baja 1000 advise for east coast guys

37 replies to this topic
  • BajaBoundMoto

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:37 AM

No kidding, That's exactly why I told him he should contact these guys for advice. How is that giving a false sense of security?

I can see how you could take my original post as meaning "you" specifically, but it wasn't meant that way. So I've changed some words in that post. There was absolutely nothing wrong with what you wrote. The NC guys should absolutely contact Fred Brown. The Browns are FAR more preparred for Baja than many other racers, even better than lots of guys from Calif.

• irondude

Posted September 09, 2005 - 08:53 AM

If you think FEMA did the right thing by cautiously waiting for 4 days to go to the convenetion center "it was wet" and "there where people with guns" and "some roads where nearly impassable"--then by all means the Baja 1000 is a dangerous thing and you should consider renting race bikes from one of the companies that does that and have 'the experts' show you how to do it....or better yet spend a few years racing smaller baja races and slowly work your way up. It might take years and $40,000--and you might get old and loose interest--but at least you will have minimized risk....lets face it-- down in baja "its dusty" and "there are people with guns" and "some roads are nearly impassable" !!!!!!!!

On the other hand:

If you think the director of FEMA should have flown to New Orleans himself on day 2, strapped on a 9mm, shouldered a M-16 and personally driven the lead hummer in a 100 truck convoy straight to the convention center--shooting and killing anyone who tried to stop them (preferably with a helicopter gunship)....than you are going to have a blast at the 1000-dont waist your time or money overly preparing-do the basics (hotel, pits, bike, communications, chasers) and have fun! Ride smart--pull over and let the dust settle when the trucks pass ya. Dont drink the water. You'll be fine.
....and yes they have helicopters ready to airlift you to safety.

• True520

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:53 AM

I am one of the NC riders prepparing to come (and yes I am the slowest too)...but I can't get one thing out of my mind...They drive a friggin Truck thru the course...or better yet, a stock OEM bug...as for the terrain, it will be like a washed out gravel road for us (you can barely race a XR-650-R on our NC tracks because it is so big and fat...we call 4-wheeler race tracks a highway and don't usally like them...GNCC races are wider and faster than what we like...and all of us have finished well in those...)so terrain has not even been considered...the rest is what we are working on...Pitts, rentals, hotels,ect...I am more worried about getting sick from the food and water than I am the race...I must admitt, I am not excited about people with guns that don't speak my language...but I am thinking there are alot more nice people who like the race than don't...As for the distance...we are bringing 7 riders for an 828mile race...I was actually thinking that we may not get enough seat time each...so we may bring 8 and make 2 teams...just got to buy another bike...and we are not racing one of our dual-sports...(4) of us have xr-650s for dual-sports...and like I mentioned earlier...I couldn't imagine racing that pig (on our tracks)...Hell, if we don't get lost or sick we'll finish up front....quarantee it! :banghead:

• Husky_Forever

Posted September 09, 2005 - 03:34 PM

Well you sure sound committed. We have a guy I've raced with two years in a row for the Baja 500. "Fat Rob" Ransforth from Chicago. He has raced 4 Baja 500's in a row, two of them solo. He comes out one week before the race, doesn't pre run, races with bare pit support and until his third race, never finished before the time limit was up. During the daytime, its not hard to keep on course or find it if you miss a turn. But at night, you can stray as much as 10 miles or more off course and then be truly lost. Lost like wait until daylight to get going again. Or lost like "I don't see anything" and run out of gas first. There is no moon during the time of year the 1000 is run. I was confused at 1 am during the Baja 1000 in 85 and had to wait 10 minutes for a buggy to pass me to make sure I was one the right track. At another part, I took the wrong race markings (left over from another race) for 1 mile and lost 2 places in doing so. That was at RM 780 after I had been on the bike 5 hours at night.

If your not going to pre run at least once, then you have to make at least a 25 mph average over the ENTIRE course to keep from houring out at one of the many checkpoints. Nothing worse than spending $1,000's of dollars and then houring out during the race. Somebody almost always gets killed during these race's. Sometimes spectators and sometimes racers. Broken legs, femurs, backs, ankles, collarbones, ribs and wrists are as commen as flies on a pile of c___! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just things to be aware of when tackling the hardest race in the Score season. :lol: I love the Baja 1000 and I really love racing at night! :busted: But my 1st Baja 1000 ended in DNF when my partner crushed our rear wheel at RM 45 :lol: and it took us 8 hours to get to the bike and change the wheel. :lol: Then his leg hurt to much to race on and I ended up riding his day time sections at night, which in the end made us quit because I only pre ran my sections. :busted: His sections were 1/3 of the race course for a total of 320 miles. I learned for my next 1000 in 85, to pre run ALL the course, both the day sections in the day and the night sections at night. We finished 6th in Class 22 that year because of that and my partners good skills at bike prep and bringing spare wheels ( I crushed a rear hub at RM 270). Make sure ALL your partners are invested in this race. A partner that doesn't have his own money invested, will sometimes quit since "they dont have any money to loose by doing that".

