Better handling on trails

No replies to this topic
  • sgifford

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:44 PM

I recently completed a top-end rebuild on my son's XR250 (now a 280). To break it in, I spent some time riding the bike on trails. I had never really ridden it much before, but I found I really enjoyed how light and quick it was through a twisty trail. It was a real contrast to my XR650L.

There's not much more I can do to lighten up my L, but I did decide to raise the fork tubes 5mm (the line where the fork cap meets the fork tube is 5mm above the triple-clamp) to see if it would handle better on trails. It has made a very noticeable difference. My 'L' steers more quickly, and I'm able to throw it around corners more easily than before. It's easier for me to use berms to get through a corner quickly.

I haven't had a chance to ride at freeway speeds yet, but I don't expect a problem with stability. I've been up to approx 55 mph in the dirt, and it felt stable.

Just thought I'd share this for anyone who'd like a quicker-handling BRP in the trails.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.