DOT Legal Knobbies

16 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 20, 2001 - 02:17 PM

I am in the market for a set of DOT knobbies for my WR. Does anyone have any suggestions. Where I ride has alot of sand,little mud and some black dirt. Of course they are all trails. I am trying to get the bike street legal. I thought this would open up (getting a plate) more riding possibilties.
Regards, Dennis :)

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 20, 2001 - 04:02 PM

I've run MT21s on my wifes XR250 and don't have any complaints - the tires (nor the bike for that matter) have never been the limiting factor of being able to get up or thru something.

Unless you have some truly hardcore police around I wouldn't sweat the DOT legal tires too much. I haven't had any problems yet....

Brian

• Tree_Crippler

Posted March 20, 2001 - 06:15 PM

Since I owned a DR350s for years I have tried quite a few combos. My favorite still today is the Pirelli MT44 on front and the Kenda Trakmaster II on back. Price is around $110 for the combo. This is for the muddy trails in the east.

• Johnny_Knoxville

Posted March 20, 2001 - 11:52 PM

Pirelli MT-21 no competition.Excellent wear.

• Ben_from_London

Posted March 21, 2001 - 03:50 AM

I use a Dunlop 905 on the front excelent off road and good on road (long lasting). On the rear at the moment I have a Bridgestone ED4 pretty good sofar (tread depth of 16mm) once worn out I'll try the Trackmaster II I have heard very good things about this tyre. I ride in England so alot of mud meaning grip is hard to find on a dot/duel tyre and I've tried a few the worst being the MT21.

• Brad

Posted March 21, 2001 - 03:52 AM

I've had great luck with the Dunlop 606. I think there's supposed to be a version for the front soon if there isn't already.

Brad

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 21, 2001 - 09:13 AM

Kenda Trackmaster II (rear tire): DOT approved, good price, long wearing and great traction.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 21, 2001 - 02:27 PM

Brian do you think the police are going to let me threw when they give me my inspection. I'm in Michigan, anyway I thought a pair of Pirelli MT21's would be good? Yes ?
Dennis

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tige_Lamb

Posted March 21, 2001 - 02:47 PM

Dunlop D606 Rocks! I used it for about 400 miles in moab. Then did two hare's with it because I was low on $ and it still had some decent tread left.

• gbernard

Posted March 22, 2001 - 01:56 AM

I'M ON MY SECOND SET OF DOT MT18 AND ARE VERY HAPPY WITH THE OVER ALL PERFORMANCE,GREAT TRACTION AND GOOD TIRE LIFE. THEY DON'T LAST AS LONG AS MT21s BUT MT21s DON'T GRIP EITHER.

89WR400
GREG

• olson_jr

Posted March 22, 2001 - 04:19 PM

Mr. Dirt, if your in Mi. there would be no harm in trying to get your street title with non DOT tires. If they check and refuse you try another police station or go out and buy the DOT's.
A couple of my buddies have the Kendas on bikes in Mi. The tire works well in our sandy state.
Good luck and see ya on the trail.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 24, 2001 - 01:12 PM

Olson,What the hell, I'm going to try to get it by without the DOT tires.Worst case I buy them. I like the meats that came with the bike. I'll keep you all posted whats going on with this. It will read Dens Dirt and Michigan law ! :)
Dennis

• olson_jr

Posted March 25, 2001 - 07:11 AM

If your the sneaky type you could remove the NOT from the NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE on your tires!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 28, 2001 - 02:49 PM

Any other ideas? :)
Dennis

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted March 28, 2001 - 03:36 PM

Does the bike actually get inspected in MI? The local Yamaha dealer signed off on my paperwork w/o even looking at the bike - & I didn't even buy it from them :)

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 28, 2001 - 03:57 PM

I'm not really sure Brian. I'm just a little apprehensive about the whole thing. The I wish I could find a dealer close to me in southeast Michigan that could do that. I would even settle for taking it to them.
Dennis

• john_pearce

Posted September 27, 2001 - 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Ben from London:
I use a Dunlop 905 on the front excelent off road and good on road (long lasting). On the rear at the moment I have a Bridgestone ED4 pretty good sofar (tread depth of 16mm) once worn out I'll try the Trackmaster II I have heard very good things about this tyre. I ride in England so alot of mud meaning grip is hard to find on a dot/duel tyre and I've tried a few the worst being the MT21.

HI BEN
ITS JOHN AGAIN,
NOTICED YOU ARE USING AN ED4 ON THE REAR.
I'VE ALSO PUT A BRIDGESTONE ED4 ON THE BACK
AFTER THE ORIGINAL MICH COMP 4 WAS KNACKERED.
TROUBLE IS THOUGH I'VE ONLY BEEN OUT TWICE
AND THE THINGS 1/3 DEAD ALREADY (approx
150 miles).THESE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HARD COMPOUND, HOWS YOURS HOLDING OUT?

JOHN IN PORTSMOUTH

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.