backfire's on Decelleration

7 replies to this topic
  • ImpalaR1

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:43 PM

I know this means it's running to lean, but what should i adjust first to get rid of this without changing the rest of the carburation, because it doesn't sputter at any rpm range on acceleration, it's just when i let go of the throttle it backfire's everytime.

I've got a UNI air filter, stock exhaust with hrc tip, uncorked, at about sea level.

What should i adjust first to get rid of the backfire when i slow down?

• Moredesert

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:13 PM

Mine does the same thing. The bike starts first time every time so I didn't mess with it. You can try to raise the needle one clip or try a richer low speed jet. You might be able to dick with the air screw.

I also have a DRZ that never back fired. But because I ride mostly desert 4000-8000' I would have to pull the butt plug out of my pipe for it to run right. I went and changed my needle to a leaner one so it would run better out there but at sea level now it has a slight pop on deceleration. I haven't tried it in the desert yet but I noticed the difference down here.

• joshb

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:15 PM

turn your fuel screw out 1/2 turn at a time until it just stops

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Well i just fixed the problem. I bought my bike already uncorked only a week or so ago, so i've just gone through the liquids, and filter and plug etc.... But the bike was already running great, really powerful and smooth, and all i had done to the carburator so far was adjust the idle.

So after i posted the message above like 10 minutes ago, i went out and checked the first thing and easiest thing to check on a carb, and thats the air/fuel screw. And it was barely 1/2 of a turn out!!! The second i turned it out to about 2 turns out the engine idle went WAY up. So i adjusted the idle again, and then adjusted the screw again to match the idle. I can't believe i didn't notice that air screw was only a 1/2 turn out until now. I took it out for a cruise and it was ALOT more responsive and smooth compared to the real aggressive throttle play it had before. Now it has a smoother power band but if u gun it, it still has all the same aggressivness. And the best part, Not 1 single backfire when i let off the gas! Anyway, i'm happy now that i don't have to be deafend by backfire's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ImpalaR1

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:43 PM

I know this means it's running to lean, but what should i adjust first to get rid of this without changing the rest of the carburation, because it doesn't sputter at any rpm range on acceleration, it's just when i let go of the throttle it backfire's everytime.

I've got a UNI air filter, stock exhaust with hrc tip, uncorked, at about sea level.

What should i adjust first to get rid of the backfire when i slow down?

• Moredesert

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:13 PM

Mine does the same thing. The bike starts first time every time so I didn't mess with it. You can try to raise the needle one clip or try a richer low speed jet. You might be able to dick with the air screw.

I also have a DRZ that never back fired. But because I ride mostly desert 4000-8000' I would have to pull the butt plug out of my pipe for it to run right. I went and changed my needle to a leaner one so it would run better out there but at sea level now it has a slight pop on deceleration. I haven't tried it in the desert yet but I noticed the difference down here.

• joshb

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:15 PM

turn your fuel screw out 1/2 turn at a time until it just stops

• ImpalaR1

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Well i just fixed the problem. I bought my bike already uncorked only a week or so ago, so i've just gone through the liquids, and filter and plug etc.... But the bike was already running great, really powerful and smooth, and all i had done to the carburator so far was adjust the idle.

So after i posted the message above like 10 minutes ago, i went out and checked the first thing and easiest thing to check on a carb, and thats the air/fuel screw. And it was barely 1/2 of a turn out!!! The second i turned it out to about 2 turns out the engine idle went WAY up. So i adjusted the idle again, and then adjusted the screw again to match the idle. I can't believe i didn't notice that air screw was only a 1/2 turn out until now. I took it out for a cruise and it was ALOT more responsive and smooth compared to the real aggressive throttle play it had before. Now it has a smoother power band but if u gun it, it still has all the same aggressivness. And the best part, Not 1 single backfire when i let off the gas! Anyway, i'm happy now that i don't have to be deafend by backfire's.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.