cracked case.

4 replies to this topic
  • specialk

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:36 PM

Cracked case on a xr650L! The shifter went right through the case on a left side tipover. Need input please. Should I repair it or spring for a new one. Does cfc make case guards for a xr650l like they do for drz400s?

• goblin127

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:41 PM

Some peoble have been fixing with jb weld. this has been a very common problem. Do a search you should get quite a few hits. Some day it will be my turn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • old man dan

Posted September 06, 2005 - 05:43 PM

If its not broken too badly you should be able to repair it with JB WELD. Get it at napa or similar auto parts store. Rough up the area with a die grinder and apply both inside and outside the case and then use the die grinder or a file to smooth it out and then paint it. Its just the ignition cover right? no oil behind it so you really just need to keep water out. Maybe post a picture and you'll get more and better advice.

• roadcam

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:43 PM

after patching it up with the JB Weld, you may want to epoxy a small disc of sheetmetal over it for a little future protection ...

• socalxr650

Posted September 06, 2005 - 06:47 PM

Same thing happened to me. I dropped it in the drive way, and the shifter went through the case cover. I too thought about the JB Weld fix, but since it is a brand new bike opted to go the replacement route. It cost about $200 at the Honda shop but well worth it in my opinion.

And tho the question about the oil behind the cover, yes there is oil in there, I collected a few quarts in the oil drain pan before I got it to the shop.

Any way you go about it, good luck!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.