01 Wr426 recommendations (tires, sprockets)

36 replies to this topic
  • Joe Reitman

Posted September 13, 2005 - 06:42 PM

Tonight my totally stock but free modded WR ran 76 in 4th per radar. It was accelerating strong but I did not want to wind it out further. I suspect there were a few mph remaining if I had really wrung it out. I was not bouncing off the rev limiter.

I am running 15/50 with fairly Low profiLe K180 dirt track tires, so roughly similar to stock 14/50 with knobbies.

Per manual 4th is 1.05 and 5th is .84. 1.05/.84= 1.25. 1.25x76=95. Not 105, but fairly scary for a dirt bike, especially with no exhaust or jetting and only 250 road miles on the odometer, and not fully wound out...

Just thought I would share :banghead:

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 14, 2005 - 06:46 PM

Ran it again tonight with the "QuietisCool" insert. Revved faster, pulled very strong in 4th to 79, but the second it hit 80 the bike fell flat on its face. Hit rev limiter, instant major bog.

In other bikes and my turbocar the rev limiter just causes a stutter. This was drastic, almost felt like a light siezure! A very scary moment.

But maybe this is the way the WR Limiter functions? Anyone experience this? I don't care to repeat it...

80 in 4th equates to 100 even in 5th. Scary...

• 6fiddy

Posted September 15, 2005 - 01:35 PM

and a drool bucket for your buddies after you show them the power of Blue...

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 15, 2005 - 02:15 PM

and a drool bucket for your buddies after you show them the power of Blue...

:banghead:

I am still curious about rev limiter- searched it here and read literally close to 100 posts on it but inconclusive.

What is the exact RPM limit with Grey wire mod?

Should it be a stutter or the bog I experienced?

Please help. :applause:

• Victor Champion

Posted September 15, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I run the same exhaust insert.
Passed the decible test at the last race with flying colors.
I think the limit was 96db and I came in at 90db. :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:59 PM

Should it be a stutter or the bog I experienced?

yes, you can't miss it,

just hold it flat in first and you will see.

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 15, 2005 - 06:49 PM

yes, you can't miss it,

just hold it flat in first and you will see.

Thanks Matty- but I don't care to repeat it...

• Math

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:15 AM

I officially hit 150Km/h once with my WR with 16-48 gearing, and sirac tires on the pavement. I'm pretty sure I could have reach 160 (100 mph) cause the engine was still able to accelerate the bike but the front fender did not seem to like it... Decided to slow down instead and note that I'm still alive. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted September 19, 2005 - 03:05 PM

I officially hit 150Km/h once with my WR with 16-48 gearing, and sirac tires on the pavement. I'm pretty sure I could have reach 160 (100 mph) cause the engine was still able to accelerate the bike but the front fender did not seem to like it... Decided to slow down instead and note that I'm still alive. :banghead:

you know you can go way faster............
I can get 150km/h out of 14/50
I could get 170km/h out of 15/50 before I got my bike running right.

With 16/48, you should be able to pull 200km/h if your bike has the power.

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 21, 2005 - 01:35 PM

you know you can go way faster............
I can get 150km/h out of 14/50
I could get 170km/h out of 15/50 before I got my bike running right.

With 16/48, you should be able to pull 200km/h if your bike has the power.

Wouldn't that be 125 mph!?!?!?! C'mon...

IF a 16t fit (not on my bike), you are looking at 110 tops if your rev limiter is set same as mine.

• ChR1s

Posted September 21, 2005 - 04:15 PM

What size tires? What tooth sprockets? Or do most people just stay stock?

Chip

Hey, Chip! That bike's still going strong, huh? Cool.

As the second owner of said bike, +2 on the rear sprocket is works very well -- you can forget 1st gear for the most part, but it's there when you need it. Yamaha sells one for short money, under their Accessories line. Chain? DID o-ring is the answer.

The Pirelli MT16 is a durable tire. I typically run a Michelin M12 front, and S12 rear. The S12 works well in the variable terrain around here, but the longish knobs can be a bit sketchy in/on rocks. Just don't put an M12 on the rear. Lately I've been running Dunlops (742f/756r), but they wear quickly.

• idahoaggie99

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hey, Chip! That bike's still going strong, huh? Cool.

As the second owner of said bike, +2 on the rear sprocket is works very well -- you can forget 1st gear for the most part, but it's there when you need it. Yamaha sells one for short money, under their Accessories line. Chain? DID o-ring is the answer.

The Pirelli MT16 is a durable tire. I typically run a Michelin M12 front, and S12 rear. The S12 works well in the variable terrain around here, but the longish knobs can be a bit sketchy in/on rocks. Just don't put an M12 on the rear. Lately I've been running Dunlops (742f/756r), but they wear quickly.

What's so bad about the M12?

• ChR1s

Posted September 22, 2005 - 03:28 PM

What's so bad about the M12?

Around here, it doesn't provide a lot of grip in some situations. It tends to skate along slick, hard surfaces, such as wet rocks and tree roots. For the variable conditions in our area, the S12 (rear) works better more often than the M12. Much of the riding around here is limited to slower, 3rd gear stuff.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Definitely the Dunlop D756 for what you're riding. Perfect match.

For sprockets...Try Ironman or Sprocket Specialties. Both are very strong/durable.

Chain...try a good O-Ring or maybe an X-Ring from D.I.D or Regina.

• Math

Posted September 23, 2005 - 05:51 AM

Wouldn't that be 125 mph!?!?!?! C'mon...

IF a 16t fit (not on my bike), you are looking at 110 tops if your rev limiter is set same as mine.

I would be surprised to see a 426 reach 110mph. I'll have to try a top speed again now that I have new jetting, and FMF pipe but I'm not expecting 110 even with the 16/48 ratio. I just don't think the engine (stock) is strong enough to pull that speed whatever the final gearing ratio is. I've done 110 on my buddy's XR650r once and it's darn fast for a dirt bike :banghead:

• ChR1s

Posted September 23, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Yep, it takes exponentially more HP to push beyond the wind resistance once you start reaching higher speeds, say over 80 mph.

• Nicky_A

Posted March 18, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I went with th perilli scorpians . 70/30.

they  work great on the road and in the trails just not to good in sand!

Bump!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.