2nd gear noise.. What the ????

4 replies to this topic
  • JustDucki

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:56 PM

Alright, I did a search and really didn't find anything other than something about gear facing which I really didn't understand...This is my second XR650L and I do remember the first one making a fair amount of tranny noise even with only a 2K miles on it. However, I do not recall it making growling noise at low speed under lug in 2nd gear like this one.. Only in second gear and only while lugging it. Higher RPM.. Not a problem.. No skipping, jumping or erratic behavior just a lot of noise... If it was doing it in all gears.. I would say a bearing but only in 2nd gear :banghead:. If someone else has this problem and it is just the nature of the beast let me know.. If the worst case scenario is that I will eventually lose 2nd gear (could be anytime).. than I will keep riding it until then.

Some of you folks with older 650L's let me know.. I would just assume live with the noise but if it is a cheap fix.. than I will reconsider.. Who needs second anyway?? :applause:

• captb

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:06 PM

I don't remember my last 650L making any excessive noise, you may want to drain the oil and see if you see alot of metalic particals and cut the filter open and see how it looks inside. Maybe a bent shift fork.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JustDucki

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:30 PM

I looked at the oil when I changed it and didnt see anything abnormal.. no metal particles etc.. Checked the filter as well. .Nothin.. If it is a bent fork can I just run it that way.. and shouldn't it do it in every gear.

• captb

Posted September 09, 2005 - 11:08 PM

I havn't had a gear problem since way back on my trail 70, I did a jump and broke second gear, had to split the cases, it's a roll of dice to see if it gets worse, the forks move back and forth with every gear change, it can be a bushing or bearing in one of the gears on either shaft, some freewheel on the shaft while others lock in to other gears and rotate the shaft depending on which gear is selected, it's not the end main shaft bearings or the noise would be there all the time since both gear shafts rotate when ever it's in any gear with the clutch engaged (moving) if there's no metal that's good. May want to check the frame downtube oil strainer screen, some particals would be normal if it has never been cleaned before. The normal problem with second gear is jumping out of gear due to the engagement dogs being worn and rounded off.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 11, 2005 - 04:54 PM

when i shift into second it makes quite the thunk but other than that.....no noise at all

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.