01 426 carb issue??

21 replies to this topic
  • banffboy

Posted September 08, 2005 - 06:57 AM

For the last 3 years my bike has run fine (great actually). I'm happy with my jetting, so that's not the issue. In the last couple of rides my bike has started to have an issue (stumble/burble at half throttle in first gear popping and backfiring). Second and third seem to "clean" it out a bit. It seems to get better as the ride goes along, but mysteriously will return part way through ride. The bike starts and idles fine after this, but soon as you put it in gear it dies. I've put a new plug in(wasn't fouled), new gas, drained the float.

Not sure where to go from here :banghead: Any thoughts fellas??

Thanks,

Chuck

• Dirt_rebel

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:29 AM

did u check the carb strainer located at the float check valve..the strainer cud be choke wif dirt particles thus less fuel getting into ur carb bowl.. :banghead: clean up the strainer n see how it goes..

----DR----

• banffboy

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:10 AM

tried that, still acting up :banghead:

• Ripmeister

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:17 AM

My '02 does something similar - but it doesn't die on me. It just sputters a lot at mid range. I've been reading that I need to adjust the needle up a notch to lean it out a bit. I'm going to do that this weekend as soon as I figure out how. Have you tried that?

• banffboy

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:34 PM

My '02 does something similar - but it doesn't die on me. It just sputters a lot at mid range. I've been reading that I need to adjust the needle up a notch to lean it out a bit. I'm going to do that this weekend as soon as I figure out how. Have you tried that?

did you read my post (not a jetting problem) :banghead:

• banffboy

Posted September 08, 2005 - 06:57 AM

For the last 3 years my bike has run fine (great actually). I'm happy with my jetting, so that's not the issue. In the last couple of rides my bike has started to have an issue (stumble/burble at half throttle in first gear popping and backfiring). Second and third seem to "clean" it out a bit. It seems to get better as the ride goes along, but mysteriously will return part way through ride. The bike starts and idles fine after this, but soon as you put it in gear it dies. I've put a new plug in(wasn't fouled), new gas, drained the float.

Not sure where to go from here :banghead: Any thoughts fellas??

Thanks,

Chuck

• Dirt_rebel

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:29 AM

did u check the carb strainer located at the float check valve..the strainer cud be choke wif dirt particles thus less fuel getting into ur carb bowl.. :banghead: clean up the strainer n see how it goes..

----DR----

• banffboy

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:10 AM

tried that, still acting up :banghead:

• Ripmeister

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:17 AM

• banffboy

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:34 PM

did you read my post (not a jetting problem) :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tp3dxf

Posted September 08, 2005 - 09:45 PM

I would pull the carb, take it apart, and give it a good cleaning. The last time I did that I was amazed at the crud that had made it's way in there. You may also want to consider checking your valves as well.

• 96warrior

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:29 PM

When is the last time you cleaned your air filter? This happened to me when I was running stock jetting, some days it would run fantastic like it should, and then it had the mid range miss and low rpm stumbles. Going to a 168 main jet in the 4'th clipp, and the jd blue needle in the 4'th clipp with the 170 cured this. It always runs good now. Odd as it may sound :banghead:

• banffboy

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:15 AM

thanks for the replies guys. Air filter is clean every ride, and it's not a jetting issue. I'm taking the carb off tonight to give it a cleaning. I was wondering if it might be a problem with the TPS :banghead:

• byggd

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:13 AM

thanks for the replies guys. Air filter is clean every ride, and it's not a jetting issue. I'm taking the carb off tonight to give it a cleaning. I was wondering if it might be a problem with the TPS :banghead:

I think I remember reading a thread where Indy said to disconnect the TPS and see if the problem goes away.

Indy?? :applause:

• bigdrtrdr

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Check the slide, Ive seen them crack before.

• banffboy

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Check the slide, Ive seen them crack before.

that was my next thought, thanks guys

• Dirt_rebel

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:39 AM

oso try n check ur float height level..

---DR---

• Math

Posted September 09, 2005 - 06:29 PM

Hey Banff,

Don't forget to check the integrity of the diaphragms (fuel pump and ACV) .

Also, you may want to check the fuel pump bowl, one of my friend told me he found dirt in his. We can't figure out where exactly this came from but worth to check anyway.

I'm sure you pay attention to this but better mention it anyway I guess: this same friend had such problems as yours once using an air filtrer that was not completely dry...

HTH...

Math

• bdmmotard

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:24 PM

I've cracked 3 slides, there's a good place to check, especially if it came on all of a sudden. it'll idle like dog piss, then be ok at speed.

exhaust leak? pipe need repacking?

• tp3dxf

Posted September 09, 2005 - 11:19 PM

Never heard of a slide cracking on a 01 or newer WR? I thought they had worked out that problem. I guess not.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.