When changing a jet needle from stock?

2 replies to this topic
  • yasotay1

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Ok, fairly new at this. I have a 2001 WR426 with a big gun full system, power now, and boyeson quick shot. My bike has been running pretty rich and I've changed the jetting to lean out the mix and it's almost there. A friend recommended that I go 1 or 2 steps leaner than stock on the needle. Either stock or aftermarket. I figured I'd pay 13 bucks for a stock needle from yamaha rather than try a JD kit. First of all, I ride at altitudes mostly around 8,000 to 10,000 feet locally and I'm wondering if the JD jet kit is worth it to someone that rides at high altitudes or should I stick with the stock type needle. If I put the leaner needle in will I have to rejet drastically or just minor changes. Thanks for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dman450f

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Ok, fairly new at this. I have a 2001 WR426 with a big gun full system, power now, and boyeson quick shot. My bike has been running pretty rich and I've changed the jetting to lean out the mix and it's almost there. A friend recommended that I go 1 or 2 steps leaner than stock on the needle. Either stock or aftermarket. I figured I'd pay 13 bucks for a stock needle from yamaha rather than try a JD kit. First of all, I ride at altitudes mostly around 8,000 to 10,000 feet locally and I'm wondering if the JD jet kit is worth it to someone that rides at high altitudes or should I stick with the stock type needle. If I put the leaner needle in will I have to rejet drastically or just minor changes. Thanks for any help.

I can tell you that the jd kit completely changed my bike . and there is lots of info to adjust for any altitude , you can make your bike run almost perfect... :banghead:

• 3boyz3dogz

Posted September 10, 2005 - 08:23 PM

I'll second that!! My WR wouldn't even idle until I put the JD kit in. What's nice about the kit is, it gives you a guide to help you. It matches your altitude with the proper needle (red or blue) and the proper clip position. Also it gives you the main jets with it. Being a jetting retard, this helped me a lot. Be sure to check the jetting thread at the opening page to this section. Guys have their jetting set up posted there. Saved me a lot of trial and error.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.