Installation of new chain

11 replies to this topic
  • Chad76

Posted September 08, 2005 - 03:15 AM

G'day,

Stupid question...but I have just purchased a new DID 520VM X-ring chain for my 04 YZF 450. Is there a suggested number of links I should remove before fitting this new chain? Do I just remove enough links so the wheel is back to the first notch of the adjustment markers?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

• MotoGoalie

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:05 AM

As long as the chain has proper slack in the adjustment range it doesn't necessarily need to be at the front of the axle, just try NOT to get it too short as then your dicked.

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Shove the wheel all the way forward in the swing arm and trial fit the chain in a couple of spots without cutting it to see what works out to your liking. Remember that you'll be cutting the chain at an even number of links. If you take good care of it, the X-ring won't be stretching much, so if you like to run the axle back a ways, you probably can. Another link can be taken out later if you leave it too long.

• achudasko

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:22 PM

Thanks guys.

Is there a big difference between running the wheel all the way forward to running it further back? What affect does this have on the performance of the bike? I dont do any track work, its all bush.

• MotoGoalie

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:05 AM

As long as the chain has proper slack in the adjustment range it doesn't necessarily need to be at the front of the axle, just try NOT to get it too short as then your dicked.

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Shove the wheel all the way forward in the swing arm and trial fit the chain in a couple of spots without cutting it to see what works out to your liking. Remember that you'll be cutting the chain at an even number of links. If you take good care of it, the X-ring won't be stretching much, so if you like to run the axle back a ways, you probably can. Another link can be taken out later if you leave it too long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • achudasko

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:22 PM

Thanks guys.

Is there a big difference between running the wheel all the way forward to running it further back? What affect does this have on the performance of the bike? I dont do any track work, its all bush.

• djo269

Posted September 09, 2005 - 01:08 AM

Having it further back seems to stretch the wheelbase out. Which might help with stability if you ride at high speeds. I am curious too on what other effects this would have so I hope someone else will tell us.

• CRFThumper

Posted September 09, 2005 - 12:58 PM

Wheel forward=shorter wheelbase=wheelies Wheel futher back =longer wheelbase =more stable at speed.now is it enough that us mortals can tell?
I don't know but it seems to wheelie better with the shorter wheelbase!!! :banghead:

• kbenzon

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:19 PM

did you have the proper amount of links on your last chain? if so do you still have it in order to count the links on it? if not slap chain on and check free tension and remove links as necessary. i use a file and an awl to remove extra links. just file the pin flush and tap it out with a hammer and an awl or pin punch. its pretty simple

• twosixtwo

Posted September 21, 2005 - 12:13 PM

Thanks guys.

You said bush

• Jeremiah

Posted September 26, 2005 - 06:15 PM

i use a file and an awl to remove extra links. just file the pin flush and tap it out with a hammer and an awl or pin punch.

That is a good suggestion. Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.