How to lower subframe on WR450?

23 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:56 PM

Hi all; looking to get a little lower on my 05 WR450 and wondering HOW exactly the lowering of the subframe is done? I've read a ton of posts here, but I haven't seen photos or a how-to, and I hate to screw it up!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:17 PM

If you lower the subframe the rear of the seat will be lower but not the front 1/3rd where you sit in attack position. So I am unclear on the benefit of lowering subframe... Why not have the suspension professionally lowered?

• kincade

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:24 PM

The benefit is being able to touch the ground when I stop! 5'8" 30" inseam.

If you lower the rear of the subframe, how does the seat still fit on there?

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:27 PM

I was wondering the same- maybe there is some type of Lowering that I am unfamiliar with, that lowers front? But looking at my bike I don't see how the front 1/3 gets lowered... Sorry I cannot be of any help...

• kincade

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:35 PM

No; I think it only lowers the rear of the frame. But if you lower the rear only, it looks to me that the seat would not fit. And I'm not exactly sure how the rear is lowered anyway...

• DPW

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:48 PM

Here's a pic of my girlfriend's bike..lowered 2 inches with suspension and sub-frame lowered. http://www.dream-lea.../bike/yz250.JPG

There is a couple of different ways. One way is to cut the sub-frame and cut a piece out and reweld it or what I did is just oval out the bottom mounting slots in the sub-frame about 5mm(I think...can't remember exactly how much) on both sides. I also raised the forks up to the second line. Lowering the subframe will help a bit, but after trying to get the bike right for the girlfriend I finally went and had the suspension lowered and revalved for her, best money spent. I would try the subframe first and see what that buys since it's pretty much a free mod.

Hope that helps do a search on the Yamaha forums on lowering and subframes should find plenty.

• Balcs23

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:44 PM

I read about Timmy Ferry's factory bike and they said they oval out the holes on the lower subframe where it connects to the frame. All it does is pivet the entire subframe down a little, the seat and everything attached goes with it. It is not a huge difference but it will help a little. I am 5'9 and could use a lower seat hight but I just ride the mother. :banghead:

• DPW

Posted September 10, 2005 - 04:33 AM

I read about Timmy Ferry's factory bike and they said they oval out the holes on the lower subframe where it connects to the frame. All it does is pivet the entire subframe down a little, the seat and everything attached goes with it. It is not a huge difference but it will help a little. I am 5'9 and could use a lower seat hight but I just ride the mother. :banghead:

Exactly!

• 6fiddy

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:17 AM

I think someone would do well if they sold a "low-seat" for the wr426 that was still comfy, but 2 inches lower to the ground. Im 5'9 30in inseam, I find it difficult sometimes to plant my foot down for a little needed balance coming out of tight turns with the throttle on and the arse end swinging loose! Maybe I should have the suspension adjusted professionnaly too!

• rushfan

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:22 AM

How about shaving down the seat. I am 5'7" and I shaved my seat down a whole 1" in the middle and feathered it to nothing towards the rear. Now I feel like I sit in the bike more instead of on the bike.
What I did was take off the seat cover, used a fine tooth hack saw blade ( alone ) and stood behind the bike and started carving / cutting until I got the contour that I wanted.Then I used an orbital sander to smooth it all and round it to the shape that I wanted. Tah dah!!!
I was inspired by another member on this forum on how to do so and I'm glad I did it. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe Reitman

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:41 AM

Tim Ferry probably needed it lower for blitzing whoops where you must stay back and the bike is bucking violently under you. Much less need for that on a woods bike. The issue here is being able to touch ground at a standstill. At that point you should be on front 1/3rd of seat. So I don't get the seat shaving or subframe lowering. The WR seat does not have mych padding anyway. The professional suspension lowering is the only viable option, in my opinion. :banghead:

• Jim_bo

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:43 AM

Geez.... I don't know what the 426 is like, by my 03 WR450's seat is so thin that if I cut an inch off of it, I'd be sitting on the frame!!

Jimbo

• kincade

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:08 AM

Wow, I didn't want to start an argument on the benefits of the subframe lowering; I've researched the different options EXTENSIVELY; seat is shaved, I already have went from an 04WR450 to an 05WR450 for the lower height. There is a 10 page or so thread already about this a few pages back.

My question was how, not why. This is my last attempt before sending the suspension off. This is free, suspension is $700. Hence, my interest in a much cheaper mod. ;-)

DPW; thanks for the photos. Do you have any other photos of the holes you ovaled, etc? I'd be very interested to see how you did it. Any negative effects you can see from doing it?

• DPW

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:41 AM

My question was how, not why. This is my last attempt before sending the suspension off. This is free, suspension is $700. Hence, my interest in a much cheaper mod. ;-)

DPW; thanks for the photos. Do you have any other photos of the holes you ovaled, etc? I'd be very interested to see how you did it. Any negative effects you can see from doing it?

I believe http://www.factoryconnection.com/ will lower the suspension for free with a revalve...worth checking into.

