450 Valve question

4 replies to this topic
  • Shorte01

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:47 PM

My question is this: My 450 is the first bike I've owned. I consider myself pretty mechanically sound but have never really worked on bikes. I'm the only one out of my group that is on a thumper, so I don't really have anyone to look to for advice. I don't want to get into the valve project and screw something up or sit there scratching my head, wondering what to do next . Are they something a first-timer could handle somewhat easily or should my first valve check-up be left to a professional, and if so, what could I expect to pay for the service? Any ideas, opinions, or confidence-boosters would be much appreciated :banghead: Thanks!

• big t

Posted September 09, 2005 - 10:15 PM

As long as you have the manual it is easy. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted September 10, 2005 - 06:32 AM

http://www.thumperfa.../oemmanuals.htm

• Ga426owner

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:09 AM

You are the only thumper in your group???? man reminds me of 1999...I was the only thumper back then..Now almost 95% ride Thumpers..interesting

Take your time, use the right tools and you will see how easy it is...or take it to your trusted Tuner/yami dealer...

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2005 - 10:02 AM

Almost anyone can check them. Adjusting them is more complicated, but if you're careful, it's mostly just time consuming. Cam timing and torquing the caps are the critical parts, and both of them are easily done right.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.