I'm the Operations guy for bikes and quads racing with Baja pits Race Team. :banghead: You can contact me at Bajahuskys@Yahoo.com. DO NOT DEPEND ON A TRUCK TEAM TO PIT YOU. You will be very sorry, trust me. If one of you break down, the chase crew must wait for you. What happens to the one still racing? :applause: That's right, they are shebobed! Steny

• elkinthrobber

Posted September 09, 2005 - 07:20 PM

Sounds like bajaboundmoto guy thinks we just took off our training wheels (but i'm still going to leave the baseball cads in the spokes!) just so evreyone knows the movie Deliverance was NOT filmed in North Carolina and we all are not NASCAR fans and we don't marry our cousins! that being said some of this feedback is so negative that it's a wonder that anyone finishes ALIVE! after all evreyone has to have a first time to race anything! Look i know it's going to be hard and that is precisely why i want to do it. I mean did you listen when someone tried to talk you out of it ? NO because if you did you would not be racing it or anything else! now i'm going to offer a little southern hospality and invite you come over here a race a GNCC event! now don't worry i won't try to talk you out of it by warning you of the hazards such as the inbreds who hide in the woods and waiting for behind a tree so they can make you squeal like pig! or the abortion clinic bombs placed there by Eric Rudolph just because he knows how to make em! and at this one race i personally saw a Bigfoot tear a set forks right off a KTM 450 i have a snapshot ........ the point i'm trying to make is simply this i refuse to live my life in fear! and all we asked for was a little advise and what we got from SOME is don't come or you will get killed! and there are SOME who gave great advise and for that i would like to say THANKS!!! the offer still stands about the GNCC!you can evan stay at my house!

• Cactus Dave

Posted September 09, 2005 - 09:24 PM

Gentlemen -
See http://www.advrider....ead.php?t=93434
You can do the Baja Mille as we did - I don't recommend it. Planning, pre-riding, planning, preparation, pre-riding, support, planning, pre-riding at night, experienced riders, planning, and preparation are key. Did I mention planning? Fred Brown and his team were key to our ability to survive and finish. Fred's team, which also included Jamie Aguilar, an AMA pro dirttracker, and another VA expert-level rider who did not get to ride his section because Tommy was ripping, at night, such that he out ran the support vehicles (not a problem for us), is among the best prepared - in all respects. Fred's experience and approach to Baja is exemplary, and it includes a bit of planning. I suspect that Bajaboundmoto is Tim Morton - a Baja rider and racer who knows of what he speaks. Heed his comments carefully. Have fun, be careful, and good luck. You'll have the ride of a lifetime.

• irondude

Posted September 09, 2005 - 10:11 PM

All i can say is the head of FEMA was just fired.

:banghead:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 10, 2005 - 12:08 AM

I look at the Baja 1000 like this:

Baja 1000= mucho dinero

logistics,logistics,logistics......

Riding is half the battle... Hotels, Gas, Insurance, Food, Entry, Bike, Pits, Pre-running (if you want to do well) Time off of work..

Now that I think about it, Baja is more like this:

Baja 1000=Mucho dinero and Mucho commitment...

And if you finish is mucho glory.... :banghead:

• big t

Posted September 10, 2005 - 12:18 AM

Where are all you guys from NC at? Where do you ride? I grew up in Brevard and still have family in Asheville, Charlotte, and Greensboro. I get back to NC about twice a year and usually bring a bike. Good luck and be careful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elkinthrobber

Posted September 10, 2005 - 06:21 AM

most of us live in Marion NC (real close to Brevard) and as for where we ride it just depends on what type? motocross, woods, dual sport? but one the most popular places is Brown Mountian and that is located in Morganton NC (about 30 min. from here) so the next time you are in NC give us a call!

• Husky_Forever

Posted September 10, 2005 - 10:37 AM

That was a great story on racing the 1000 to La Paz. :applause: Isn't it fun. :lol: The old days (late 60's to mid 80's) you used to race that race with just 2 guys and it was held every year. Now it is every 3 years and you can have up to 8 guys per entry. Still fun though and great story telling for years to come. :banghead: Steny

• irondude

Posted September 10, 2005 - 06:29 PM

actually its down to la paz every other year.

you can have 4 on a team--or pay an extra $50 per person after that.

my first experence with Baja races was in 1974--my dad was covering it for Cycle News!

• big t

Posted September 10, 2005 - 07:31 PM

most of us live in Marion NC (real close to Brevard) and as for where we ride it just depends on what type? motocross, woods, dual sport? but one the most popular places is Brown Mountian and that is located in Morganton NC (about 30 min. from here) so the next time you are in NC give us a call!

