Outrageous XR-650R Hillclimber!!

4 replies to this topic
  • woodsrat

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:02 PM

Jeff Thomas of thomasracingservice.com just finished a really trick XR-650R hillclimber. It's in one of his own custom frames (based on CRF-450 geometry) running on methanol and nitrous. The nitrous system uses no pump--extra fuel is supplied by pressurizing the carb float bowl when the nitrous is turned on which forces more fuel through the jets (the bowl vents are plugged, obviously). All of the charging system including the left sidecover has been removed and a remote starter drive on the crankshaft installed so it can be started with a hand held automobile starter motor. It uses a Dyna Ignition which is driven off of the cam. If I can get some pictures of it I'll post 'em when I can.
For those in the midwest supposedly the new owner will be coming here to ride it at the "East-West Hillclimb Shoot-Out" at Nashville (Ski World), Indiana on Sept. 18 so you can come and see it run!!

• JackAttack

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:43 PM

Sounds like a good bike for Irondude to ride in this years Baja 1000. :banghead:

Should be almost as fast as the CRF600.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Toolmaker

Posted September 12, 2005 - 11:44 AM

Woodsrat
where can I find some info on this event ? I would like to go but don't want to drive four hours for nothing . Thanks Steve

• woodsrat

Posted September 13, 2005 - 06:30 PM

The latest on the XR-650R hillclimber--I hear it blew up during testing. Will the builder get it back together before the weekend? Don't rule it out--this guy is one of those whatever-it-takes kind of guys. Before the recent Pogue's Hole professional hillclimb in New York he put in a week that would kill most of us, getting maybe 20 hours of sleep the whole week prior. He fired up two brand-new hillclimbers at 10 PM the day before, loaded up, drove to New York and then won the 800 class and took second in the 540.
Hopefully it'll be together this weekend and I can get some pics of it to post. It's way cool!!!

• woodsrat

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:17 PM

I just got back from the Nashville (Indiana) "Nitro Nationals" East-West Hillclimb Shoot-Out amateur day. Wow!! You ought to see the outrageous equipment that'll race tomorrow in the Shoot-Out. Side-by-side twin-engine Husabergs on nitrous!! A front-to-back twin-engine Honda "CR-1000"!! All sorts of big street-bike motored 'climbers that use paddle tires and chains on nitromethane!!
Anybody in the midwest area who misses this event is really going to blow an opportunity to see the most incredible hillclimb equipment in America!! Y'all come!!!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.