Kickstarter Grinding/slipping!!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • BRP-rider

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:39 PM

HI,

I WENT TO KICK OVER MY XR600R THE OTHER DAY.
ON THE FIRST KICK THE KICKSTARTER IMMEDIATELY
SLIPPED AND MADE A GRINDING SOUND INSIDE THE
RIGHT CASE, AND I COULD FEEL THE GRIND IN
THE KICKSTARTER LEVER ASWELL. SOMETHING IS SLIPPING IN THERE AND TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT,
IT'S MESSING UP MY VALVE TIMING. THIS IS NOW THE SECOND TIME IT'S HAPPEND. :banghead: ANY IDEAS??
THANKS

• Thumpmeister

Posted September 10, 2005 - 12:12 AM

Wait, this is messing up your valve timing? That doesn't make any sence because the kick start isn't connected to the valve train in any way. If your kick start is slipping, the things that come to mind is either your ratchet assembly isn't functioning right, or not at all. Secondly, could be the spring popping the gears into place. There could be a number of reasons why its grinding. But, as for it messing up your valve timing, I don't know how that would work, because your auto decomp system is completely seperate from the kick start system, unlike on the older XR's.

• BRP-rider

Posted September 10, 2005 - 08:43 AM

Hi,

My bike is an older XR. 1990. So could the Auto dcompression system be messing up the valve timing? :banghead:

I pulled apart the kickstarter system. What ratchet did you say could be slipping? :applause:

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted September 10, 2005 - 10:05 AM

Ooooh, I didn't read the part about it being a 600; I thought it was a newer 650. Well, that would make a little more sence then, because the racheting mechanism is connected w/ your auto decomp system, so if the racheting system is stuck part way open, then your auto decopm system is just slightly opening I believe your right side exhaust valve. I'm gonna give you basic directions here, so don't follow them verbatum. As for the racheting system, what your gonna have to do is pull of your left side cover to expose the kick start shaft. Once you have the cover off, then you'll notice your shaft is just kind of stuck into the engine, and you can move it up and down a little bit. You shouldn't be able to move it a whole lot, but a bit. On the shaft there is your kickstart/racheting mechanism. I'm not quite sure you can you can check this to make sure its working properly, but you could take it to your local dealer and see what they think. There should be several parts on the shaft itself; the mechanism, the spring, and the gear. Since your having valve troubles, I'm guessing its your mechanism, as that operates the auto decomp system. Hope this helps...

• BRP-rider

Posted September 10, 2005 - 11:38 AM

I took that shaft out.
How does the ratchet/auto decompressor
manage to skip the valve timing?? :banghead:

• Thumpmeister

Posted September 10, 2005 - 01:30 PM

If I remember right (its been a while), the rachet has a cam on it that turns when the kickstarter is kicked over, and is in sync w/ the engine. When it gets to a point, a the lobe on the cam hits the decomp system, which I BELIEVE is a cable running from where the kickstarter is at, to the top of the engine. A common fix for this, is a lof of guys just take the decompressor cable out instead of having to deal w/ the stupid auto decomp system. It makes for a little harder starting, but if you get used to it, its no prob.
As for the reason why its skipping your valve timing, is because I'm guessing that your cam lobe on the ratchet system might be stuck open, or the cable might be binded, or something along those lines, causing your decomp system to pretty much stay active the entire time, instead of just on kick start. The way the decomp system works, is when the bike is under a certain RPM, it essentially opens the right side exhuast valve just slightly on the compression stroke to allow for easier starting. Like I said, an easy and common fix is to just take the decomp cable out, and just go like that. The only thing is, is you have to use the manual decomp release the start the bike usually.

• BRP-rider

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Thanks alot for the info.

What you were saying about the auto decompression system sounds exactly like my problem, because it only happens to the bike when I kick the bike over hard and fast, (high rpm). So what's the best solution for fixing this?? Is just diconnecting the auto decompression system the best and easiest solution??
If so, how do I do that.

Thanks, your the Man!! :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.