Anyone else got a YZ400??

44 replies to this topic
  • rdefonce

Posted May 26, 2009 - 08:48 AM

+1 for '99 400.:crazy:

I bought mine new in '99, just sold it last year. Rock solid motor, finally needed a valve adjustment in '97, they were barely out! Everything else original though, and running like new.

Whoops, I mean't 1st valve adjustment in '07!

• woodman402

Posted March 13, 2010 - 04:39 PM

I have a 99 and I love it ! not to good on the indoor tracks for me but great motocross or harescrambles. I am 47 soi put a Hot cam with the built in auto decompression and that was the best money spent. Just keep the oil changed and valves adjusted.:banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ryan426

Posted March 13, 2010 - 08:22 PM

I have an '01 YZF 426. Bike haul hella a$$!!! I'm new to the 4 thumpers. I've been changing the oil like every 6 hrs and such. Keeping the air filter clean. Seems I made a good purchase.:banana: :lol:

• crash83

Posted March 20, 2010 - 09:06 PM

man i had a 99 loved the motor,but i tried to ride it for a year with a broken hand [torn ligaments and all]wish i never sold it!That motor was perfect.Stil havent found a motor i like as much as that one.

• letitride

Posted March 21, 2010 - 08:50 AM

My roommate finaly sold his 01 426 last year, never had a single thing go wrong with the bike and it was all still original except tires, chain and sprockets. It was the cheapest I've seen some one get into dirtbiking, Bought it for $1600 6 years ago rode the snot out of it and sold it for $1000 and didn't hav e to put any $ in repairs. The bike was raced for a few years before he got it, he was real good about oil changes and air filter maintanece until the last couple years he got layz and went real long on oil changes and I'd finaly clean his air filter for him cause I couldn't stand seeing it so dirty. I finaly checked his valves shortly before he sold it and they were all still in spec. Looked like his timing chain was a little streched though. I think one of the keys to the reliabilty of the 400 and 426 was the fact they held about twice the amount of oil as the newer 450's. His buddy bought the bike from him and rides out at our house so I'll still get to see how long this bike keeps going.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.