Converting YZ426 to a Desert Bike

13 replies to this topic
  • eric_scott_425

Posted September 09, 2005 - 10:06 PM

I'm a proud owner of a 2001 YZ426. I've recently upgraded to a 05' RMZ450 for my track racing. Instead of selling my 426, I'm thinking of converting it to a full on desert racing bike, lights, oversized tank... the works.

Has anyone done such a conversion? Can you recommend a place to get lights, turnsignals, oversized tanks, and all the other needs?

Also, can you register it street leagal in CA?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!!

• BlueRide

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:35 AM

I don't know about getting it plated, but do a forum search for street legal or YZ conversion and you will find alot, several posts/threads from me when I street-ified my 99 YZ400 in AZ/CO.

You're gonna need at least:

Stator/ Ignition upgrade ( i used a WR ignition/flyweel- check year/model for compatability-- electrexusa makes a 50w booster-- eline makes a 200W replacement.)
lights (i used Acerbis DHH- 2 35W beams)
wiring harness (Steahlyoffroad.com)
rectifier (surge protector) same steahlyoffroad

for street youll need above plus
LED taillight (acerbis LED, looks sharp, easy to install)
brake switch also Steahly offroad
horn (local purchase- electric- hooks to hot lead on lights
mirror ( any will do)

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 10, 2005 - 12:20 PM

For lights, turn signals and all electrical components, see Baja Designs.
http://www.bajadesigns.com

You'll also be needing a bigger tank. I reccomend Clarke.
http://www.clarkemfg.com

Scotts Steering Stabilizer is the best mod money can buy.
http://www.scottsonline.com

You'll also need a suspension revalve.
http://www.factoryconnection.com

Thats a start for ya.

• Pincushion

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:34 PM

Big tank, steering stabilzer, suspension work and tall gearing. YZ's make great desert bikes (I think anyway).

Good luck on getting it regged in Cali. The passed a law at the end of 2003 that no off-ride bikes will be regged unless they are sold as street legal. Some say there are ways around this, but I've never witnessed any firsthand.

Let me know if figure it out cause I'd love to do the same.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Yup, almost forgot. Taller gearing is a must for open desert riding.

• MisterMan

Posted September 11, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Big tank, steering stabilzer, suspension work and tall gearing. YZ's make great desert bikes (I think anyway).

Good luck on getting it regged in Cali. The passed a law at the end of 2003 that no off-ride bikes will be regged unless they are sold as street legal. Some say there are ways around this, but I've never witnessed any firsthand.

Let me know if figure it out cause I'd love to do the same.

get legalized in nevada...bring back and re-register it in cali.

• Pincushion

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:37 AM

get legalized in nevada...bring back and re-register it in cali.

I've considered it, but the first time I get pulled over and produce a Cali license then the gig is up.

When I moved back to Cali in 98' from Chicago I didn't get my truck registered for a few years (kept getting it regged through IL), but since I got a ticket in early 1999 they were able to back charge me until the date of the ticket. When I finally registered it in 2001 I had to back pay for all of 1999 and 2000 cause the address on the ticket was evidence I was a resident here.

Morale of the story: The state will get paid and they will get paid at any cost.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kbenzon

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:01 PM

where at in california do you live. in san diego and LA area you can go to cmc motorsports or go to their website. they will beat anyones price. also www.rockymountainmc.com has awesome prices on tanks. for desert go with the natural tank. it is easier to see how much gas you have at all times which is a must when pre-running. also mark your tank at the half way mark and pick up a hand held gps if you dont already have one. that way you know about how far you can travel from your base camp before need juice or have to turn back. desert lights are not cheap. there are some cheaper lights out there for the average joe but if you are serious about the desert good lighting is a must. look at spending about 300 bones for bike mounted and 200 for helmet lights. battery pack and stators are not included in those prices. other than that tires are really the only other thing that you need. we run dunlop 739 tires and have no problems. bring lots of tubes or consider solid inserts. the inserts only last one race but you can go through a couple of tubes in a race. each insert is about 100 bucks.

• MisterMan

Posted September 21, 2005 - 07:19 PM

just tell the po po that it blonged to you, u are loaning it to a friend there in nev. and thats why u are there /w/ a cali lic/reg.

• silverlakerider

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:53 AM

I see you got some good info. regarding all the accessories, so I'll tackle the CA reg. I ran into a guy on the trail two weeks ago and he runs a dirt/street conversion place in San Jose. He gets around CA law and calls the dirtbikes "specially constructed vehicles" so he can register them. Just like Jesse James and the boys do for choppers etc. His website is
www.offroad-only.com and he sells Joe Racer products. For a onetime fee he'll take your bike do all the work and all the CA paperwork and your ready to rock. Good luck. :banghead:

• rickmiester

Posted September 22, 2005 - 01:16 PM

found a place in san jose, www.offroad-only.com that it think can do it 408-979-9796 i called them they said can do only green sticker bikes, they have an ad in craigs list saying they can duelsport your bike lighting kit and blinkers and get it plated for turn key for $1200 dollars check it out.

• dez4ever

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:34 PM

Depending upon what direction you go with lighting and all, you'll probably want to look into some form of flywheel weight...whether what ever kit you buy comes with it or not. My last bike was a 426 used mainly for desert racing and I took a little hint from the pros and added a flywheel weight to help prevent stalling, it made a big difference.

• yogist

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:59 PM

I understand the e line stator, 180 watts, also acts like a flywheel weight making the 426 power more " managable...Go to ricky stator .com for lights and e line stator.....

• tp3dxf

Posted September 23, 2005 - 10:34 PM

Depending upon what direction you go with lighting and all, you'll probably want to look into some form of flywheel weight...whether what ever kit you buy comes with it or not. My last bike was a 426 used mainly for desert racing and I took a little hint from the pros and added a flywheel weight to help prevent stalling, it made a big difference.

I have raced a WR426 for the last 3 years in D-37 here in So. Cal. It's a great dez bike.

The biggest complaint I have heard from most YZ riders is the stalling in the tight stuff. I agree with adding a flywheel weight to a YZ for dez racing. Believe it or not we get into some really tight slow rocky canyons out in the dez. This type of riding can lead to stalled bikes.

Get a stabilizer I run a GPR and love it. Scotts are also very popular. I also suggest a larger tank. Clarke over the IMS.

I got a plate for my 01WR426 as soon as I got a green sticker for the bike. Law's have changed and it's a lot tougher to get a plate now. It can still be done but it's a lot harder. I have a Baja Designs D/S kit on my WR. I have had 3 different Baja Designs kits on 3 different bikes. If I was to do it again today I would not get a Baja Desings kit. Had some problems with them. I would suggest trickdualsport.

If you do start to race dez more and get a plate you will know right away that you'll need to change your gearing. I don't know what your YZ has but a 14/48 is a good place to start.

Good luck as you know the YZ/WR motors are great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.