UPDATE! My XR650R got Plated TODAY!!!!

31 replies to this topic
  • RingKingPin

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:44 PM

I took my XR650R title down to my local Licensing business and tried to get the same thing done. Problem was she was familiar with the official state policy. She asked if the state patrol looked the bike over. I told her they would not inspect any bikes for this purpose anymore but that it was still legal to issue a dual purpose license. So she got on her computer and started looking up the requirements for dual purpose licensing. I was watching her screen and according to everything she was reading she could do it. She couldn't believe what she was reading so she called Olympia. They told her no and so she said she could not do it.

In the end their computers have to agree with the present law that actually allows dual sporting. But the official policy does not have to agree with the law. I suspect after all your paper work gets to Olympia they will see that the lady who helped you broke official policy. She will be reprimanded for her actions and will not do it again.

I noticed in your pictures that your bike is not street legal. So you better be careful. The plate will not save you from a ticket if you do not have brake lights, horn, mirrors and speedometer which is a bare minimum for riding on Washington State roads including logging roads.

I'm glad you got your plate, I may try a few more places but over here they are pretty familiar with this issue.

So you're claiming that the "official" policy of WA is that you can't get it plated? If that's the case, why would the computer tell her differently? Are you sure it wasn't an ignorant, under achieving, over paid employee in Olympia? :applause:
Since you're trying to get your's plated, it seems to me that you should talk to this guy and bring the DMV Woman a box of chocolates and tell her ImpalaR1 sent you! :ride: :p

• Supplicate

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:26 PM

You guys have me convinced to go in and try and get mine plated.

The jerk cop who came and did my VIN check when it was purchased was on a real anti-bike powertrip at the time, but here we don't have to have a report, just the paperwork signed that the VIN's matched between paperwork and bike.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:50 PM

So you're claiming that the "official" policy of WA is that you can't get it plated? If that's the case, why would the computer tell her differently? Are you sure it wasn't an ignorant, under achieving, over paid employee in Olympia? :applause:
Since you're trying to get your's plated, it seems to me that you should talk to this guy and bring the DMV Woman a box of chocolates and tell her ImpalaR1 sent you! :ride: :p

Official policy does not equate with what is law. The law of Washington state allows for dual sporting. But the state policy is to say no. She was not an ignorant under achiever but simply following the dictates of her employer "The State Of Washington Vehicle Registration Dept". This issue comes up all the time in the North West forum. Because the law technically allows it, occasionally they will dual sport a bike. Usually because the employee has not been briefed on the State Policy. It does not happen very often. I have two bikes that Washington dual sported for me before they changed their policy (not the law). I have two other dirt bikes that I cannot get plated no matter how hard I try. Now the State Patrol refuses to inspect our bikes so the vehicle registration people blame it on the State Patrol. The State Patrol blames it on the bike manufactures and claims they will inspect and pass any bike that the manufacture will stand behind as road worthy in writing. So it's a vicious circle.

Washington does not have to honor it's laws and they have successfully ignored our legal right to dual sport. So far we have been able to do nothing about it and we are at the mercy of the all powerful state.

• ztsd

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:08 PM

ztsd, I'd head to the registry before you buy all your parts. "Just" in case something goes astray, you haven't wasted any money.

Oppsss... Pretty much too late... Been busy... Got just about everything plus some extras... I’m not expecting any problems. My BRP was titled and registered in Vermont... I also hit the insurance agency and they said no problem. The only reason I haven’t registered the BRP is I only have 7 days to get an inspection sticker... Figure I’ll have it dual sported in a week or two then register and inspected.

If the bike weren’t registered then I’d have done what you suggested... Good thought, thanks!

• TimBrp

Posted November 09, 2005 - 04:02 AM

PSSTT...you don't HAVE to get it inspected...at least not yet anyhow. Tons of guys even the harleys and metric cruisers with no stickers. I didnt' know yours was titles before...my bad. Just didn't want to see you waste the money..

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted November 09, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Cool Bean. Congrads. :applause: :ride: :p :p :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ztsd

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:10 PM

PSSTT...you don't HAVE to get it inspected...at least not yet anyhow. Tons of guys even the harleys and metric cruisers with no stickers. I didnt' know yours was titles before...my bad. Just didn't want to see you waste the money..

Thanks Tim... I want to get everything legal so I have no worries... Use to not bother when I was a kid, but now I love the piece of mind. 8^)

• TimBrp

Posted November 10, 2005 - 03:58 AM

Get the plate on that thing and let's do some dualsporting!

• Bermudacat

Posted September 21, 2008 - 10:53 AM

I just got home from the liscense office with a street plate, street tabs, ORV tabs, two seperate Registrations, one that says CYC, and one that says ORV, and I now have a street legal Xr650r in Washington State!! :excuseme: :excuseme:

That's excelent! Good work!!!!

Ya make me want to buy a 300EXC and se if I could do it too. :lol:

• road_toad666

Posted September 21, 2008 - 04:36 PM

I think it's a crying damn shame that we should have to answer to the policies of people that have never even been on a bike to tell us that it "isn't road-worthy.." Give me a break. It's a little motorcycle- its not like we are asking for tags to take a tank down the interstate!!

• Billahjack

Posted September 21, 2008 - 08:21 PM

I just got home from the liscense office with a street plate, street tabs, ORV tabs, two seperate Registrations, one that says CYC, and one that says ORV, and I now have a street legal Xr650r in Washington State!!

damn good feeling isn't it :excuseme: I plated my beloved in AZ. just recently, "R"eal easy, you could plate your lawnmower there..................Congrats,................ :lol:

I thought I saw you on your lawnmower on that "police chases" show.

• HeadTrauma

Posted September 21, 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hey guys, ImpalaR1 hasn't logged into ThumperTalk since October 2005. :excuseme:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.