Anyone else got a YZ400??

44 replies to this topic
  • mickeydee

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:03 PM

to baad i had to sell mine :lol: (had to pay for my new sm :banghead: )change the oil every 2nd ride ,keep the air filter clean :lol: ,the piston is what likes to wear out faster than everything else.when changing piston change cam chain as well :lol: (they stretch)oh ya if it bogs when cracking the thotle cheak the ac pump linkage they are external on the 99's and like to get dirty.BTW use a honda clutch pertch and lever waaay better :applause:

• 93gt

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:10 PM

I just bought mine a couple of months ago. It was like brand new! I just did the cam swap and a lot of other cool stuff to make the bike better for me seeing Im not racing it. I absolutely love riding it! -Congrats!

• Thumperstu

Posted September 08, 2005 - 07:23 PM

I got one too, awesome bike if it hasnt already do the cam mod sooo much better!!!
:banghead:

• Overdue

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:13 AM

to baad i had to sell mine :lol: (had to pay for my new sm :banghead: )change the oil every 2nd ride ,keep the air filter clean :lol: ,the piston is what likes to wear out faster than everything else.when changing piston change cam chain as well :lol: (they stretch)oh ya if it bogs when cracking the thotle cheak the ac pump linkage they are external on the 99's and like to get dirty.BTW use a honda clutch pertch and lever waaay better :applause:

Thanks I have encountered this problem a couple of times i put it down to being cold but then it happened when it was hot too, Dont mean to sound ignorant but could you tell me where abouts i would find the ac pump linkage did say im a bit od a newb to the thumpers but im likeing the amoutn of knowledge that you guys have on this bike.. :lol:
Definatly looks like i have made the right choice.
Cheers Andy

• Slowmotion426

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:46 AM

maybe you guys can help me, i have the chance to buy a 98 yz 400 or a 00 426. what are the main differences?

Get the 426. You'll like the little bit of extra power. Both are very reliable but the 426 is nearly bullet-proof.

• djo269

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:53 AM

Which would you say is more "bullet-proof"? 98-99 400s, 00-02 426s, or an 03 450? I have a 03' yz450 so was just curious. Which specific year of the model helps too. :banghead:

• Slowmotion426

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:55 AM

The '01 426.

• OreoMan

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:17 AM

Which would you say is more "bullet-proof"? 98-99 400s, 00-02 426s, or an 03 450? I have a 03' yz450 so was just curious. Which specific year of the model helps too. :banghead:

I'm going to have to go with the 99 400, but only because I bounced off a tree doing 30 mph and nothing happened to the bike!!

• LJ

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:27 AM

I love my bike. The only things I've come across is the pilot jet will clog up of you let it sit for too long or you get dirty gas. Also, make sure the rear sprocket is locktited to the rear hub. Other than that the bike is as reliable as an ax.

The oil filter is a pain to replace because the stock exhaust routes right over the oil filter cover. You don't need to pull the pipe, just loosen it up at the cylinder and muffler and you can just rotate it out of the way.

If you do slow technical trail riding in the heat, it will boil over. Some people have had success with Engine Ice (I think that's the name of the product).

I change my oil after every 3 rides (about 6 hours).

• Thumperstu

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:13 PM

Not had any trouble with mine overheating but i have just purchased the coolant expansion bottle off a Wr to fit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Plymouth

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:09 PM

I just got a 99 YZ400. I have only ridden it once so far but it seems great!

Couple of stupid questions:
What's the oil capacity? I found one post that discussed this but the answer was cryptic.
Where under the pipe is the oil filter cover?
Is anyone running a flywheel weight for woods riding? If so, how many ounces?

Thanks!

• Emiliano

Posted November 20, 2005 - 07:30 PM

I got a 99 in great shape, like everybody says keep fresh oil and filter clean and it will last for ever. I'm not competitive, I do most woods and some desert and hill climbs, man this thing can climb all I love it, it haves power everywere, it amazes me. I got a 01 426 for 3 month back in 2002 and It felt a little more powerfull but not too much, just a little. Brakes were like a lot better, in weigt felt the same
I herded 00 426 had some clutch problems, but I'm not sure about this
This bike is so good that I cant imagine how awesome a 06 model would be, it has to be :applause:

• jerryv13

Posted April 09, 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hey guys, i picked up a 99 YZ400 about a month ago, and I'm loving it!!!
Also picked up a '93 RM125 2-smoke, not as fun, but for being my first dirt bikes ever, I really have no comparison point...
I had heard of the reliability of the YZ, and hope it lives up to it
I'm in the process of doing oil/filter change and air filter cleaning :thumbsup:
I've been riding street for over 8 years, and dirt is sooooo much fun that I'm not missing my '03 GSXR1000 or my '02 Aprilia RST1000 :confused: they just sit quietly in the garage
Can't wait to get out on the trails!!!!
Cheers!!!

• yz400joe

Posted April 09, 2009 - 10:35 PM

I have a 400 too! I only bought it last month and I'm hooked, its also in great shape and has a sweet motor?

Whats this cam mod that people are mentioning? I know mine was rebuilt not so long ago, but I don't know if its modified in any way. It does have a very free flowing Arrow slip on. Its definately faster than my buddy's 2000 426 which is also in great shape with an after market pipe. :thumbsup:

• fundgh

Posted May 22, 2009 - 03:24 PM

I have had mine for a year now and love it. It is CA plated and it does great on the 50-100 mile dual sport rides that I have taken it on. The looong highway rides to get to the dirt are fun on it, and I almost forgot that it requires maintenance! It does have the WR charging equipment and is geared a little higher; and gets great range.

It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!

• yz400fsmasher

Posted May 22, 2009 - 04:02 PM

ive had my 98 yz400f for about a year and no problems at all. the cam mod u are reading about is just people buying the hot cams exhaust cam. it has an auto decomp so u dont gotta fight with finding tdc.

• DeeCee

Posted May 22, 2009 - 06:24 PM

Mine's a '98 400F. Great bike, very reliable and smooth power delivery from idle. I ride desert and find it is really easy to ride in the sand. I have fitted and WR coolant recovery tank and found this solves overheating problems (the extra fluid capacity in the systems saves boil overs). As others have said, regular oil changes are a must.

• wesherman

Posted May 22, 2009 - 06:38 PM

I've got a 99' 400 and love it. I ride everywhere and I haven't found a place that gives me trouble. Kills it at the track and works great for single track as well. I just change the oil every fifteen hours and keep the air filter clean. Once I got the carb set up correct (for me it was going a hair bigger on the pilot jet from oem) as long as it starts easy and runs well your valves are good. I just ride the piss out of it. Oldie but Goodie. I love the bike....

• mcondino

Posted May 25, 2009 - 11:04 PM

I bought a 99 with a 426 kit this spring and love it. :crazy: Give it a week to get used to the decomp lever and it will become second nature, I would not bother with the cam swap if you don't already have the engine apart. Like everyone else says, use good oil and change it often. Go fast. Have fun.:eek:

• rdefonce

Posted May 26, 2009 - 08:47 AM

I'm going to have to go with the 99 400, but only because I bounced off a tree doing 30 mph and nothing happened to the bike!!

+1 for '99 400.:crazy:

I bought mine new in '99, just sold it last year. Rock solid motor, finally needed a valve adjustment in '97, they were barely out! Everything else original though, and running like new.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.