OBEJ needle, gotta be wrong, '02 YZ426

10 replies to this topic
  • ceetwarrior

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:39 AM

Hey all, I still can't get my jetting right on my bike. It just flat out runs like crap from idle to quarter throttle. It is rough and choppy.

I'm at 6000ft. I've set it at 158main, 42 pilot, 3rd clip position. I've played with 4th and 3rd positions and 3rd makes it run a little better but still not like it should.

It's a Canada model, so I'm having a tough time getting it right. I'm concluded maybe the needle could be the wrong style for what I need. It's got an OBEJ needle in it. Am I on the right track? Thanks

• Pincushion

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:31 AM

All needles are OBEJ, its the last number that advises what taper it is. Ex: OBEJP
Idle to 1/4.... try a bigger pilot.

I ride at about 3k-5k feet and I'm running a 168 main, 48 PJ and EJP needle #3 spot. Bike runs great with the mods listed below.

Edit: I might have dropped to a 45 pilot. Cant remember at the moment.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 09, 2005 - 11:05 AM

Not all needles are OBEJ, stock 00 was an OBEKR.

• Pincushion

Posted September 09, 2005 - 11:24 AM

Oh yeah.... I remember that blasted POS needle.
I usually dont spout unproven nonsense in the tech forums. Sorry bout' that.

• ceetwarrior

Posted September 09, 2005 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I checked and it's a OBEJ - P. I've been reading, what about those NCVQ needles?

I'll play around with the pilot jet some more to see what happens...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:22 PM

The JP needle is what Yamaha used starting with the 01' 426 cause the needle in the 00' was a disaster. It should give you satisfactory results and certainly isnt the problem here. Keep it in the #3 clip.

Yamaha makes all kinds of differnet needles each with a different taper. I wouldn't try a new needle until you diagnose the culprit of this problem first. Try a 45PJ and see if it improves.

How many turns out is the fuel screw?

• ceetwarrior

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Pincushion, thanks.... my fuel screw is 1.5 out right now. I've tried it with 1 out and couldn't tell any different.

I just put in a 40PJ (cause I have one) and didn't notice any difference after a few laps. I'll get a 45 and try it...

I took my bike to a shop and had it rejetted in May. (I've only ridden it twice since then because of my new quad) and they got it running pretty nice. BUT, they loosened up my throttle so it was abosolutely floppy loose. I CAN NOT stand it floppy loose, it drives me nuts. So I retightened it back up and ever since then I've had a problem it seems like. But it's not real tight, it's just tighter than it was.

By tight I mean, less play, and firmer, ya know? They had about 1/4 turn of play in the damn thing, and it was so loose, every time I'd hit a bump it'd chop the throttle. So, I'm wondering if maybe I messed it up.

So again, the symptoms are real rough idle-quarter throttle, and it's hard to get it to recover. Like, if I'm going along on the gas, and I let off for a breaker bump, then get back on it, it'll be real rough and try and die unless I give it more throttle and get it out of that spot. Basically, I cannot ride it 1/4 throttle or less or it's too rough to ride.

But there is no bog when I punch it, and it runs great top end, mid range and all. Sorry for the long reply, I'm just trying to describe it in text form. Thanks

• Pincushion

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:49 PM

Did you tighten the cable at the carb or on the bars? (Is there adjuutment on the bars even? I've never looked). I've only adjusted mine at the carb and I like it tight also. I'll leave about 1/8" of cable slack on the pull cable and about the same for the push cable. It is possible that your cable is too loose/tight and its not opening the slide appropriately.

Also try changing the plug and put some fresh gas in.
I've got a bad habit of trying to fix a problem the hardest way possible. Rather than try a new plug or fresh gas I'll rebuild the carb or something else major.

One last thing..... the AP diaphram tends to squirt too much gas into the carb when you first grab the throttle (yamabog!). There's a fix for it, but if you didn't notice this in the past then its obviously not the problem.

I'm still trying to figure out jetting on these bikes. After 15+ years on 2-strokes I'm having a hard time unlearning what I learned working on them.

• ceetwarrior

Posted September 09, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Pincushion, I loosened the cable at the carb (there's no adjustment at the bars) and rode it loose and it didn't make a difference.

You know, I went for another moto just now and I guess idle-1/4 throttle isn't really correct. It's really idle-1/8" throttle that it stumbles... which kills my trail riding.

Fresh gas, air filter clean, and brand new spark plug. That was last week, when it wouldn't even start, even with pulling it around our field by a quad.

• ceetwarrior

Posted September 11, 2005 - 08:59 AM

Problem Solved Guys! It was the throttle cables just like I figured. Aparently I used to not know to adjust them.

I had a lot of slack on the return cable so it was causing the nightmare for 2 years (only about 40hrs on bike)! I took almost all the slack out of the return cable then got my freeplay out of the pull cable, and BAM, works perfect!!

Thanks for the all ideas. :banghead:

• Pincushion

Posted September 12, 2005 - 06:31 AM

Sweet!
Be sure to keep an eye on the cable ends at the carb as they like to frey and eventually break.

Glad to hear you got it solved.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.