R vs L

19 replies to this topic
  • natblazer

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:54 PM

I am just starting to do some reasearch for a future dual sport bike.

The honda 650 will likely be the way I go based on their reputation.

Looking at honda's site it appears that the L and R are very different machines. Are there any advantages of the L model? It would be hard to pass up on the aluminim fram and water cooling.

Please contribute anything worth mentioning about the differences in these bikes. Thanks.

• big t

Posted September 09, 2005 - 02:04 AM

The L is street legal from the factory and the R is not. The R has more power and weights less. The L has electric start and the R is kickstart only. If you won't have trouble getting the R registered and you will be doing more dirt riding than street riding I would go with the R with a dual sport kit. If you will be on the street more I would go with the L. The seat is more comfortable for longer hauls. I'm sure more guys will chime in with some great advice on witch one will suit your needs the best.

• Supplicate

Posted September 09, 2005 - 05:31 AM

I suggest doing a search, not even two weeks ago there was a thread identical to this that has all the information you are looking for in it.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:37 AM

I would say to anyone, unless you're allergic to water-cooled bikes, or are more laid-back, or are missing a leg, if you can get the R on the street, go that route!

Personally, I wouldn't ride any faster than I do no matter what I had, and I spend a lot of time crawling rocks or thick trailless woods, so the air-cooled bike works better for me.

D

• ghoti

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:21 PM

I suggest doing a search, not even two weeks ago there was a thread identical to this that has all the information you are looking for in it.

No kidding. Probably 500 posts this year. :banghead:

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Put it like this, The L is a tame bike, while the R let's the beast out of you.

Thats not taking anything away from the L but it's true, the R is an unleashed version of the L. So if u can plate a R in ur state DO IT!

• justicedone

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:18 PM

R is for Crazed Crackheads

L is for Latte Sipping Posuers

WORD

• Mark_Bear

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:24 PM

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're different.

• natblazer

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:26 PM

Ya sorry should have done the search.

I now realize this one has been pounded into the dirt many times.

Oh and It will be the R for me. The only advantage of the L that I can see at this point would be the seat.

• big t

Posted September 09, 2005 - 10:10 PM

Good choice :banghead: :applause: Some of the L guys will be :lol: now. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huntmaster

Posted September 10, 2005 - 05:49 AM

I am just starting to do some reasearch for a future dual sport bike.

Ah...nice to see someone finally ask this question! :banghead:
Glad you did a search here....this subject has been beat to death!

• Jayzonk

Posted September 11, 2005 - 06:19 PM

Personally, I wouldn't ride any faster than I do no matter what I had, and I spend a lot of time crawling rocks or thick trailless woods, so the air-cooled bike works better for me. D

Dave is affectionately known by his friends as the Swamp Thing.

• Jayzonk

Posted September 11, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Have you seen the new KTM525XC? Or the 450XC? They've changed the bikes this year, and tricked them out for racing - no mods required! If you're going with the R, you should consider the KTM line. The new models aren't up on the website yet.

• LRXR650L

Posted September 11, 2005 - 08:33 PM

I had an "R" and sold it. Great bike but it didn't fit my riding profile. I have an '04 650 L and love it. I have heavily modified it for enduro and AMA Dual Sport rides held all over the country.

My buddy and I rode 109 miles today :banghead: in the National Forest on single track, fire roads, logging trails, county roads and state highways. Dual sport requires street legal and 96 db or less sound signature. The steet legal lets you connect to some great riding trails if you need to. Arkansas has some of the greatest riding in the USA. In 20 - 30 minutes I can ride to the trail heads and take off.

I suggest you really examine your riding profile and buy the unit that comes closest to your "real" needs. Since I don't really race the "L" is better for me than the "R".

• Triumphs

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:10 PM

Sure...if you win the lottary!
Otherwise, where's the comparison? In Canada the 525EXC sells for almost ten grand...or about three grand more then a 650R! :banghead:

Have you seen the new KTM525XC? Or the 450XC? They've changed the bikes this year, and tricked them out for racing - no mods required! If you're going with the R, you should consider the KTM line. The new models aren't up on the website yet.

• Wheels up

Posted September 12, 2005 - 01:38 PM

Sure...if you win the lottary!
Otherwise, where's the comparison? In Canada the 525EXC sells for almost ten grand...or about three grand more then a 650R! :applause:

Ya but who dosn't put $1500-2000 into their 650 R anyway?

Pipe, carb, compression, cam, rims, skidplate, etc etc etc :banghead:

I mean if the guy is looking for a hardcore dirtbike to put a plate on he should go with KTM.

If he is looking to blob around on something and occasionally go offroad and wipe out he should get the 650 L.

If he is looking for one of the best dirtbikes in the world to dual sport get 650 R.

• huntmaster

Posted September 12, 2005 - 04:27 PM

I didn't! No need.
Whoops, sorry, a Renthal bar. That leaves $2900 difference!
And like the original poster said, it's about a $3,000 difference in Canada. Plus, people have actually been known to put money in KTM's too...like a seat for starts! :banghead:

There might be some merit in the "extra value for a few hundered extra dollars" argument US-based proponents use for KTM's over the Japanese competition, but KTM Canada is smoking crack, charging thousands more...with a 525 EXC priced $200 highter then a base Harley Sportster!That's a lot of money to throw into the rocks on the local trail loop!

Ya but who dosn't put $1500-2000 into their 650 R anyway?.

• Jayzonk

Posted September 12, 2005 - 09:09 PM

It's a bit of a predicament - if you want to race Baja, you could go with the KTM, but, at the same time, the KTM hasn't proven to be reliable at Baja, so it almost doesn't make sense to spend the money on the bike - it's like venturing into the unknown, I think.

• captb

Posted September 12, 2005 - 09:52 PM

Then there's the parts issue, should your bike do a endo and you need plastics or parts, there's allways parts on Ebay for XRs, some of the exotic bikes that's another story, you'll be visiting the dealer and their very proud of their exotic parts and plastics.

• BrettJ

Posted September 13, 2005 - 01:12 AM

red is better than orange anyway... and despite what people have said there is no way you have to spend 3k on the R. Air box = 0, taper bars= 150, barkbusters= 60, dual halogen light = 60, thermostat = 7

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.