Cam timing adjusted.....should I weld them??

11 replies to this topic
  • Ronin 26

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:33 PM

I just finished an engine repair/build and I adjusted the cam timing by pressing the sprockets on and off to get them where I wanted them. The intake was easy.....the exhaust was not. The bike (03 450) runs great and pulls hard but I've spent a couple of nights sleepless in regards to the cams. I know there has been lots of talk about the sprockets slipping on the cams and I used some locktite when I reassembled but I think for the sake of getting my much needed rest I will probably fire up the tig and make sure they won't slip. What do you guys think??? :banghead:

• Pincushion

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:02 PM

What good is loctite going to do? Does the gear bolt to the cam?

I dont think I'd be sleeping either if I saw the gears removed from my cams.

• Ronin 26

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:13 PM

no, the gear presses on as I said. I remove sprockets all the time to install aftermarket bosses for adjustable sprockets. The reason I asked opinions is because of all the stuff floating around about the sprockets slipping on the cams. The locktite will LOCK the gear on the shaft, in theory.

• Pincushion

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:20 PM

I see. I certainly dont have any knowledge of the subject, but I'd be concerned about the intake cam, especially since you said the gear came off easy.
You could weld a small tack, but I'd worry about it changing the rotational mass and may lead to other valvetrain issues.

They are a pain in the ass to time, aren't they?

• 02YZ426

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:21 PM

You mean that you just put the locktite on the shaft and pressed the gear over it? If its the red stuff it should hold up... I use that stuff to hold in bearing races in transmissions and it holds like a weld.

• Ronin 26

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:49 PM

Yes it was red, and I had the same thoughts about it, however if they do slip it gets ugly!!! The piston doesn't like it when the valves invade it's space. The intake was easy because it doesn't have the automatic decompressor. The press fit seemed tight, but I didn't measure it........should have. That's a good thought about the rotating weight Pin, but I don't think a couple of evenly spaced tacks would affect anything.

Anyone else??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted September 09, 2005 - 04:25 PM

You could weld a small tack, but I'd worry about it changing the rotational mass and may lead to other valvetrain issues.

I had the intake cam gear spin on my YZ400 some time back. Enginedynamics hooked me up. And in the process at my request welded the gears onto the cams. They just put 2 small tacks opposite to each other. Hasent seemed to have any negative affect on my bike at all.

But I do have one thought about this. If for some reason a cam were to sieze for whatever reason while the engine is running. Something has to give. When the gear isn't welded it will spin. If it is welded....something is gonna break. :banghead:

• Ronin 26

Posted September 09, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the info. If a cam seizes your already broken. I prefer the extra insurance.

• FFRacing79

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Don't worry about it...I have pressed and removed the gears many times with no problems and I am turning 13K rpm. Press it on and leave it! Tdub
Just out of curiousity...what lobe centers did you end up with??

• Ronin 26

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:30 PM

Thanks, I'm not at the shop right now I'll post them tomorrow. What do you usually run for lc's?

• FFRacing79

Posted September 10, 2005 - 11:27 AM

On the 450 I ran last year at the nationals, I ran 100 to 105 on the small tracks and TTs. When I wanted peak HP for the 1/2 miles and Miles I ran 108 to 110 on the intakes. Stock exhaust works as good as anything out there at 107. Tdub

• Ronin 26

Posted September 10, 2005 - 02:22 PM

I'm running the ex at 103 and the in at 105.5 I was shooting for something a little different but had the sprockets off a couple of times and settled here. It's fairly close to stock but I had to adjust it back here after milling.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.