smokin like crazy

5 replies to this topic
  • pullatrain

Posted September 09, 2005 - 03:55 PM

Hey guys I'm in need of you're vast knowledge. I have an 84 xr500r (in my service manual it shows mainly the same engine as the 600) and the last time i went riding it started smoking. It has smoked on start up since i have owned the bike ( i figured it has worn valve seals) and while going downhill but it will block out the sun when i as soon as i touch the throttle. It hasn't lost any power but used a half quart of oil in the two hours that i was out. What gives? Is this a common problem with air cooled engines? I'm guessing that i have worn the rings out and it's time for a new piston and rings but i would like to know if there are other things to check first. I have checked to make sure that the vent is clear.

• pullatrain

Posted September 10, 2005 - 06:40 PM

no one has any tips, suggestions or hints?

• No1TubaPlayer

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:21 PM

get a new piston/rings.

the old rings have worn out and let oil into the combustion chamber. this is why your xr smoked.. and why it used oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pullatrain

Posted September 23, 2005 - 04:35 PM

since i have the engine apart are there some things that need to be replaced? I found that the cam has a worn lobe and bad rocker. The piston doesn't look like it was worn and the cylinder wall didn't have a ridge (I'm sure that doesn't mean much but might be help full info on my description). other than that everything looks to be in great shape. Do i need to replace all of the rockers or just the bad one, I plan on replacing them all but if there isn't any need it would save on the cost. Is there any place that is better than another to buy the parts bikebandit etc. thanks guys.

• Xr650rhonda

Posted September 23, 2005 - 04:57 PM

http://servicehonda.com

• pwrpapa

Posted September 23, 2005 - 05:26 PM

no one has any tips, suggestions or hints?

It's time for a complete rebuild. :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.