Sounds good. I've been to Brown Mtn. Earlier this year I went to Brushy Mtn with Goosedog and a couple of other guys from TT.

• Cosmo

Posted September 12, 2005 - 07:44 PM

I look at the Baja 1000 like this:

Baja 1000= mucho dinero

logistics,logistics,logistics......

Riding is half the battle... Hotels, Gas, Insurance, Food, Entry, Bike, Pits, Pre-running (if you want to do well) Time off of work..

Now that I think about it, Baja is more like this:

Baja 1000=Mucho dinero and Mucho commitment...

And if you finish is mucho glory.... :banghead:

That's a GOOD start! Prerunning is a MUST! If you have NO experience in Baja then this is a must! First,you'll get a feel for the terrain,you'll KNOW where you are going.Prerunning alows you to test your bike.There is a BIG difference between "trailriding" and racing this event.IF you can keep your speed up you shouldn't be caught by the trucks,buggy's etc.This year's course so far is sounding like a fun course.Yet it won't be an "easy" race.I would take this very seriously,the speeds you are racing at,with all the variables (booby traps,people,cars,drunks in cars,wrong way vehicles coming at you,nite riding,fog,etc.....)can and has led to deadly results.I'm not a world champion,but I have raced the 1000,and the Baja 500.I will tell you that it's one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.I learned from some of the best riders.I have been there for the highs and the lows.Steny and Tim KNOW what they are talking about!!I would trust those guy's any day of the week! Good Luck,be safe,I'll be down there,I might race in a1600 car(2 seat VW buggy). Way different than a bike!

• Virginia_racer

Posted September 13, 2005 - 08:26 PM

Last year three riders from VA finished 10th overall motorcycle in the 1000.
Fred Brown/Perry Brown/Tommy Tomlinson were riding a 650R. I'm not sure what class they were in but they could probably offer you some advice. Fred Brown is the owner of Wythe Raceway in Rural Retreat VA. You can find his contact info at this link.

www.wytheraceway.com

You got us pegged Stonewall. I have talked to that Carolina boy and we are gonna get him to the Baja.
As far as the 04 Baja 1000 our night rider, Tommy Tomlinson, hauled ass and we could not catch him with either chase truck. He got on at 5pm and rode all night until about 3am. I rolled in to La Paz about 6am and said "dude, I think you just won our first race for us!" He did, our first Sportsman win. This year we are moving to the 30 pro.
So any of you east coasters that need help give us a shout. This will be our 7th Baja 1000 attempt.
Fred Brown-64, Rural Retreat, Va
Peery Brown-41, Rural Retreat, Va
Tommy Tomlinson-35, Rural Retreat, Va
Stan Stinnett-35, Chesapeake, Va
Jaime Aguilar-35? Stockton, Ca
You can find me www.racerattlesnake.com

Peery Brown

P.S. Jaime can you please friggin call us, or we are deporting you back to Mexico. All your numbers have been D/Ced

Anyone got Bruce Olgivie's number? I lost it

• Virginia_racer

Posted September 13, 2005 - 08:33 PM

Gentlemen -
See http://www.advrider....ead.php?t=93434
You can do the Baja Mille as we did - I don't recommend it. Planning, pre-riding, planning, preparation, pre-riding, support, planning, pre-riding at night, experienced riders, planning, and preparation are key. Did I mention planning? Fred Brown and his team were key to our ability to survive and finish. Fred's team, which also included Jamie Aguilar, an AMA pro dirttracker, and another VA expert-level rider who did not get to ride his section because Tommy was ripping, at night, such that he out ran the support vehicles (not a problem for us), is among the best prepared - in all respects. Fred's experience and approach to Baja is exemplary, and it includes a bit of planning. I suspect that Bajaboundmoto is Tim Morton - a Baja rider and racer who knows of what he speaks. Heed his comments carefully. Have fun, be careful, and good luck. You'll have the ride of a lifetime.

No way this could be one of Home Depots Big Gun lawyers?

LOL

Hi ya Dave,
Yall did great, Tommy and I were just talking about you guys. You guys had the toughest part of the course, yet you hung in there and finished.
Did Spice ever write up a story and post it? That would be a great read and perfect for this thread.
Come on out with us. Working on my Harescrambles race and this year's race bike.

Talk to ya soon,
Peery Brown

Aha! I just saw your link for the forum with Chris Jone's recap..

• stonewall

Posted September 13, 2005 - 08:43 PM

Good luck in the 1000. I hope you all can pull off another win this year. :banghead: :applause: :lol:

It's been several years since I was there but The Rattlesnake is the best hare scrambles in VA. :lol:

• Virginia_racer

Posted September 13, 2005 - 09:22 PM

Wow, thanks Stonewall. I need guys like you.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.