Signs of Clutch Wear

4 replies to this topic
  • ripntear

Posted September 08, 2005 - 09:20 AM

I am curious what some of the first signs of clutch wear are. What is it that you can feel to determine if it's time to replace or not without pulling your basket and inspecting everything?

I have started to notice some notchy feel when down shifting that I don't remember being there before.

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:17 AM

The clutch will start to misbehave when parts get worn. Indications are that you've had to adjust the freeplay a number of times because it kept getting tighter, or the clutch slips, drags, or grabs.

Notchy shifter feel is a shifter cam/linkage issue, usually not related to the clutch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ripntear

Posted September 08, 2005 - 09:20 AM

I am curious what some of the first signs of clutch wear are. What is it that you can feel to determine if it's time to replace or not without pulling your basket and inspecting everything?

I have started to notice some notchy feel when down shifting that I don't remember being there before.

Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:17 AM

The clutch will start to misbehave when parts get worn. Indications are that you've had to adjust the freeplay a number of times because it kept getting tighter, or the clutch slips, drags, or grabs.

Notchy shifter feel is a shifter cam/linkage issue, usually not related to the clutch.

• 642MX

Posted September 08, 2005 - 05:12 PM

The only way to tell if your plates are worn is to pull them out and measure them. Fiber plates are cheap, I would recommend changing them once a year if you ride alot. Then you don't have to worry about a breakdown. If you wait and smoke the clutch then you'll need to buy a complete kit with metal plates.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.