UPDATE! My XR650R got Plated TODAY!!!!

31 replies to this topic
  • ImpalaR1

Posted September 09, 2005 - 10:06 AM

I just got home from the liscense office with a street plate, street tabs, ORV tabs, two seperate Registrations, one that says CYC, and one that says ORV, and I now have a street legal Xr650r in Washington State!! :applause: :lol:

Here's the story how it went. It was either thumpmeister's advice in my other thread that worked, that said "ask the person for a dual use liscense," or the fact that i talked to the head Lady at the liscense office this morning and not the guy who she said didn't know what he was doing. But IT WORKED!!!! I left with a plate, tabs, And Street and ORV registrations both seperate so i can renew each seperatly. She said the guy i talked to last week didn't know what he was talking about, and that i didn't even need to go see the state patrol. I think this girl was the coolest person i've met in a long time. I went in with 320 dollars, and the total was somthing like 350, so she went back through and found a way to lower the price so i didn't have to go home to get more cash.

I think it was the girl who really made the difference, because she seemed like she knew what she was doing, she even made a few phone calls, and to my suprise she kept filling out forms and typing. She had me fill out a Odometer form which usually the previous owner has to sign, but she was cool and just let me sign it, and i had to sign another form with my estimate of the wieght of the bike, and that was that. She gave me both street and ORV registrations for the same bike. And she explained that i should just treat it as two different cars, The street one has CYC written on it, and the ORV one has ORV on it, and to carry which ever one suits my riding that day, or carry both in case the ORV parks need to see the ORV registration/tabs above and beyond the liscense plate for the street, because she said some ORV parks and trails require ORV tabs, and that a street plate doesn't work in those off road area's..... And after i had the plate and everything i said i wanted to give her a hug....LoL.....but she laughed and she was the coolest person i've dealt with. I still can't decide if she just let me slide, or if she was following the state law that u don't need an inspection, because she kept saying the other guy i talked to was wrong, and she felt sorry for me that i had to goto the state patrol last week and get shut down by them.... Either way, i'm happy and i would have givin that lady a 100 dollar tip just for being so nice. But instead i just flirted with her for awhile... :banghead: she was kinda hot to..... Police watch out now, there will be excessive wheelie's and power slide's from me in the near future.... :lol: Anyway, thanks for all the advice in the other thread guys....

• TimBrp

Posted September 09, 2005 - 10:17 AM

Congrats!

• bumpycamshaft

Posted September 09, 2005 - 10:44 AM

Yes, when ever dealing with bureaucrats never give up. Keep trying. Just as in any other business there are those who know what is going on and those who do not have a clue. The latter being the majority.

• Mescalero

Posted September 09, 2005 - 11:01 AM

Congrats on the plate!..........

now go remove your bike from the For Sale Forum :banghead:

• thumpasaurus

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Good Job!

Persistence pays once again!! woot!! :banghead: :applause:

Now go -> :lol:

• captb

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:14 PM

It's good when you find the right person to get the job done, congrats.

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:25 PM

I think thats the loop hole in Washington state. Because my title is still going to say ORV on it, but in the computors, my VIN has street use also cyc now . She explained it to me but i was to happy seeing the plate in my hand that i didn't hear everything she said.

I was getting so dissapointed, because i love this bike so much, and i had the mindframe that i was trying to sell it. But i also had the dream of 17" black rims with slicks on it to change in and out..... Me so happy...lol...

• J_Daniels

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:53 PM

YEEHAAAA!!!!!!!! That's gotta be a good feeling! Gotta get mine plated SOON!

• justicedone

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:20 PM

If she looked as good as she acted, take her some flowers dude...

ha ha

Congrats !

• Mark_Bear

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:22 PM

Box of chocolates and a bunch of flowers, you could end up having dinner.......

Oh, nice to see you go it plated, easy as here, they come that way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted September 12, 2005 - 12:07 PM

I just got home from the liscense office with a street plate, street tabs, ORV tabs, two seperate Registrations, one that says CYC, and one that says ORV, and I now have a street legal Xr650r in Washington State!! :applause: :lol:

Here's the story how it went. It was either thumpmeister's advice in my other thread that worked, that said "ask the person for a dual use liscense," or the fact that i talked to the head Lady at the liscense office this morning and not the guy who she said didn't know what he was doing. But IT WORKED!!!! I left with a plate, tabs, And Street and ORV registrations both seperate so i can renew each seperatly. She said the guy i talked to last week didn't know what he was talking about, and that i didn't even need to go see the state patrol. I think this girl was the coolest person i've met in a long time. I went in with 320 dollars, and the total was somthing like 350, so she went back through and found a way to lower the price so i didn't have to go home to get more cash.

