bike is smoking

26 replies to this topic
  • jonnyrocket56

Posted September 07, 2005 - 09:19 PM

Well i bought a 02 YZ426f at an auction that said the bike was in great condition same with the motor. so i got the bike for $2400 and when i got home i started the bike and let it warm up as the bike got to running temperature a little smoke came out of the exhaust so i thought it was cleaner fluid burning away. well as a minute passed more and more smoke came out and then alot of smoke came out of every hole in the exhaust system.the smoke smells like burning oil. so do you people have any idea what is wrong and if i should fix it or if i should return the bike and get my money back.

• djo269

Posted September 08, 2005 - 12:38 AM

Take it back. I paid almost the same amount for my 03' yz450. Save up a couple hundred more and get a 450! I don't know what could be the problem with it tho, sorry.

• Slowmotion426

Posted September 08, 2005 - 12:53 AM

Return it. My '01 426 doesn't smoke at all.

• 02YZ426

Posted September 08, 2005 - 02:52 AM

Sounds like its time for a top end rebuild, it could be the piston rings or maybe valve seals. Is the bike in good shape otherwise?

• jonnyrocket56

Posted September 08, 2005 - 05:39 AM

yeah the rest of the bike look brand knew the bike starts i kick and looks great. i need the 02 for the green sticker in california.

• fastbyfrank

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:47 AM

I Would Return The Bike.
If It Is Burning Oil You Will Have To Service It And You Should Have Got It For Cheaper.

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:03 AM

It could be as simple as the bike being overfilled with oil (did you add any?)

If not, it isn't something you should have to deal with on a bike you just bought.

• Dano426

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:44 AM

How long did you run it. I am thinking that the engine may had been fogged for storage. Check the oil and the coolant levels. You should have started it before you brought it home

• jonnyrocket56

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:02 AM

the people i bought the bike from are allowing me to give the bike to them so they can break it down and see if i wnt to fix it should i allow they to do that or just get my money back

• jonnyrocket56

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:03 AM

what does fogged for storage mean

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastbyfrank

Posted September 08, 2005 - 08:47 AM

I Would Return The Bike.
If It Is Burning Oil You Will Have To Service It And You Should Have Got It For Cheaper.

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:03 AM

It could be as simple as the bike being overfilled with oil (did you add any?)

If not, it isn't something you should have to deal with on a bike you just bought.

• Dano426

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:44 AM

How long did you run it. I am thinking that the engine may had been fogged for storage. Check the oil and the coolant levels. You should have started it before you brought it home

• jonnyrocket56

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:02 AM

the people i bought the bike from are allowing me to give the bike to them so they can break it down and see if i wnt to fix it should i allow they to do that or just get my money back

• jonnyrocket56

Posted September 08, 2005 - 11:03 AM

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 05:31 PM

Did you add oil or not?

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted September 08, 2005 - 05:45 PM

Means it was either overfilled with Oil or the inside of the cylinder was sprayed for storing and what you witnessed after starting was burn off. I would get it checked out and if you are still not happy - get your $$'s back.

• jonnyrocket56

Posted September 08, 2005 - 06:40 PM

no i did not put oil in it the oil level was fine

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2005 - 10:56 PM

Then absolutely return the bike and insist on a full refund. Go to small claims if necessary. Don't get into a shared responsibility repair thing unless you think you did something to cause it.

• MisterMan

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:47 PM

have them check it...ask to see it ran hard infront for ur eyes.....if it dosent do it again....keep it.....ALSO ASK TO SEE THEM BREAK IT DOWN.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.