No pictures of the ovaled out holes sorry..bikes already for Sunday otherwise I'd loosen some bolts and snap some pics. I went to Home Depot and picked up a $30 dremmel tool and a course cutter for grinding metal. Take the sub-frame off the bike, yes you can leave it on but it's easier with it off the bike. The two bottom mounting holes on the sub-frame left and right measure up about 5mm and mark with a sharpie or whatever and than get the dremmel tool and oval the holes to the mark, take your time. You always have the ovaled out area filled back in by a welder if you wish to return the bike to stock. I had zero problem bolting everything backup and unless you know the sub-frame is lowered you can't tell. After that raise the forks up in the triple clamps to the bottom line to help also. Do not expect a night and day difference...it will help though get the feet closer to the ground and lower the back-end.

It's free and will not hurt anything.

Each to your own....just thought I'd share my experience with lowering a bike.

• DPW

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:49 AM

More Info
http://allthingsmoto...876&postcount=6

• jasilva

Posted September 10, 2005 - 10:02 AM

Tim Ferry probably needed it lower for blitzing whoops where you must stay back and the bike is bucking violently under you. Much less need for that on a woods bike. The issue here is being able to touch ground at a standstill. At that point you should be on front 1/3rd of seat. So I don't get the seat shaving or subframe lowering. The WR seat does not have mych padding anyway. The professional suspension lowering is the only viable option, in my opinion. :lol:

Fortunately yours is not the only opinion heard here. I am the member that inspired rushfan to lower his seat height by trimming it. The seat has a lot more padding that it appears and you really shouldn't be sitting when your riding any kind of rough terrain anyway. :applause: But it actually makes the seat more comfortable when you cut it down. It widens the seating area somewhat and gets rid of the surface foam from the seat which is actually the part that makes the seat hard and uncomfortable(the seat foam is heated in the mold to shape so the surface foam is actually more like plastic since the air pockets have been pressed out). If you are really short then professional suspension lowering may still be neccessary but why spend the money if all you really need is an inch or so less seat height. :banghead: See my bikeHERE to see what the seat looks like after cutting. HERE is the article with instructions for seat lowering.

Joe

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 10, 2005 - 11:15 AM

Per the picture you linked to I see you were able to lower it substantially especially in one area.

I cut my son's PW80 seat when I added a longer aftermarket shock a couple years back. It firmed it up some, but was still acceptable because the bike had an old school 80's style tall cushy seat. Trimming it to modern specs accomplished the goal of letting him touch the ground. :banghead:

Fortunately, he has a very stand up riding style. No need to be way forward on the PW clamping your knees and holding on with your thighs to prevent arm pump from the "death grip" upon acceleration, on a PW. Now a decorked free modded WR450 is another thing entirely. :applause: As is the KTM 65 Matt is on now- too bad that has such a hard, uncomfortable seat from the factory...

Does the low spot affect getting forward for tight turns, or staying forward for hard acceleration out of turns? I have always liked a fairly flat seat to facilitate that.

I do agree that off road you should be standing much of the time. But, on more open trails where you turn mx style and sit forward mx style coming out of tight turns, that seat becomes a critical tool in your go fast repertoire...

I did not realize that the seat softened up below the top surface. Maybe that is why my WR seat seems firm compared to my KX. The KX has had over 2 years to "break in".

Suspension lowering front and rear is a $250 cost around here. Should someone consider that I suggest shopping around. The guy in GA who does it is Mark Klein, a/k/a MXTuner. He has done several suspension rebuilds and a revalve on my KX. Very reasonable and good work. Not sure if he regularly does suspension through the mail, but does not hurt to ask.

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 10, 2005 - 12:12 PM

Another thought- Pro Taper universal clamps and their Universal low bend bars. The forks almost hit the stock bars on my 05 since I dropped the front for better conrnering, but appear to have another .5"+ of adjustability otherwise. Pro Taper Universal mount raises the bars .75" giving more room to slide the forks up. Thus you get 2 birds with one stone- big bars and a .5 to .75" front end drop.

Then you can back off the shock preload some to even things out. If the .75" drop is not quite enough then maybe some very mild seat cutting would get you the rest of the way there.

Another thought is to run a shorter rear tire. For example on my KX the height differential of Pirelli MT16 120/90-19 versus Michelin s12 130/70-19- [Like a 110/90-19] was close to 2"!!!! I would not have believed it if I had not measured it myself. The Michelin M12 or s12 in 130/80-18 should be relatively low profile- anyone run this size that can confirm?

Good luck. :banghead:

ps-I apologize if this has been covered before.

• drewpeacock

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Check this out. http://www.mountainm...oweringlink.php I have one and really like it.

• jasilva

Posted September 10, 2005 - 08:56 PM

Joe, sorry if I sounded smartassed in my first reply, I re-read it and it was somewhat harsh. I feel like the cut seat actually helps hold me forward when I'm seated and I was really surprised at how much more comfortable it is after cutting and reshaping it.

Joe

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.