? qadsan , How do you adjust yours ?

• qadsan

Posted September 12, 2005 - 11:12 AM

Mine might not be working . Do they ever collapse ? Harder starting cold now. Must not be squirting at all ? qadsan , How do you adjust yours ?

As far as the AP, you can adjust this with your engine running (if you're careful). Get a small box wrench out and a standard screw driver (flat blade). While holding the screw driver in the pump screw slot, loosen the holding nut but keep the AP screw in position. Now carefully turn the pump screw clockwise until it lightly bottoms out and keep track of the number of turns. This is your current setting, so write it down for reference and put the screw back to its original setting. Now turn the AP screw 1/4 turn CW from your original setting and lock down the holding nut while keeping the AP screw in position and go test your bike on hard pack. If the off idle throttle response is lazier, then turn the screw the other direction 1/4 turn and see if its any crisper. Initially make changes in 1/4 turn increments to find the range which give you the best off idle performance. Once you find a range where the off idle response is really crisp, then make adjustments in 1/8 turns to further dial it in within that range. When you've got the pump set correctly, the off idle throttle response will be crisp and more immediate when the engine is under a load.

With my older Edelbrock that has the billet float bowl, my pump screw is set to around ~1.5 turns out. With my newer Edelbrocks that have the cast float bowls, I believe I'm closer to ~2.5 turns out, but it's been a good while since I've checked and it may be a bit different.

• BIG RED

Posted September 12, 2005 - 05:29 PM

I ordered the mikuni pumper on the advice of my local bike shop. i sure hope i am half as happy with it as you are with the edelbrock. hopfully have it tomorrow

• Xr650LMartin

Posted October 04, 2005 - 06:23 PM

With my older Edelbrock that has the billet float bowl, my pump screw is set to around ~1.5 turns out. With my newer Edelbrocks that have the cast float bowls, I believe I'm closer to ~2.5 turns out, but it's been a good while since I've checked and it may be a bit different.

Hi
I just installed my edelbrock on my L. When you say 2.5 turns out, do you mean out from seated on lock nut? Mine is way more out than 2.5 turns.

thanks

• Xr650LMartin

Posted October 05, 2005 - 11:18 AM

ok nevermind last post I just checked and it does not seat on the locknut. I'm at 2.5 turns out too. Very crisp response off idle.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.