Clarke 4.3 gallon tank

8 replies to this topic
  • 4Takt

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:51 PM

I've been looking for a bigger tank for my 650R. I was rather disturbed by pictures of IMS tanks in a recent thread that were full of pinholes, as well as user reports of having to do all kinds of modifications to make the tank fit:
http://www.thumperta...4&highlight=ims

I decided to go with the Clarke 4.3 gallon instead and made sure that I could return it if I wasn't pleased. They will take it back for a 20% restocking fee.

It arrived yesterday and I have to say it looks absolutely perfect. Not a single imperfection and the finish is as smooth as the factory tank. It bolts right up, a perfect fit that requires no negotiating at all. No issues, looks great, feels great, I'm happy.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to other 650R newbies who might be thinking about a bigger tank. :banghead:

4Takt

• 4Takt

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:51 PM

I've been looking for a bigger tank for my 650R. I was rather disturbed by pictures of IMS tanks in a recent thread that were full of pinholes, as well as user reports of having to do all kinds of modifications to make the tank fit:
http://www.thumperta...4&highlight=ims

I decided to go with the Clarke 4.3 gallon instead and made sure that I could return it if I wasn't pleased. They will take it back for a 20% restocking fee.

It arrived yesterday and I have to say it looks absolutely perfect. Not a single imperfection and the finish is as smooth as the factory tank. It bolts right up, a perfect fit that requires no negotiating at all. No issues, looks great, feels great, I'm happy.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to other 650R newbies who might be thinking about a bigger tank. :banghead:

4Takt

• qadsan

Posted September 08, 2005 - 04:39 PM

You're going to find bad comments on just about every product if you look hard enough and those comments are often a tiny sample and not always represenative of the big picture. From reading the thread you posted, it appears IMS was very responsive and hopefully things ended good for both sides. There are plenty of other companies in this industry who may not have been nearly as responsive or friendly.

I currently have 6 IMS tanks (4 XR650R 3.2 dry brake tanks, 1 XR600 tank mounted on a XR250R and 1 KX250 dry brake tank). I personally like the IMS IMS 3.2 better than the Clarke 4.3 and sold my Clarke 4.3 to another TT'r on this board.

• 4Takt

Posted September 08, 2005 - 04:48 PM

I've never tried an IMS product, I just did a search on here and it had me worried about the fit and quality of aftermarket tanks in general.

Just wanted to pass on to other newbies that the Clarke tank I bought fit perfectly. Maybe I should not have mentioned other companies, it was not my intent to badmouth anybody.

4Takt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted September 08, 2005 - 05:00 PM

It's always nice to get more opinions :banghead:. My Clarke 4.3 did have a bit nicer finish, slightly better color match and the fitment was a bit better than my IMS 3.2's, but I just thought the size of the IMS 3.2 was more perfect in physical size for 'my' needs. I too would not have been happy with a tank that looked like the one in those pics even though it wouldn't be long before it got scratched up & nicked. It appears they had some kind of process issue and hopefully too many tanks weren't affected.

• J_Daniels

Posted September 08, 2005 - 05:03 PM

Don't feel bad for performing this service, 4Takt. What I have always heard is that happy customers will tell a few of their friends and angry customers will tell everyone. A good reason for a company to never slack off and offer a bad product or service; one bad result can haunt a company for years, especially in the enthusiast market. -And IMS has shipped way too many ugly tanks. It sounds like IMS has taken decent responsibility for poor quality control, but the fact is that they have shipped a lot of bad products. I have had both Clarke and IMS tanks, and the Clarkes always had better design and quality. Given a choice between the two, it's no contest which company I'll always use.

• justicedone

Posted September 08, 2005 - 06:16 PM

Their 4.0 Clarke XR650L tank is top notch too in both fit and finish. Best quality tank you can get...period.

:banghead:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 08, 2005 - 06:22 PM

i love my clarke xr650l not sure of exact size.......smooth as glass

• roadcam

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:49 AM

my 4.0 gal IMS tank is as close to perfect as it could be ... on my second year of running it, no probs :banghead:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.