need some 426 info

1 reply to this topic
  • redgrizz

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:51 AM

hey guys. im gonna be lookinf or a new bike soon. i need a bike that can handle woods and also when i feel like it handle some jumps. i will either be getting a 426 or yz250. but i need some info on the 426. Can it handle what i want to do? the valves on the 426 are shim and bucket right? are they reliable(yes i know evrything is when you take care of them but i mean were there any problems from the factory or a common problem), i know 2001 was the forst year for titiamium valves, which would you pick the steel or titinaium, iv heard people pick either but i odnt knoe exzactly why, and finally what shoudl i look for specifically when buying a used one. I know the usual stuff like bearings and stuff but anything specific? thankyou for the help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exIT

Posted September 10, 2005 - 10:45 AM

"Can it handle what i want to do?" -- Absolutely

"the valves on the 426 are shim and bucket right?" -- Yes

"are they reliable" -- Yes

"i know 2001 was the forst year for titiamium valves, which would you pick the steel or titinaium" -- Can't say but I haven't had any reason to not stay with the titanium valves that came in it.

"and finally what shoudl i look for specifically when buying a used one." -- Nothing specific that I can think of.

I have a '01 YZ426 that I use only for forest/desert trail riding and have never had more fun on a bike. In the 3 years that I have owned the bike I haven't had a single problem with it. At the next valve check I will probably need to re-shim a valve for the first time. Get the jetting right and cure the Yamabog problem (do the BK/GB mod to the carb) and your good to go.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.