I think it was the girl who really made the difference, because she seemed like she knew what she was doing, she even made a few phone calls, and to my suprise she kept filling out forms and typing. She had me fill out a Odometer form which usually the previous owner has to sign, but she was cool and just let me sign it, and i had to sign another form with my estimate of the wieght of the bike, and that was that. She gave me both street and ORV registrations for the same bike. And she explained that i should just treat it as two different cars, The street one has CYC written on it, and the ORV one has ORV on it, and to carry which ever one suits my riding that day, or carry both in case the ORV parks need to see the ORV registration/tabs above and beyond the liscense plate for the street, because she said some ORV parks and trails require ORV tabs, and that a street plate doesn't work in those off road area's..... And after i had the plate and everything i said i wanted to give her a hug....LoL.....but she laughed and she was the coolest person i've dealt with. I still can't decide if she just let me slide, or if she was following the state law that u don't need an inspection, because she kept saying the other guy i talked to was wrong, and she felt sorry for me that i had to goto the state patrol last week and get shut down by them.... Either way, i'm happy and i would have givin that lady a 100 dollar tip just for being so nice. But instead i just flirted with her for awhile... :banghead: she was kinda hot to..... Police watch out now, there will be excessive wheelie's and power slide's from me in the near future.... :lol: Anyway, thanks for all the advice in the other thread guys....

I took my XR650R title down to my local Licensing business and tried to get the same thing done. Problem was she was familiar with the official state policy. She asked if the state patrol looked the bike over. I told her they would not inspect any bikes for this purpose anymore but that it was still legal to issue a dual purpose license. So she got on her computer and started looking up the requirements for dual purpose licensing. I was watching her screen and according to everything she was reading she could do it. She couldn't believe what she was reading so she called Olympia. They told her no and so she said she could not do it.

In the end their computers have to agree with the present law that actually allows dual sporting. But the official policy does not have to agree with the law. I suspect after all your paper work gets to Olympia they will see that the lady who helped you broke official policy. She will be reprimanded for her actions and will not do it again.

I noticed in your pictures that your bike is not street legal. So you better be careful. The plate will not save you from a ticket if you do not have brake lights, horn, mirrors and speedometer which is a bare minimum for riding on Washington State roads including logging roads.

I'm glad you got your plate, I may try a few more places but over here they are pretty familiar with this issue.

• BobbySands

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:34 PM

luckily for me the previous owner of the XR400 did all the work for me with a baja kit and an inspection. trust me on this, the EASIEST way to get street legal dirt machine is to have it done for you. this is why street-titled bikes are worth that much more $$ when it comes time to sell.

the worst part about not having brake lights, turn signals (if they require them in your state-- some allow you to use hand signals) hi/lo beams and a horn is--- when you're stopped by a REALLY nasty cop on a bad day, 45 miles from home, and he says, 'nope, can't ride it. we better call the truck and you can call for a ride from the station.'

if you see 'the man' on a dual sport ride, PUNCH IT!

ha!

*** which mirrors are people using these days? i have no threads on my perches, and need something. not to be legal, necessarily, more so i can see what's behind me. (scared, and well i should be!)

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:41 PM

sweet

• hill5150

Posted September 12, 2005 - 07:08 PM

I just got home from the liscense office with a street plate, street tabs, ORV tabs, two seperate Registrations, one that says CYC, and one that says ORV, and I now have a street legal Xr650r in Washington State!!

damn good feeling isn't it :banghead: I plated my beloved in AZ. just recently, "R"eal easy, you could plate your lawnmower there..................Congrats,................ :applause:

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 12, 2005 - 08:08 PM

i could have plated any kind of dirtbike i wanted the day i got mine liscensed. The only thing she said that might happen would be that Olympia sends me a letter saying i have to get my bike officially wieghed. Because i just signed a pink form stating an estimate wieght for the bike.

oldmantime

U gotta just keep trying and get a few different people to talk to. It was my 3rd time going in when i got mine plated. And it was worth every hour i put into it once i got the plate. And yes my bike has no street parts yet, but the only street riding i've done so far is just around my house, and once to the trails which isn't far. But before i start riding it around the city i'll definently be getting some 17's, a new headlight, horn, tail/brake light and speedo. But i can't see spending 500 bucks on a baja design kit when i can just do it myself, and maybe even rewind my stator for some more light.

• HC

Posted September 14, 2005 - 01:04 PM

Good on Ya !!!
if I see a red blur go by I'll know its you

• Cedarwilly

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:15 PM

Way to go! It's nice having a plate. and the state should be happy to recieve extra registation and annual tag fees for both registrations.

could you share the license agency and the gal's name. No, I don't want a date, just a plate!

• ztsd

Posted November 06, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Congratulations! Just be careful to make it legal and ride it legal so they don’t outlaw dualsports.

I just bought my dualsport kit and can’t wait till it comes in, then I’ll be heading for the registry...

• TimBrp

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:52 AM

ztsd, I'd head to the registry before you buy all your parts. "Just" in case something goes astray, you haven't wasted any money.

• Mokuleia

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:42 PM

If anyone else from Oregon is interested, I just got my '05 650r plated here. Feel free to contact me as to how. Odot has made it impossible to plate an ORV over the last six months or so if the MCO has the dreaded sentence (you know which one).
Tried three DMV offices before it took, go to a busy one late on a friday. $118 for title, and FOUR year registration. Gotta love OR.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.